FinalGear invades the UK - 2016 Roadtrip

nicjasno

BMW Perfectionist
DONOR
Car(s)
'89 BMW E30 325iT, '95 BMW E36 318ti compact
As discussed on Facebook and Whatsapp, here's the basic layout and idea of the trip.

Dave put together a spreadsheet already with some basic route ideas.

The basic idea is that we start somewhere in scottland Edinburgh/Glasow and go from there.

The cars need to be sub 500gbp vehicles with soft tops.

What we would probably also need is some kind of a support van/vehicle, preferably a sub 500gbp ford transit, that would carry all our shit.

Discuss! :)

Last edited:
When did this soft top requirement come in? Also, there's a Daihatsu Hi-Jet for ?400... :cool:

More interesting stuff with hardtops though.

Yeah, I don't believe the "challenge" will happen or "requirements" are going to be followed, or that we can find a support van and a driver for it ;)

Business as usual for me. Unless I decide to take advantage of UK car prices, but I don't think I'll limit myself to crap cars, as I'd probably want to enjoy the trip, and all...

Colour me interested.

Depends on leave situation as I need to go back to New Zealand for a visit next year.

Edit: Also won't be partaking in the purchasing of a car if I do come, I think I would like to take my own car.

Last edited:
Can the soft top requirement be bypassed by a vinyl top? They look roughly the same and there's not much metal underneath...

Surely an angle grinder is a suitable substitute for the soft top requirement..?

Any of the Finns want to go 50:50 on something..? :p

Surely an angle grinder is a suitable substitute for the soft top requirement..?

Any of the Finns want to go 50:50 on something..? :p

That really sounds like you're going to split the car in two with that angle grinder :lol:

Despite MWF telling us driving in the UK is crap, I'm interested as Scotland, the Lake District and Wales should provide plenty of good roads. With 2 out of 3, I already know that for a fact and I'd love to visit again. That would basically leave the Manchester and London areas to annoy us, driving-wise, and both are passed within a few hours or can be driven around.
I'm sceptical about the "buy a beater" idea, though - mainly because of the logistical difficulties in bringing camping gear by plane and because, honestly, I don't really like the uncertainties that lie in buying a near-scrap car on short notice, driving it four thousands of miles like we stole it (because let's be honest, that's what we'll be doing) and getting rid of it afterwards. I prefer to use a vehicle that I can trust not to break down (now I've jinxed it :D).

Despite MWF telling us driving in the UK is crap, I'm interested as Scotland, the Lake District and Wales should provide plenty of good roads. With 2 out of 3, I already know that for a fact and I'd love to visit again. That would basically leave the Manchester and London areas to annoy us, driving-wise, and both are passed within a few hours or can be driven around.
I'm sceptical about the "buy a beater" idea, though - mainly because of the logistical difficulties in bringing camping gear by plane and because, honestly, I don't really like the uncertainties that lie in buying a near-scrap car on short notice, driving it four thousands of miles like we stole it (because let's be honest, that's what we'll be doing) and getting rid of it afterwards. I prefer to use a vehicle that I can trust not to break down (now I've jinxed it :D).

Take your bike. I'm planning on getting one for the trip..

If I were not the only biker, I would indeed be inclined to do so. It would require some new things to buy, though. But the trip would also provice a reason to buy those things... ;)
(Things in question: new helmet with bluetooth/radio thingy, a new tent and other assorted camping stuff)

Last edited:
While I also agree with MWF that most of UKania is infuriating and boring I would like to see the highlands along with the lake district, doing it with FG people sounds like a good way to do it. John O'Groats seems like the obvious place to start and work down, considering the mileage done previously why not go from there to Lands End via Wales? Then hot foot it across the south for a ferry invasion. Then there's Ireland...

There are plenty of good roads in Scotland, Northumberland, Yorkshire Dales, the Pennines, the Lake District & North Wales. With careful planning you could get from Scotland to South Wales barely leaving interesting roads.

Considering the number of campervans and caravans we encountered in Norway, I think the UK will be no worse. It does give you more time to admire where you are after all. There are loads of B roads that tourists avoid that we can be getting on with. :)

This idea of a cheap car something, for those who want to, is very interesting. I might just have to give it some more thought :D.

Stop talking me into it you bastards!

Also Maytum got an MX5? :cool: