Filters (Circ-Pol + ND)

Alright well my next question is what is the benefit of a UV Filter if any.

This is an australian store, are the prices fair? Ted's

It seems a little steep, since I paid less than $25 AUD for my Hoya filter.

And what is the benefit of a UV filter? Well, it is two fold, really. Firstly, think of it as cheap insurance. That filter may be clear as a bell, but it will protect your lens not only from harmful light, but dust and dirt, etc.

Alright well my next question is what is the benefit of a UV Filter if any.

This is an australian store, are the prices fair? Ted's

I used to use UV filters as I was paranoid I would damage my lenses, but I dont anymore. As Jay said, they help prevent dust and scratches appearing on your lens. I think they also limit the amount of 'haze' on photos, especially landscape. Im not too sure about that though.

Personally, I dont use them. Light has to pass through a lot of glass before reaching the CCD, and I'd like to keep it to a minimum!

The only time I use a UV filter is if I am going to an area that is known to be dusty, like a racetrack, and only on a cloudy day. Otherwise, I use the CP. Here is a good example of eye popping colors using one:

https://pic.armedcats.net/2007/11/10/DSC0155.jpg

looking... wait for edit

EDIT:

cpol_example.jpg

and about the blurriness, i shoot on Apperture priority, so the exposure sometimes falls quite a bit bellow 60, because the filter lets less light through.
:unsure:

Hope this isn't considered a thread bump, but I have a question related to CP filters.

After reading this tutorial and a related article in a digital photography magazine, I've put my foot down and decided to go get a CP filter. My trouble is choosing the right one. I've found filters that go from $65 CAD all the way up to $160 CAD. These are the filters I've found at a camera supply store here called Henry's. I'm not necessarily going to get a filter from them as there are a few reputable camera shops here. I'm just using them as a guide:

Henry's store-brand filter
B+W filter
Sigma filter
Canon filter
Tiffen filter
Hoya filter

Any advice on what kind of price range I should go for? My camera is the Canon Digital Rebel 6.3MP (it may be old, but I still love it) using Canon's 18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses, each taking a 58mm thread size. I'm willing to pay for a decent filter, because I believe quite firmly in getting things right the first time. Conversely, I don't want to get ripped off.

This may seem like a loaded post, but any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated! :D

IceBone I think you'll find if you use a telephoto lens you might have more luck, the further away you are, the larger the area effected, the closer the less area as you've seen.

Actually it might also work better on f/8,f/11 or similar as that will tend to use the center of the glass/filter etc

I only have a P&S, really and even at wideangle my angle is too narrow for my taste. *sigh*

Just got my Hoya CPL, will see how it compares to my LPL (Cokin A series) when I get a chance. Need to get my lens (50mm prime) that doesn't rotate when focusing, with the CPL on my other lenses (and indeed the LPL, although easier) I have to keep adjusting when focusing..

very interesting thread,

now i really want a CPL.

atm, i use a canon 400d with the 17-85mm IS usm + Hoya UV filter + canon lens hood.

first question: Is it ok to have Both UV filter and CPL on at the same time (both will be hoya)

2nd: does it matter which way i have them. ie. UV then CPL or CPL then UV stacked.

3rd: If i have CPL, do i need lenshood? or should i leave it on either way?

4th: can you please provide photos with and without UV on the CPL, or even just the UV itself?

thanks a lot for your time. i would like to learn more from you guys ~ :p

1st question: I believe you can although it isnt something I do personally. I try to limit the amount of glass the light has to go through, so I leave the UV out.

2nd question: At an educated guess, I would have the UV first, then the CPL ie. the UV doesnt rotate.

3rd question: I always use a lens hood. What I do is find a position, take the hood off, set the polariser up on a test run, then put it back on again :)

4th question: Thats not something I can do as I dont have a UV filter of the correct size. Tbh, I cant imagine it'll make a huge amount of difference, but I may be wrong!

One other issue with having filters stacked is that you might get vignetting. That's something you have to try and see, I guess.

Hey, guys, i'm looking for a dark filter. When i went to the waterfall shoot, i wanted to get that long exposure blurred water effect, but since it was still quite bright outside, i couldn't get over 1 second even with the aperture at f/32... Is there a filter i could get that would just make the pic very dark? I know i could have used my c-pol, but i stupidly forgot it at home, plus i'm looking for something darker than that.

That'd be a neutral-density filter you're looking for, then. You can get them in different darkness flavours, but stay away from Cokin ones.