Fifth Gear's format is getting interesting

Danny Tran

or <br /><div class="bigusername">Tranny Dan?</div
I'm prefering Fifth Gear's regular segment line:

1. Track shoot-out
2. New cars (but are they any good)
3. Comedy/reality segment
4. Sports car/supercar/super-saloon with Tiff

Plus, they do include alot more consummer-oriented advice too (when's the last time we saw the Top Gear down-to-earth board?

Ideally, I'd have the more charming Top Gear presenters hosting Fifth Gear.

Yes, I must say Top Gear is getting rather rediculous now, there used to be a time when you could get proper advice from it and they tested real world stuff, now it's just "Oh, look at my big shiny supercar, oooh". I still watch it although I feel they should name it "Pop Gear" because they try to appeal to the popular audience now.

Ying and yang honestly. Fifth Gear is doing nicely with "proper" reviews and Top Gear is awesome as ever with comedy gold.

Ying and yang honestly. Fifth Gear is doing nicely with "proper" reviews and Top Gear is awesome as ever with comedy gold.

Amen to that and the quality of the current series of Fifth Gear is great.

Although the bits when Tiff and Jason do dog fights between to similar cars are starting to get abit gay. (example: Porsche Cayman Vs BMW 135i Coupe)

Gib

shouldnt this thread be in fifth gear section.??

I'm really liking Fifth Gear too. They're getting things down finally. They got rid of Lovejoy and that stupid segment on destroying someone's car, or whatever that dumb segment was called.

I kind of wish TopGear would go back to what they use to do and provide a few more educational segments, and cut back on the massive amount of scripting and fake/setup segments they're running currently.

Yes, I must say Top Gear is getting rather rediculous now, there used to be a time when you could get proper advice from it and they tested real world stuff, now it's just "Oh, look at my big shiny supercar, oooh". I still watch it although I feel they should name it "Pop Gear" because they try to appeal to the popular audience now.

Well put, while i still love Top Gear, it really has become pop gear. whats interesting is i rewatch my series 1-6 eps constantly, but th more recent series 8-10, not as much. Theres just something about the more consumer-oriented eps accented with crazy fast supercars that i love. Now i feel like the show keeps substituting their substance with more flash. It's like trying to enjoy a meal that is all sauce and seasoning without any actual food.

You could some up FG in one sentence.... 'It's new but is it any good?'

Answer: No. :lol:

Ok maybe a lil too harsh, but that segment in particular is terrible... Tom picks Veyron, VBH picks Hyundai Coupe. :roll:

I think that 5th Gear is getting better, but we can't compare it with Top Gear. In 5th we've got show about cars with supercars. TG is more fun, passion, its for petrolheads, who news about cars can find on their own, they want to hear and see the feelings. I like watching both shows, but TG is really on top of everything.

yeah, fifth gear is very good now, and I miss TopGear like it was in seasons 3,4,5 and 6

I really do not miss Top Gear reviewing all the new boring little cars as they come out. Those are the segments I will always skip if I am rewatching an older show. I don't know about the rest of you, but I am watching the show for entertainment, not because I need to know what the best 1.5 litre diesel hatchback is for a particular year. If I needed to know that, I could go look up all the stats online. Why bother people with cars nobody really cares about? The real appeal of the show for me is to live vicariously through them as they put the latest supercars to their limits.

That is where I want to be, not in some boring little micro.

Eh TG said they made a bobo by doing the last series as entertainment after the Hammond crash changed the layout (expensive entertainment stuff instead of car cheap stuff). They also said that TG is a motoring programme and will go back to being more a bout motoring. They also had some pictures of affordable cars a few times ! FifthGear is more revelant but a little more geared to the buyer, kinda like the Used Car Roadshow meets TG.

I agree that FG has made quite progress in the structure of the programm and I really like the used-car segments jonny had this year. It?s new but is it any good is good most of the time too.

Last two series it seemed they were just trying to copy more of TG, and now it seems they?ve found their own style (again). I like that and I don?t want TG to be like them ... I like it that they differ, so in the End I don?t get two sides of the same concept, but two concepts ... both with strengths, both in their own way watchable. That?s WinWin for me :)

The problem I've found with recent TG's is simply that they don't talk about enough cars. Like when they gave us their car of the year on the show it was the new Ford Mondeo and the Subaru Legacy Outback neither of which they even mentioned on the show. Its all good that they show us all sorts of "cool" cars and fast cars, but don't you think it gets a bit boring when they test the Aston Martin Vantage 3 or 4 times? And the last time was against a man with a jet strapped on. I'd rather get a quick review of some more common cars that I might be buying in the future.

In that sense Fifth Gear has almost got it right, their format is very well balanced with lots of sensible cars and some fast ones as well. They have some entertaining segments, informative segments, even the usual celebrity segments I can't stand since I don't know any of them. Its just sad that Top Gear is so close to being perfect, if they just added a few more quick car reviews.

Reactions: TC
I never thought i'd say this, but i'm enjoying the new FG's more then the recent TG's.

Treks across africa are all well and good, but i'd rather see how the S2000 compares to the 350Z.

. I'd rather get a quick review of some more common cars that I might be buying in the future.

In that sense Fifth Gear has almost got it right, their format is very well balanced with lots of sensible cars and some fast ones as well. They have some entertaining segments, informative segments, even the usual celebrity segments I can't stand since I don't know any of them. Its just sad that Top Gear is so close to being perfect, if they just added a few more quick car reviews.

Couldn't have put it better meself. Thats wht I had posted this thread in the TG section... move it back! :lol: