Food! [The thread that started this section]

I'm afraid you cannot beat that Spanish ham from the iberico pig, which experts consider the best in the world ;)

I tasted a lot of ham in my life but that one was absolutely awesome. By comparison, an Italian prosciutto di Parma is almost without flavour.

It has its price, though: 20 euros for 70 grams...

Don't get me started on prosciutto di Parma. Italians don't have the wind to cure it properly. :p

I'm afraid you cannot beat that Spanish ham from the iberico pig, which experts consider the best in the world ;)

I tasted a lot of ham in my life but that one was absolutely awesome. By comparison, an Italian prosciutto di Parma is almost without flavour.

It has its price, though: 20 euros for 70 grams...

try iberico pork chops!!
imo, that's the best part, and can't be compared to any other pork chop...

Don't get me started on prosciutto di Parma. Italians don't have the wind to cure it properly. :p

Of course you are free to bring some to the next meet :) I'm always open for new flavour experiences :) For instance I adopted Adu's 3-year-old Gouda and have been using it as a snack ever since he brought it to the Ringmeet. And this year I was introduced to Mount Gay rum and have ordered a bottle now :)

And I know there is a lot of amazong stuff out there you normally won't get in a supermarket or in a butchery. One of my cousins for instance has contact to hunters and she once brought me a 1-kg-piece of ham from a wild boar. It was sublime, very lean without any fat but still full of flavour. I put it next to my PC with a knife and used to snack it away over a period of a week.

This Joselito jamon from Spain is something completely different, though. First you have to know that I have a fat phobia. I will cut the fat off any piece of meat on my plate, because I cannot stand having it in my mouth. With most hams, the fat tastes rather rancid to be honest, that's why I always cut it away.

Not with this one, though. Not only did the fat have not any taste of its own, it literally melted in my mouth. It liquified and kept on working as a flavor enhancer. The taste simply wouldn't get weaker, even after chewing on the same slice of ham for 2 or 3 minutes. And the flavour was sublime, too: Very aromatic but not salty, just right, very strong and with a clear nutty note. It's hard to explain it but try imagine one of those long-lasting chewing gums but with ham flavour (not the consistency of course). It actually took me a bit of willpower to finally swallow it.

Very good - but something I wouldn't or couldn't afford every day.

I'll get my mum's cousin to set a side a shank from his personal collection. ;)

This is what happens when I order a Cevapcici to go in my favorite Balkan restaurant and casually mention that I'm kinda hungry:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441870340.220339.jpg

Normally it's half the amount of fries and only 6 rolls of meat, not 14.

Balkan humor, I guess :lol:

Oh, and for the record: The price was still the regular 10 Euros but I gave an additional tip, so 12 Euros.

This is what happens when I order a Cevapcici to go in my favorite Balkan restaurant and casually mention that I'm kinda hungry:

View attachment 16559

Normally it's half the amount of fries and only 6 rolls of meat, not 14.

Balkan humor, I guess :lol:

Oh, and for the record: The price was still the regular 10 Euros but I gave an additional tip, so 12 Euros.
:drool:
Also, that's ridiculously cheap for all that food.

I go to many different carveries, they all gate the Yorkshire puddings off. :/

I've been cooking a lot more since I moved back to Dallas, and this is one of the best things I've made.

From last night. Grilled chicken tacos with applewood smoked bacon, guacamole and cheese.

i-Rns6VhT-M.jpg

I had made the tacos several times before with various combos of salsa and guac, but the bacon really took it to the next level.

I did an incredibly good pasta sauce with zucchini and mushrooms. I started by slicing the zucchini and salting it, so the slices wept a little while before I fried them. Next up, red onions that got the same treatment, along with sliced champignon mushrooms, sundried tomatoes and jalapeno slices. I fried everything separately, then browned some minced beef into which I had mixed some very spicy mustard and some knock-off sriracha sauce. A can of tomato paste and some garlic into the empty, hot pan, then everything together and a bottle of beer into the pan for company. Seasoned it with oregano, black pepper and dried chili, let it all simmer for a few hours with some feta cheese thrown in halfway through, went to the gym and boiled some spaghetti. This is all so very good on an empty stomach.

Last edited:
Zucchini and mushrooms are awesome.

I did now pick up some more white bread and grated parmigiano, so tomorrow's lunch is going to be OARSUM

I just came from Boston, where people called it (spelled phonetically) "moo-shee" pork, and "General Gow's" chicken (as opposed to the "moo-shoo" pork and "General Tso's" or "General Cho's" chicken).

Is this an east coast/west coast thing, or just a Boston thing?

Sounds like how I pronounce them, more or less, and I'm not from Boston.

I thought this was cool and I found it on Facebook. Todd Wilbur is a author who has tried to reconstruct restaurant recipes so you can make them at home. He also has had a awesome TV show on CMT called "Top Secret Recipe" where he'd work undercover in a chain to gain as much info as possible then attempt to replicate a dish, only to end up having to test it along side the real thing with random people.

Anyway.....he's giving away 2 of his books: https://topsecretrecipes.leadpages.co/2-free-tsr-ebooks-211fb/

All it asks for is a email address and a name, i'm sure one could use a fake name and spam address for this

I thought this was cool and I found it on Facebook. Todd Wilbur is a author who has tried to reconstruct restaurant recipes so you can make them at home. He also has had a awesome TV show on CMT called "Top Secret Recipe" where he'd work undercover in a chain to gain as much info as possible then attempt to replicate a dish, only to end up having to test it along side the real thing with random people.

Anyway.....he's giving away 2 of his books: https://topsecretrecipes.leadpages.co/2-free-tsr-ebooks-211fb/

All it asks for is a email address and a name, i'm sure one could use a fake name and spam address for this

Thanks!