FinalGear Photo Assignment #17 - "Open Topic"

^ They do work, but I mean in the cases I tried out, the date it was giving me was the date I played with it in photoshop, not when I actually took the photo. I'm guessing this is as much as you'll get out of it. Some photos it tells me stuff like the date taken, camera etc, but others I get absolutely nothing. Are there certain processes that take it off?

I'm asking these questions, because I want to implement it into another forums' photography competition, of which I have less trust in the people; not because I want to cheat here.

Is there a special program that can delve deeper than windows?
There are a lot of special programs that can delve deeper than Windows ;)

Actually, I just strip EXIF from the photo before I submit it to save BCS some time and I work on the honour system as to when the photo was taken ;)

Speedtouch I think the main issue that you are having is that if people are using PhotoShop the option to save for the web by default with strip out the metadata. It doesn't always mean people have gone through the process of stripping everything away. The IExif program is pretty crazy actually, amongst other things if you take a test shot in JPEG it will give you the number of actuations your Nikon camera body has done (and a crapload of other information too). I personally like to keep the exif information in my photographs when I upload so that if people wonder what I did, or what I did wrong they can check for themselves.

It does that for raw too. The metadata is all there, if you save it as jpeg in photoshop, it'll all still be there. Hey presto.

Thanks for your help, and I've found the problem I was having with my tests. That is, if any cropping is done, the EXIF is lost. Which you can't get round which is a shame.

Its all well and good relying on the honour system here (because there actually is one), but when there isn't then it becomes impossible.

@Ice: Photoshop. When cropping I will select bits around the subject, deleting as I go. Once I've got what I wanted I will select all and copy it over to a new image.

Edit: Having looked for a whole 5 seconds, I've only just noticed the Image>Crop and Trim functions. I see what I've been doing wrong now.

Just got mine in :D.

Mine's in too. :)

I don't usually use the crop function and just select and paste into a new file because I find that the easiest way to preserve original dimensions. ie each image from my camera is scaled down to 25% in PS when opened (otherwise it wouldn't fit on the screen). Whenever I crop, I want to preserve the height-to-width ratio so I just re-scale (to, say, 30%), then select everything I see in the original (25%-scaled) window, and copy+paste.

Just drag the crop tool from corner to corner, then hold shift while resizing it, that will keep the proportions. You also want to keep the image as large as possible if you want to print it out or offer it as a wallpaper and then just resize with bicubic sharper to say 1024 along the longer side and offer that on web as a separate file.

When does the voting begin?

Heh, your guess is as good as ours. BCS's timing with these things is less than great. Expect it within the next week.