File format of the HD versions of next TG season?

mkv > mp4
Indeed.

If you want to play it on your console, then convert it, but the rest of us shouldn't have to suffer just for you. :p

Besides, if you really want to play it on the ps3/xbox then you can convert it yourself.

If u managed to convert and it played well why are you asking for it to be ripped in another format? I mean these guys here are ripping it just out generosity so if i can't play the video i normally download a codec for it or convert it at my own expense.

my 2c but yeah

Also don't they have HD episodes of TG on the PS3 online thingo?

Only 3 episodes from season 6 and since it wasn't recorded in HD, no it's only in SD.

It offers the best quality in the smallest package, meaning I don't need to download a 7 GB .wmv (or whatever will play on xbox/ps3) file when it could be a 1.5GB .mkv
MKV is just the container. The polar special was encoded via x264. Think AVI and Xvid.

As for MKV versus another container, I'm not sure about the technical reasons so I'll let someone else answer that question. All I know is that it's used for a reason.

If u managed to convert and it played well why are you asking for it to be ripped in another format? I mean these guys here are ripping it just out generosity so if i can't play the video i normally download a codec for it or convert it at my own expense.

my 2c but yeah

I don't think you read the whole thread,did you? Because first I was asking if the episodes could brought out as mp4 to play them an my PS,3 because I didn't managed to change the container.
Than db2450 told me the program and NOW it's working well.
So there is no problem for me anymore to use the mkv container.

In which format will the HD version of the next season be ripped? I'm asking because the test Episode, the polar special, doesn't work on my Playstation 3 without converting it completely. It's actually a but strange because the video in in x264 and the sound in AC3, both work, but not in combination with mkv.
So would it be possible the rip the episode so that they work (mp4,x264,ACC)?

I don't think the scene cares about your playstation....

^ Great, there you go. Thread over.

Nothing beats XenonMKV:
http://xenonmkv.ev98.net/

A simple re-packer designed to take an mkv and put it into a 360-compatible mp4.

This is probably the best toll to remux mkv's into mp4/vobs: mkv2vob.

<snip>

Both options

Those of you wondering why alot of people on here say MKV > MP4. Its because MKV supports AC3 which is probably the best audio codec availible in a single file format and anything that plays MKV's usually supports 5.1 channel surround sound AC3, while a lot of MP4 players (360/PS3) only support 2 channel AAC.
(I pretty much said this before, but if you didn't read my first post: If you use mkv2vob for the PS3 and remux into a Vob file, you keep the AC3 surround sound audio)

Edit: Btw, if your MKV files are above 4GB (the 1080p rip) you pretty much have to use mkv2vob, because both the PS3 and 360 only support MP4/Vob files under 4GB. (The PS3 will lots support them if they are streamed or on a DVD, I'm not sure about the 360.) mkv2vob has a file splitter build in, you should make sure the file splitting is set at 4GB.

Last edited:
Surely they don't support >4GB files because the hdd system can't handle them, like FAT32.

Maybe it's a good idea to bring a url file with the mkv2vob side next to the video in the torrent.