Final Gear Challenge

I am going to be the boring, sensible one. If you want something that will get you to school everyday and is dead reliable, get this:

toyota_corolla.jpg

Toyota Corrolla. It so plain you could drive 90 MPH in a school zone past a police officer and they not notice you.

This is the best I could find in the time allowed (at work right now).
http://img101.imageshack.**/img101/398/985226873209408133im1main565x421a565x318jf6.jpg
1990 BMW 525i for $4900
5 speed
unlisted mileage (though it says the engine only has 210 miles on it)

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
triumph - Bah! You broke the

matt2000 said:
i would buy this
clicky
$2500 with only 82000 miles (nothing for one of these and i like the colour)
Now you certainly won't be picking up chicks in that! :p But you could have the maddest fun with it, even if it doesn't bring in the ladies.

I like :thumbsup:

Yep it's true, blue series 3 landy was my first car, I didn't pickup any chicks, saying that though I still don't....... maybe it's not the car ;)

I love how many people have gone with Mercedes!

GraemeH said:
Beat me to it. 8)

Unfortunately in America, you can't find much in the way of well-preserved TTs, so a non-turbo would be a good choice as well:
1022367749.209950833.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Apparently, you can't find much for $5,000, either.:unsure:

A 928's a good choice, too. But for $5,000, good luck. You could just get an old NA Miata, anyway. Reliable and more interesting than any Accord or Corolla. 8)

Ok, I think I need to clarify a few things about the challenge

1- This must be a car you would actually buy and drive as your only car. That means that if you buy a Nissan 300Z you will end up with two seats and no boot and no other car to fall back on to carry people or stuff. You have no wheels and only $5,000 to spend on the vehicle cost. We will ignore licensing fees and insurance for the purpose of this challenge.

2- Don't just post a photo of the car you want to buy, the purpose of the challenge is to actually find that car for your budget.

3- Auctions. Auctions are acceptable, but only if they have already ended and are within your price range. Don't post an auction of a Ferrari with only one $4,000 bid on it and three weeks remaining.

Blind_Io said:
1- This must be a car you would actually buy and drive as your only car. That means that if you buy a Nissan 300Z you will end up with two seats and no boot and no other car to fall back on to carry people or stuff.
I'm a selfish bastard, I can live with that. That's what friends are for, right? Soo...how's your FJ? :p

BlaRo said:
Blind_Io said:
1- This must be a car you would actually buy and drive as your only car. That means that if you buy a Nissan 300Z you will end up with two seats and no boot and no other car to fall back on to carry people or stuff.
I'm a selfish bastard, I can live with that. That's what friends are for, right? Soo...how's your FJ? :p

Still on the "I want" list.

Oh, and it's a 300ZX, get it right! :x

Blind_Io said:
Ok, I think I need to clarify a few things about the challenge

1- This must be a car you would actually buy and drive as your only car. That means that if you buy a Nissan 300Z you will end up with two seats and no boot and no other car to fall back on to carry people or stuff. You have no wheels and only $5,000 to spend on the vehicle cost. We will ignore licensing fees and insurance for the purpose of this challenge.

2- Don't just post a photo of the car you want to buy, the purpose of the challenge is to actually find that car for your budget.

3- Auctions. Auctions are acceptable, but only if they have already ended and are within your price range. Don't post an auction of a Ferrari with only one $4,000 bid on it and three weeks remaining.

Hence the reason I picked the Corolla. OH! How about an early 90's 190E? Those are well built!
1990-93-Mercedes-Benz-190-91603191990103.JPG

to those who choose the Old Porsche, the Triumph, that old jag and the alfa romeo,

If you really had $5000 to buy a car to commute to uni everyday, would you really be buying those?

of course , straight out!
it's TOTALLY WORTH IT!
Come on , you're only young once!! Don't wait to buy a Porsche like some guys for their middle life crisis! And don't wait when you're retired to buy a cabrio!
If you've got 5k and you can find a cool car for that price buy it !

You're young you shouldn't think about spaciousnees , MPG ,or reliability , don't worry because trust me these questions will come soon enough for example when you get married and have 2 children and the loan on the house to pay!!

differentiate yourself from others!
In my University everyone is driving 206, clios or puntos some of them are brand new so in fact these cars cost much more that 5k.
Plus If you don't live far away from the university it doesn't matter if your car is expensive to run or unreliable!

Personally if I had to choose between a brand new clio-punto and an old unreliable alfa romeo spider or a thirsty porsche 928 trust me it would only take one second to make my decision!

Just think when you're living in the morning , it's raining ,you're still lethargic because you just had 4hours sleep last night and you've got a 3hours test today, but just turn the key of you 928 and the v8 comes into life and you're smiling ! Why?
Because you know that in 8hours from now, even after failing this f** test when you'll go back to the university parking to pick up your car , you won't mistake it among the 1000 white Clios standing there!!You know exactly where your car is parked because you've got something unique and you LOVE your car it's not just some boring car to get from A to B.
You know you made the good choice when You've got your dream car and even more when it's a porsche and your 21 !
Sure it's expensive to run but boy is it fun!So use the occasion as long as it's possible !

Another example
It's Spring time you drive to the University in your Spider with the top down listening to "Journey" ( :D ) and looking at the sky , you feel free and you don't want this instant to stop in fact you would like to drive for ever unlike everyone else in their 206s listening to the trafic informations, because in opposition to you their only goal is to get to point B as fast as possible.
I HAVE to commute to uni everyday because I've got to Study but at least I want to ENJOY the 10mins between Home and work

But of course if you're not interested in cars why bother?
In fact just buy yourself a Year bus ticket , it's much cheaper in every way !

So yeah for me an old porsche doesn't matter even if I can only drive it once a week and have to use my bike the rest of the week , the same applies for the triumph and the Alfa , it can break down, rust or fall apart , It's MY DREAM car .

EDIT: for the music in the spider better listening to colin hay "beautiful world" :D :D

Re: Final Gear Challenge

Blind_Io said:
This topic came up in another forum. A kid wanted to know what he could get for $500. The answer is: nothing worth having.

uhm, i beg your pardon :p

look at the $500 white car in my sig :D

for $1500 you can pick up a supercharged MR2 MK1
for $3500 a turbo MK2
for ~$5000 a MK1 with a turbo MK2 engine (3SGTE) if you can find one, thats a 0 to 60mph time of around 4 secs (gen3 engine = 245hp in a 2500lb car)

that would be my choice for endless fun. however the car isnt very practical..

Well said, Triumph. I couldn't possibly buy something boring and reliable like a Civic or Corolla. I'm looking to have a Jaguar XJS as a daily driver as soon as I can afford one. Under $5000? Not for a while, so I may have to content myself with an XJ6 until then, they're almost down to the $5,000 mark. So what if they're not super reliable, there's not much on a car I can't fix or modify. If it breaks, take the bus. I'd rather take the loser cruiser once a month than drive a boring-ass Corolla every day.

It's all about priorities.

XJS V12, $4100 with one hour of bidding left:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-Jaguar-xjs-corvertable-A-MUST-SEE_W0QQitemZ180034779294

All the auctions I put up were "buy it now" including the TVR, and they are all within $5g's, give or take a few hundred with the exchange. I'm 23, and I don't give a shit about practicality, or seats...what kind of automotive purist buys a practical car? Stressing practicality, boot size, or the number of seats is like those viewers of Top Gear that write in, asking for them to review "normal" cars. If that's what you want, go buy a Camry and stick with watching Motoring on Speed channel.

I'd definitely want to buy something interesting like a 928 or a Triumph on any budget. It'd be a fun fixer-upper, it's totally badass, it's different than the fields of Corollas and Accords out there, and you can't mistake it for anything. How cool is it to brag 30 years from now, "yeah, my first car was a Porsche 928...good times, good times."? You know it.

I'd just make some friends who DO have Corollas and Accords. Can't imagine there are many showroom pieces for $5000. :lol:

some new ideas

like someone pointed out the 944 could be a good cheap "exotic" car
On mobile.de I found a 944 s2 targa with 245000km for 3800euros.
3b_24.JPG

Also found a 944 turbo (220bhp version) but with 308k km for 3599euros

MG cabrio , need a new paint but good looking 3500euros
ag_24.JPG

Maserati Biturbo SI 1987 3700euros 231bhp 73000km
I would be ready to buy that just for the engine 8)
67917065_1.jpg

67917065_2.jpg

67917065_4.jpg

and the best part for the end
Lancia Fulvia coup? 1975 173000km 3900euros
69727893_1.jpg

69727893_2.jpg

69727893_3.jpg

69727893_4.jpg

69727893_5.jpg

69727893_6.jpg

I'm Finished for today