Food! [The thread that started this section]

For anyone who's travelled overseas and tasted it, what's Mexican food like in places without large Mexican populations? Is it overly localized like Italian is out here or is it still a very true TexMex/Mexican sort of thing?

Some might disagree, but I haven't found good Texmex outside of North America. Even up here in Canada you can't find the best, and the good places here are nowhere near as good as what I've had in Texas.

Well, the Italian/Mexican place I go to (I know, strange combo) doesn't really offer the proper rural Italian quisine, since they don't make their own pasta and sauces every night for the following day and I don't think any place outside rural Italy does. I'd say it's the same for mexican, but if you're referring to some of the bigger restaurants that can't afford to, I'd say that around here it's pretty much the same, at least I didn't see a difference between the pasta I had in Rome and locally. The Mexican on the other hand is very different, but I haven't had any straight from Mehiko to tell the difference.

...but I haven't had any straight from Mehiko to tell the difference.

That's okay, because most food we call 'Mexican' is actually TexMex, and the creations of Americans living close to the US-Mexican border. :p

That's okay, because most food we call 'Mexican' is actually TexMex, and the creations of Americans living close to the US-Mexican border. :p

either you live in a place that has a serious drought of authentic Mexican restaurants or central ma is a secret hotbed of Mexican food because i can think of at least 3 very authentic mexican places near me and maybe 5 more that are while not super pure authentic are still not fucking around with much in the way of tex-mex*.

*provided you consider tacos al pastor traditional Mexican. If however you are in the school of thought where tacos were created in California and then migrated to Mexico only to come back to the southwest maybe 40 years later then the resturants aren't quite as authentic

Last edited:
There are a few hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurants by me, absolutely fantastic. Just don't ask what how the meat is made. Actually you couldn't because all they understand is burrito and Coke, thank God for illegal immigrants.

Got to test a new cooking toy on the grill tonight. Got a cool grill wire basket at William-Sonoma yesterday and put some yukon gold potatoes, onion, zucchini, and yellow squash sprinkled in some herbs and spices and threw it on the grill with some steaks. Tomorrow Bison burgers! I love summer!

P1000399.jpg

no cream in Carbonara man... it's all cheese and and egg that slow cooks when you mix it in with the fresh hot pasta...

I know there's no cream. It's ONLY EGG YOLKS, nothing else. I'm a carbonara fetishist, any time it's not made correctly, I want to strangle the person that did it. <_<

Unless you've done it a million times before, then I can report that it's very tricky to make a carbonara with just eggs and cheese. The first times either the eggs set and go into scramble or you're having a raw egg and cheese pasta.

Well aware of that, tried making it a few times, got it about right the last time. I'll get it right some day.

First of all....I like peas. Second of all, I didn't use cream. I just used 1 whole egg plus 2 yolks mixed with pecorino cheese plus some of the reserved water that I used to boil the pasta in. Lastly, it stopped being authentic the moment I didn't use guanciale, so I doubt peas would do anything to ruin it.

Last edited:
Well aware of that, tried making it a few times, got it about right the last time. I'll get it right some day.

Temper the reserved pasta water into your egg mixture. That will stop it from scrambling when it hits the hot pasta.

Cooked tonight for my best friend, his girlfriend, and a friend of her's tonight. Made the shrimp I talked about earlier with the (sauteed onion, garlic, pepper, oregano, basil) baste. Also marinated some Ahi Tuna is soy sauce, mustard, brown sugar, and oil. Threw the Ahi and Shrimp on the grill steamed some broccoli made up a salad and we were good to go. As a bonus I have left over shrimp for a nice salad tomorrow! Also girls really love it when you cook for them:wicked:. Oh yeah the shrimp are like half done in the picture, I don't eat raw shrimp.

P1000453.jpg

P1000454.jpg

Last edited:
You are a liar, I know for a fact that girls only eat meat that is breaded and deep fried if and only if said meat used to be a boob. The fish and shrimp is not breaded and not deep fried, AND Fish and shrimp do not have boobies. Therefore you are a dirty liar.