Votes: 18 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sevs753

Car(s)
'13 Subaru BRZ, '04 GMC Yukon
In addition to the FG vinyls, I think a FinalGear license plate frame would be cool. Nothing fancy, just a black frame with the final gear logo on the bottom. I don't know of how we would get them created but I'm open to suggestions.

Also, the different size license plates around the world could complicate things. Personally, I'm interested in a frame for the US/Canada size plate.

I too am interested in a frame. I'm not a fan of putting stickers on my car, but I could go for a simple frame as Sevs suggests.

I think it might be too ambitious, since there are so many styles and sizes of plates out there. It most likely wouldn't be financially viable.

I do like the lanyard idea that was discussed on IRC today though.

I'm not a fan of license plate frames, especially plastic ones. I prefer the clean look.

I think it might be too ambitious, since there are so many styles and sizes of plates out there. It most likely wouldn't be financially viable.
To cover basically all of Europe you only need 520 ? 110 mm.

If it's difficult US-based FG to offer other sizes than for the US (and perhaps Canada), I think the focus would naturally be on those frame sizes.

Also, some (less than ten) of the Europeans already have one - I had some made for Ringmeet 2011. Viper was kind enough to provide me with the graphics file.

I'm not a fan of license plate frames, especially plastic ones. I prefer the clean look.

^ This 100%. Just makes it look more messy than any sticker could. Even badly placed stickers.

But if others want to ruin their cars then do go ahead :p

Unlike stickers, plate frames actually protect your car's paintwork instead of damaging it. They are also more durable and easily removed for use on a different car when you decide to sell. Sets in standard US size and Euro size would cover most of the forum.

If the powers that be don't want to make an official version, I may be up for organizing an order for US sized plates. That's assuming I can get the logo file and permission from the powers that be.

Unlike stickers, plate frames actually protect your car's paintwork instead of damaging it. They are also more durable and easily removed for use on a different car when you decide to sell. Sets in standard US size and Euro size would cover most of the forum.

Both of my cars have spacers, on the rear plates at least. The plates don't touch the paint.

The front one on my Mustang probably gets close though, if not touching. I don't run a front plate on my Viper as there's no factory mount. I'll just eat the ticket I guess, if I ever get one.

If the powers that be don't want to make an official version, I may be up for organizing an order for US sized plates. That's assuming I can get the logo file and permission from the powers that be.

If there's enough interest, we could probably do it. It'd be nice to find a place that would do it on-demand like RedBubble (direct sales) but if we have to instead do a batch order, it sounds like you just volunteered to handle receiving and sending out the orders. :p

Unfortunately the XTerra can't have a plate frame thanks to my aftermarket bumper. I might be interested in a motorcycle one.

Why do we need to make/order frames? Can't we just make small enough stickers that can be then applied to whatever frame you buy (I bought black plastic ones off eBay for just a couple of bucks).

Well, suggestion of places to get them made would be appreciated. I'm having trouble finding ones that will put something other than just text on the frame.

I have plate frames I bought from knobmeister in 2002. They're powercoated stainless steel (not plastic, Viper!) and look as good today as they did when I bought them 12 years ago. He does custom work with no minimum quantity and can use pretty much any graphics file you can send him. I sent him the file for the distributed.net cow head and here's what he made me:

I was thinking about ordering different ones for my new vehicle and that's how I stumbled across this thread. He has a bunch of miata-themed designs for the miata.net forum guys, I bet he'd consider adding a FinalGear design to his store.

If you guys are interested, I can do lasered anodized aluminum plate frames. If it can be created in Photoshop or Illustrator, I can put it on a frame.

Edit: One of my other suppliers has the powder coated stainless frames as well. I also have done some in full color dye sublimation, but I don't recommend them for outdoor use (i.e. if it's a car that's garaged more often than not, they work well).

Last edited: