Flying speakers for home theater

93Flareside

Sosig
DONOR
Car(s)
See Signature
5831a214444f7f7ada247f4c91fa755d.png

In my house, I have a room that is basically my "theater." It's nowhere near as cool as it sounds. I do a lot of front of house mixing on the weekends and I see a lot of flown speakers in buildings where the system is permanently installed. It's great because you don't have to lose floor space or sacrifice speaker placement for what's aesthetically pleasing. Also, the speakers aren't blocked by people and likewise aren't blown away from high volume next to their ears. What I'm wondering is if there are speakers in the home audio realm that are designed to be hung and aimed like a concert speaker. It's hard to google such a term so I'm coming to you guys. I've tried audio-centric forums before and they're not that helpful because it's a bunch of old farts with old gear. Not that that's a bad thing, just doesn't work for my needs.

I also could just screw in eye hooks to bookshelf sized speakers and be done with it but it feels sacrilegious to drill into new stuff and not really designed to be hung like that.

Last edited:
On the top of my head, I can't think of any, but I'm not really up to date on home audio. For a good recommendation, knowing your room size and budget would probably be helpful. Maybe a smaller PA Speaker would work just fine. Actually, a quick search lead me to this, a ceiling or wall mount for the Dynaudio BM and Air series. Might that be an option?

Genelec also has floor, wall and ceiling mounts for their speakers.
Sorry for not being able to answer the original question though. Interesting topic this.

I also could just screw in eye hooks to bookshelf sized speakers and be done with it but it feels sacrilegious to drill into new stuff and not really designed to be hung like that.

what do you think they did with the pic you posted?

Well, the modern ones have the mounting holes supplied to begin with, but early installations of such speakers certainly would have come about by simply drilling into the case.

I started looking at readily available bookshelf speakers to see if any came with threaded holes for hanging but then I came up with a better idea. Go for the industrial look by getting two big C-clamps for each speaker and clamping them, then drilling the clamps and hanging them. Probably cut down the threaded rod and weld a nut on it or something so you can tighten it with a socket and so it isn't hanging down for someone to hit their head on. Would look different that's for sure, if that's good or not is up to you.

My speakers are about a foot tall, not sure if you can buy clamps that size though. :think:

Clamps could loosen with vibration. I've seen some hung by straps. Most speakers designed to be "flown" have reinforced mount points, like that Mackie PA speaker. Most wood-shelled bookshelf speakers should be able to support themselves by their cabinets with eye hooks, as long as they aren't Ikea-grade particleboard. You could use eye bolts instead of eye screws if you could access the inside to thread a nut.