FlyinHawaiian's Car-Review Thread

flyinhawaiian

Car(s)
Mazdaspeed Protege
I am a pretty lucky guy. I've been able to drive some phenomenal cars this far in my life. Many of which have been through test drives and good fortune (aka rich friends) Included is the Mercedes E55 AMG, Dodge Viper GTS ACR (old one), Aston Martin V8 Vantage, and even a Maserati Grandsport Coupe. Lately, somepretty impressive cars have been added to the list. The purpose of this thread is for me to share my experiences with you and give a review of the car from the perspective of a peer, rather than a journalist. If possible, I'll include pictures or video with it.

Last edited:
2009 Nissan GT-R

2009 Nissan GT-R

I feel kind of bad starting off with this one since its probably the most amazing car I'll drive in a long time. It may have been over 2 months since I drove it, but it left quite an impression on me. My dad had been setting this test drive up for a while, since they don't just throw you the keys to a Nissan GT-R. He'd go in, talk to a salesman and keep in touch. A week prior, he brought my mom in (who conveniently said she "preferred the Aston Martin" lol). So on D-Day, we rolled up in my Dad's 2008 C6 Corvette and talked with the salesman. After looking in every nook and cranny, they agreed to give my Dad the keys and let us take a test drive, sans salesman. I think the reason they agreed to this was the car had been a demo-model and had nearly 2,000 miles on the clock already.

So back to the car. First impression inside, was a little disappointing. For $86,000 I would have expected the interior to be a bit nicer. To be honest, it felt like a slightly more plush 350Z. The seats were nice, but slightly hard and I expected a bit more bolsters on the side. I guess they figured the target market here in the US were going to be fat, middle-aged bald guys, so deep bolsters would get in the way...

Pulling out of the dealership, the car was surprisingly tame. Suspension soaked up bumps, though was slightly stiffer than the Corvette, or even my Mazdaspeed Protege. First problem we had with it was as we pulled up to a stoplight, smoke started coming out of the bonnet holes and from under the car (wtf?). At first we thought it was steam, then we could smell it. I used the SatNav screen to check all the engine vitals and gauges to see if there was anything wrong, but nothing was reading abnormally. We called the dealership and they said it was just the stuff they used to make it all shiny burning off the manifold and whatnot. riiiiigggghhhttt. Second thing we noticed was a clunking sound coming from the rear of the car. No idea what that was, but it happened either when we came to a stop or started off again. No matter, we were still gonna have some fun.

As soon as we hit some open road, my dad floored it. What can you say about the power except 'wow'! It wasn't as ferocious as the Vette we took to the dealership, but it just seemed endless. As opposed to exploding off the line as the Vette would, it more 'whooshed.' We eventually switched spots and I got my turn in the car as well. It was my first time driving a dual-clutch transmission, and I have to say it was absolutely amazing. The upshifts were lightning quick and with the enormous wave of power churning all 4 wheels, it seemed endless. Thanks to Jeremy, I also knew the 'secret' launch control setting and lined up for a 0-60+ ;) run. TC off, Transmission in R-mode, suspension in R-mode, foot on the brake and floor it. It seemed as soon as my foot released the brake I was already at the top of 1st gear, BAM second, 60 mph came and went well under 4 seconds. I'll let you watch the video below to really see what it was like.

Steering was direct, but didn't have as much feedback as I like. I've always noticed in AWD cars that the steering is a bit vague and the GT-R was no exception. I guess when the front wheels have any sort of drive input going to them, its just another link in-between you and the road. Somehow my Mazdaspeed gets around it, but that's a different review. The car easily darted around turns and the grip was endless. Only once, turning from a stop sign did I get the tail to step out, but it really took some work and the TC off.

As one would expect, the brakes were vicious. The pedal feel was consistent, yet firm and it had no trouble trying to plant our faces against the windscreen. Everything about how the car drove was simply amazing. I had never driven a car like that, nor do I think I'll be able to top it any time soon. In person, its a large car to look at, but it didn't feel that way inside. You knew it was wide, but it never felt like it was spilling over into another lane. That said, for just shy of $90,000, it really is a steal. For the same money you can buy a plethora of nice sports cars, but none will even come close to the performance of the GT-R on the track. On the street, though, its a different story. Its not as good looking as a Corvette or an Aston Martin (which goes without saying) and either way, its still a Nissan. Even after our 30 min test drive, I felt worn out and the seats weren't the most comfortable things in the world. Either way, it was a DAMN cool car and I feel privileged to have driven it.

Video I made of the test drive:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzezhn00L0o[/YOUTUBE]​

2010 Porsche Panamera

2010 Porsche Panamera

A few days after we drove the GT-R, we were thrown the keys to a 2010 Porsche Panamera (non-turbo). I didn't get to drive this one, nor would I have wanted to in the traffic we were stuck in, but from the right seat it was very nice. Our friend is the sales manager at one of the largest Audi dealerships in the area and literally tossed us the keys and said "go have fun, don't break it."

The car rode nice, as you would expect from a Porsche, and the interior was one of the nicest I have ever been in. Especially cool was the SatNav IN the second gauge hole from the right. Made it easy to glance at it and then get your eyes back on the road quickly. Freakin fast too (though after the GT-R nothing really is THAT fast...)! Unfortunately, it looks like ass and therefore you'd be an idiot to get one...

Last edited:
2010 Lotus Evora

2010 Lotus Evora

PICS COMING SOON!!!

Now yesterday is a different story. My dad received an email inviting him to go test-drive the brand new Lotus Evora. The Evora, for those of you living under a rock, is like a bigger, softer Elise, designed for grand touring, with a stop at the track in the middle.

The car itself is absolutely beautiful. The lines are smooth and flowing, and from behind, the haunches of the car look absolutely stunning. Inside, its more of the same. The Evora gives you carpets, leather, a nice audio system, and you don't even have to REQUEST power windows! The seats are deep buckets that swallow you up and offer one of best seating positions I've every felt. Power comes from the 3.5L Toyota V6 also found in the Camry, and drives the rear wheels with 276hp.

Getting in and out was MUCH easier than the Elise, and for my 5' 11" frame, it was no big deal in either. For taller people, it might become an issue, but my Dad, who is 6' 2" and as flexible as a freight train, had no issues. The stupidest part of the car, though, was the so-called 'back-seat.' I know of no person who could actually fit back there with any semblance of comfort. I climbed in to prove the point and couldn't even sit up straight. I literally had to look straight down at the floor, and with the front seat upright, it needed to be at its furthest-forward stop since I have legs. Lotus is apparently offering customers a '2+0' option which not only saves you $550, but replaces the seats with a true packing shelf...

Driving the Evora was a pleasant experience. The suspension is supple and soaks up bumps easily, but has the oomph to handle like a Lotus should. Gear changes are smooth and mechanical, and the clutch's engagement zone is a little tough to 'feel,' but is easy to get used to. Only complaints there are the dead-pedal next to the clutch is only about 2 inches wide and its difficult to NOT accidentally rest your foot on the clutch or catch your foot as you release the pedal. Further, though the actual gear changes were smooth, the throw was pretty long, the shift handle rattled a bit, and the knob was a little light for my taste. Visibility was adequate out of it. The wing mirrors are a little oversized with convex glass on it to eliminate the inevitable blind spots, but the rearview mirror is what Top Gear would call 'ambitious, but rubbish.' The view is pretty much a slight window of light, dominated by the Lotus tuned engine. I doubt you'd even be able to see the lights of the cop behind you...

Steering was out of this world though. Every time I drive a Lotus (I've driven a 60s Elan S2 and an Elise) I'm reminded how a car is supposed to drive. The Evora is light on its feet (doesn't feel like it weighs 3,000 lbs) and changes direction incredibly easily. The steering is direct and full of feedback - I asked the salesman, but he was unsure if it was even power assisted. The standard Lotus steering wheel, which is significantly smaller than the MSP's, falls naturally into hand. Not sure how to describe it, but it just feels right.

Acceleration was good, but not explosive. I guess I was expecting it to be a little faster, but my view of 'fast' has been tainted by cars such as the GT-R or my Dad's Corvette. The salesman who was with me for the drive allowed me to nail the gas a few times in all gears and I will say it was impressive how it took off and kept going. Sufficient torque seems to be available in all gears and at all points along the power curve.

My biggest complaint would probably be the brakes. The pedal was too firm and had a digital on/off feel to it almost. Very little travel and it was difficult to modulate. I think with practice it would get easier, but you tap it too hard and you're in the backseat of the car in front of you. Further, the pedal was mounted WAY too high, compared with the gas pedal, to do proper heel-toe braking, which I love to do, even on the street. I'd imagine you'd even have trouble doing it in race conditions as well...

Overall I really enjoyed the car. Considering there are only 2 of them in the United States right now, I feel pretty lucky to have driven it. That said, at $84,000 I don't think (if I had the money) I would buy it. Considering the GT-R I drove two months ago was only $2,000 more, and a 1-year old Aston Martin V8 Vantage is about the same, I think its way over-priced. In a year or two, after the depreciation has set in, it might be a little more reasonable.

Last edited:
nice reviews m8! i've enjoyed reading'em.. :cool:

Updated with pictures

First problem we had with it was as we pulled up to a stoplight, smoke started coming out of the bonnet holes and from under the car (wtf?)...We called the dealership and they said it was just the stuff they used to make it all shiny burning off the manifold and whatnot. riiiiigggghhhttt.

That's normal.

Second thing we noticed was a clunking sound coming from the rear of the car. No idea what that was, but it happened either when we came to a stop or started off again. No matter, we were still gonna have some fun.

That's the transmission. It's been mentioned a number of times in reviews.

Sounds like fun, thanks for posting.

I am a pretty lucky guy. My dad and I like to play a game, which we call "Gig the Salesman. It takes a couple weeks to set up, but essentially the concept is we pose as a potential buyer of expensive sports cars to score a test drive. Our list includes a Mercedes E55 AMG, Mitsubishi EVO VIII, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, and a Maserati Grandsport Coupe. We've been stepping up our game lately, though and have added some pretty impressive cars to the list. The purpose of this thread is for me to share my experiences with you and give a review of the car from the perspective of a peer, rather than a journalist. If possible, I'll include pictures or video with it.

That is not cool.

Salespeople work on commission. If they are helping you thinking you are looking to buy a car they are missing out on real potential customers. If you are actually looking to buy something and don't buy from that salesman then no big deal. If you aren't looking to buy anything and are just lying to the salesperson then you are essentially stealing from him.

In the time he is wasting with you he could be helping someone else who can actually afford to buy the cars he or she is selling. Every time you do that you are taking money right out of the salesperson's pocket. If I am spending time with some tire kicker jack offs and my own alarm system doesn't go off that they are tire kicker jack offs and I miss a real customer that could be 200, 300, 400 and depending on the car and the what bonus level I am at as much as 1,000 dollars that I am missing out on.

How would you feel if someone came to where you work and took 500 bucks from you?

Even if you aren't spending a lot of time in the dealership you are still wasting their time on the phone or over email.

In the time he is wasting with you he could be helping someone else who can actually afford to buy the cars he or she is selling. Every time you do that you are taking money right out of the salesperson's pocket.

That's the dealer's decision, they don't have to give these guys the keys to anything.