FoMoCo cost saving FAIL!

This should really be "FoMoCo Cost saving WIN"
Ok, for all of you who claim this actually costs more, let me explain.

The cost per unit goes down the more that are produced. By dipping into an existing supply of parts (in this case from Volvo) and just putting a new leather cover on it the only thing you really pay for is the leather. It would cost more to make the exact same part without the logo on it because you would have to place a new order for just a few units.

I really don't see the problem with this. We know Aston Martin is owned by Ford and uses parts and research from their various divisions. Who cares if it say Volvo under the leather? If it said Aston Martin it would still come out of the same factory in Taiwan or China. They covered it in leather with the appropriate logo and if it weren't for some asshat being careless with someone else's luxury car no one would be the wiser.

It was exactly this sort of part sharing that has been around for decades. The same knob that was found to work in a Corolla was also put in a Camry, Avalon, Tacoma, Land Cruiser and every other car. It increases reliability, reduces costs, and is better for the consumer and the company.

This false outrage is just a matter of snobs being snobs because they can. They might as well come out and say, "I'm outraged that you think of me as low enough to push a button that can also be found on a Volvo - that is a car for peasants! I demand my button represent my importance and status and be hand crafted by Ralph Laruen!"

Screw you, snobs, if you don't like your Aston with a Volvo key then hand it over - because I'll have it.

Last edited:
+1 to you dear Sir!

Blind_Io...

That was fucking beautiful...

I don't understand you people...

If this was never uncovered would you still be outraged? Who fucking cares.

Makes me wish Lamborghini keys were Gold plated phillips head screw drivers... (Hmm...)

This false outrage is just a matter of snobs being snobs because they can. They might as well come out and say, "I'm outraged that you think of me as low enough to push a button that can also be found on a Volvo - that is a car for peasants! I demand my button represent my importance and status and be hand crafted by Ralph Laruen!"

But thats why you have an Aston Martin in the first place isn't it? It's so you can say things like that.

I know it's been already mentioned but the whole Aston lineup for 2009 interiors have been upgraded to ECU/pushbutton ignition and DBS style center console and NO Ford partsbin switchgear, and they kept the price the same or similar i believe (any increase in cost is due to the uprated hp figures in both the V8 and DB9 models)

I have no problem with AM having the same key fob as Volvo... I mean how luxurious can a key fob get? It just shows bad class to leave to logo on. Those Corolla knobs in the Camry don't say "Corolla" on them in big letters.

What if it said "Corolla" on the back of the knob? The same way the fob says "Volvo" inside the key fob.

This should really be "FoMoCo Cost saving WIN"
Ok, for all of you who claim this actually costs more, let me explain.

The cost per unit goes down the more that are produced. By dipping into an existing supply of parts (in this case from Volvo) and just putting a new leather cover on it the only thing you really pay for is the leather. It would cost more to make the exact same part without the logo on it because you would have to place a new order for just a few units.

I really don't see the problem with this. We know Aston Martin is owned by Ford and uses parts and research from their various divisions. Who cares if it say Volvo under the leather? If it said Aston Martin it would still come out of the same factory in Taiwan or China. They covered it in leather with the appropriate logo and if it weren't for some asshat being careless with someone else's luxury car no one would be the wiser.

It was exactly this sort of part sharing that has been around for decades. The same knob that was found to work in a Corolla was also put in a Camry, Avalon, Tacoma, Land Cruiser and every other car. It increases reliability, reduces costs, and is better for the consumer and the company.

Screw you, snobs, if you don't like your Aston with a Volvo key then hand it over - because I'll have it.
But the car is built specifically for snobs... so your argument is kind of pointless. And snobs don't want to be driving around in a car made from Volvo parts. I can understand the concern there.

Funny, I thought the car was built for people who love cars. Silly me.

Funny, I thought the car was built for people who love cars. Silly me.

Not really, based on some of the guys I've seen at the Aston dealership. Most seem like middle aged men that want to relive James Bond fantasies.

:lol:, but so what, I mean it's not like anybody would bother to look at your keys.

No, it's Ford trying to cut costs.

Ford tried to get rid of the traditional Jaguar hexagonal key and replace them with the Volvo/Mondeo/Corporate keys, but dealers and owners would have none of that.

If anything, Aston probably would have used the Jaguar one, if Ford had given them the choice. But the Jaguar hex keys and locks are rather expensive to make, so I suspect Ford wanted to limit the use of those.

Picture?

Now every Aston owner is furiously scrambling to peel off the leather coating of their car keys, looking for that magic hidden VOLVO insignia. Can you start a Volvo with it?

Maybe Aston should just make their keys out of Tootsie Roll pops, so there's a little incentive to get to the center.

I'd have my aston use a kitchen spatula....
Seriously, sure it's a little annoying to the snobs but overall who cares?

Yeah I'm sure AM owners and AM dealerships care about saving money.
It's funny how many businesses care about saving money :p.

Add me to the list of those who don't care. It's funny that they didn't just order completely blank keys in the first place, but whatever. Whoever said they probably cost 3x as much as Volvo keys, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Silly indeed, it was built for people willing to pay money for it so the company profits and the shareholders stay happy. Cynical, but true.

... and dipping into the parts bin is the best way to do that.

Its like a microcosm of Aston Martin in general. Decent looking cars, but overpriced junk in reality.