Food! [The thread that started this section]

I had haggis spring rools. Pretty tasty, actually.

I recently found out Tempura Bacon is a thing. I have a feeling it's really thick pork belly, which I'm not a huge fan of....but willing to give it a shot.

Last edited:
I usually despise taking photos of food, but the Pizza I had today looked so delicious I had to take a picture...

No, the Pizza wasn't really really small, the Salami/Peperoni slices were just really really big (compare the size of the 0.3l glass in the top right corner, the Pizza had a diameter of about 25 cm/10 inches)...

How is Joppiesaus viewed by Europeans (or probably just the Dutch, since i didn't see it anywhere else)?

Is it considered, like, a legitimate sauce, or is it viewed as sort of trashy like maybe cheap ranch dressing or Velveeta nacho cheese?sauce?

I have to admit...I only had it once in Amsterdam at a touristy chip shop, but it's been on my mind ever since. :lol:

Last edited:
I much prefer Samurai myself, but have had joppie on occasion as well. It most definitely is just for fries, though, I'd never try and do anything with the stuff apart from that.

The students coming to Aachen from the rest of Germany oftentimes are not familiar with the abundance of sauces the Dutch have available for fries and, being about 5 minutes from the border, we have a few shops that sell said abundance. For those people, joppie oftentimes is the first sauce they try, because it's very easy to like, and thus it quickly builds the reputation adu mentioned: overrated crap :p Tons of people will tell you it's the best thing there is, all because they never bothered to try anything more adventurous available on the menu (I will admit, samurai is also a rather basic entry sauce in this regard).

Costco's rosemary parmesan bread is awesome, that is all.

Completely unrelated observations:

1. I love Belgium; or at least, being there. The unfortunate truth, though, is that it's been a good while since I've visited. :(
My warm-fuzzy memories make it a place with Dutch hospitality and French food. :p

2. I do like trying different foods, though. Yesterday evening, my buddy John and I yielded to the convergence of four forces...
a. There was an interesting cruise-in in Wheelersburg, Ohio - about 20 miles west of where we live
b. I was nearly out of ethanol-free gasoline for my lawn equipment and we would pass the nearest station with said fuel on our way to the cruise-in
c. My wife had things she wanted to do at home and John's wife was visiting their daughter in Lexington, KY
d. We hadn't eaten at Fred's Restaurant for months and were due for a return visit! (Fred's is only about half-a-mile from the cruise-in location - which is at a McDonald's :rolleyes:)
When we finally arrived at Fred's, we found something new on the menu: a deep-dish personal-size BLT pizza! I love bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches so I had to try it. Imagine crumbling bacon onto a cheese pizza before baking; then topping it with mayo, shredded lettuce and diced tomato before serving. It's not something I'd order every time, but it was certainly a different, fun choice! We had a huge plate of onion rings as an appetizer and continued to eat them with our meal o_O .

SL

Last edited:
Back again.
What you see below took up a big portion of my day today...
One of the organizations I belong to is having a dinner tomorrow. They're providing meat, bread, etc. but every single/couple attending was asked to bring a side-dish and a dessert.
Not wanting to follow the crowd and do something easy, my wife and I decided to make two of my favorites: veggie bars (AKA: veggie pizza) and frosted peanut butter kiss cookies.
Believe it or not, I did most of the work. I really like cooking, but I'm not that great at it. My wife, however, is an excellent cook; so she 'watched over my shoulder', gave advice and helped when I needed her.
Sooo... here's a photo of what we're taking:

Edit: Before anyone decides to take an easy shot, these are just examples. We're taking about 3 dozen of each.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/PsIZgVi.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
Oh sweet, that looks fantastic. I love the colors on the veggie pizza. Yum!

I guess that I've found a new favorite sub-forum!

I usually lead off comments like this by admitting up front that I’m an old guy (68), so there are lots of ‘new’ things that have passed me by. One of them is (was) a website called the CheatSheet. It’s recommended by OutBrain, and I usually stay away from those like the plague. (I absolutely refuse to click on an OutBrain direct link because I don’t want to give them ANY positive feedback!) What attracted me? They promised a review of the ’10 most hated restaurant and fast food chains in America’. Big deal, I know, but their lead photo showed a Red Robin restaurant.

So, I searched out CheatSheet and found the pile of generally-lame click-bait that I expected. I had to do a search to find the ‘poll results’ that I wanted. Sure enough, Red Robin was their #1 target. It was bashed for their locations being too noisy and sometimes dirty. I know that the ‘lists’ created by sites like this are about as reliable Lucas electrics; but, come on – Red Robin?

Although we don’t have a Red Robin nearby, I’ve eaten at quite a few when I was on the road and have had nothing but positive experiences. Is it gourmet food? Not by a long shot, but – if I want to grab a burger and a beer when I’m traveling, I’m always happy to drop in to one of their locations. I’ve found the food to be of acceptable quality, a ‘decent’ selection of beers for a fast-food location, reasonable prices and a family-friendly atmosphere. The last item doesn’t really matter to me, but I know that it does to many people.

So, am I off-base here? Are some Red Robin locations really that bad??

SL

Last edited:
OK, I'm tired of waiting for the site to 'find' my lost post, so... since I often write my posts in Word so that I can 'fiddle' with them off-line, I'll re-post my lost comments:

I usually lead off notes like this by admitting up front that I’m an old guy (68), so there are lots of ‘new’ things that have passed me by. One of them is (was) a website called the CheatSheet. It’s recommended by OutBrain, and I usually stay away from those like the plague. (I absolutely refuse to click on an OutBrain direct link because I don’t want to give them ANY feedback!) What attracted me to this one? They promised a review of the ’10 most hated restaurant and fast food chains in America’. Big deal, I know, but their lead photo showed a Red Robin restaurant.

So, I searched out CheatSheet and found the pile of generally-lame click-bait that I expected. I had to do a search to find the ‘poll results’ that I wanted. Sure enough, Red Robin was their #1 target. It was bashed for their locations being too noisy and sometimes dirty. Now, I know that the ‘lists’ created by sites like this are about as reliable Lucas electrics; but, come on – Red Robin?

Although we don’t have a Red Robin nearby, I’ve eaten at quite a few when I was on the road and have had nothing but positive experiences. Is it gourmet food? Not by a long shot, but – if I want to grab a burger and a beer when I’m traveling, I’m always happy to drop in to one of their locations. I’ve found the food to be of acceptable quality, a decent selection of beers for a fast-food location, reasonable prices and a family-friendly atmosphere. The last item doesn’t really matter to me, but I know that it does to many people.

So, am I off-base here? Are some Red Robin locations really that bad??

SL

And don't forget the unlimited fries, or the other no-up-charge sides with any burger.

Last edited:
I never thought Top Gear would inform me about the culinary world untill I got a Peugeot pepper grinder for Christmas. My mum asked me if it was any good. I replied "I've heard they're really great".

nNMMk0s.jpg

I've had 2 Le Creuset pepper grinders fail on me within a couple of months. This one feels rock solid so far.

After some practice, I finally got some basic Ethiopian dishes down!

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/UaGI59l.jpg"}[/IMG2]

We have an amazing local restaurant for inspiration. This is the type of place where the grandma in the kitchen refuses to let you make a large takeout order without bringing your own plastic containers. True story - she refuses to have her fresh made dishes go directly into flimsy styrofoam containers.

Anyways, this week, I used the rest of my homemade berbere paste (a chili concoction with a shite ton of paprika and onions) and made Doro Wot (spicy chicken stew with cinnamon).

The accompanying side dishes are fasolia (green beans and carrots slow cooked in a tomato sauce), tikil gomen (cabbage and carrots cooked with turmeric), and gomen wat (usually, spicy collard greens but I used kale this week).

Everything is served on injera, a sourdough steamed bread made from teff flour... but I draw my line at sourdough. We picked up the injera from the Ethiopian market. ;)

[Bonus Pic] Spices masquerading as amateur exoplanet photography.

PCvzL9r.jpg

​​​​

Last edited:
I just finished the series. It was so good and really churned up some good thinking. It was also really relatable for a twinkie like me.

ahpadt;n3546677 said:
Ugly Delicious on Netflix. Highly recommended.

still in the process of wachting somebody feed phill, but that's next on the list of food programs! :)

Sort of amusing: just saw two commercials in a row, one from Wendy's, and one from Subway, both of them not only calling out McDonald's by name, but using their logo, mentions of specific menu items, etc. I feel like it's rare to see commercials being so aggressive against a specific competitor outside of pickup truck commercials.