Filters (Circ-Pol + ND)

^ When I was buying my Cir-Pol filter from my local shop, they said the difference was a coating on the glass, IIRC. Does anyone know if that's the ony difference between the two Hoya filters?

Since I was on a budget, I went with the normal one. So far it has produced very good results, though I've only used it one time, and it seemed to slow the camera a lot; it was a bright, sunny day yet I was forced to shoot at 1/100" most of the time. Restricted to that speed I practiced my panning :p

Last edited:
It's the size of the lens, for example my D40 has 52mm lenses. :)

I'm still super impressed with the ?7.99 Camlink lens I bought, there's never any colour cast over the image and quality is impressive enough for me.

^ Be careful in saying that your camera has 52mm lenses. The 18-55mm lens is 52mm, but my 70-300mm is 62mm. It says on the bottom of the lens is you are in any doubt.

^ Be careful in saying that your camera has 52mm lenses. The 18-55mm lens is 52mm, but my 70-300mm is 62mm. It says on the bottom of the lens is you are in any doubt.

Yeah, what I meant was both of my lenses are 52mm (18-55mm and 55-200mm). :)

Im guessing its the "58mm" on the bottom?

http://img66.imageshack.**/img66/8057/sizeeq3.jpg

Oh, I also went to 2filter.com and looked up Hoya circ pols... there are lots of different ones. Will I be fine with this one: http://www.2filter.com/hoya/hoyapolarizers02.html

And whats with different color-ones? They just saturate that one color more or what?

Last edited:
^ Yup, that circle with a line through it means 'diameter', or the distance across the end of the lens i.e. the size of filter you need.

^ I think I have the one in the top left of the pic (to lazy to go check) that's fine :)

The "colour" codes represent the quality of the filter. Some have better coatings and are more flare-resistant than others, and price increases as you head towards the Pro series. As long as you get a circular polarizer (not a linear) you should be OK.