Ford transmission goes to eleven

geeman

suomiface
Car(s)
Toyota Corolla,Chevrolet Corvette,Alfa Romeo Mito
Hyk2AuG.jpg

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/1...-ford-motor-company-with-the-uspto-94355.html

Ford is patenting a 11-speed automatic transmission.

So, now you'll sound like a semi truck off the line? Bro truck owners will love this transmission.

Maybe this will allow smaller less powerful engines in vehicles.

Having driven The new Cherokee, 9 speeds is too much. If the engine can't pull the car it's in with 5-6 gears, it's too small. And no, a CVT is not the answer if it's made by Hyundai/Chrysler.

This goes to eleven.

This seems a bit excessive. I've never been in a situation with my 6 speed autos where I have ever wanted another gear. Heck, there was only one specific situation that would flummox the 4 speed auto in my old truck.

My guess is that's what they're trying to emulate, yes. Or, rather, they're trying to get the efficiency benefits of always having the perfect gear ratio without the weakness or extra mechanical losses of a CVT.

Aren't there mechanical weakness of a transmission that's constantly changing changing gears?

This is just stupid. All it does is add weight so any performance gains are negated by that.

At some point I'd presume that a CVT would make more sense than adding more and more gears. But if the CVT can't handle the power/weight stresses that some vehicles (like trucks) would put on them, I guess the added gears on a conventional transmission makes sense.

And no, a CVT is not the answer if it's made by Hyundai/Chrysler.

Hyundai makes the conventional 6-speed auto on the 2014+ Patriot/Compass. Jatco (who also makes Nissan's CVTs and is a Nissan spin off company) builds the CVT for FDII equipped models, obviously to Chrysler specifications of course.*

If the 6-speed Hyundai auto is anything like the 6-speed in the Elantra and Sonata vehicles, it's very competent...smooth yet responsive. I like.

*Why I know so much detail about these things...I have no idea...

Last edited:
Yeah the 6 speed is better but, it's still a patriot built by trailer trash meth eaters.

This is just stupid. All it does is add weight so any performance gains are negated by that.

It's not like a planetary gear weighs 26lbs. I also doubt Ford would go to the effort of developing the thing if there were no gains to it.

Also, "developing" doesn't mean "building to put in the 2017 Fushion." It's entirely possible they are in the research/test phase. It's entirely possible that, in the end, they'll still determine the cost, weight and other issues will out-weigh and negate any MPG gains, perceived increases in power (depending on the programming), or marketing potential.

For that matter, it may end up being specific to something like the diesel trucks, where the narrow powerband but enormous power output could certainly benefit from more gears.