Ford's Mustang Mach E

What keeps getting worse?

It is not as ugly as I first feared. The camo pics I seen made it look downright terrible, but I guess that is why they use it.

This is not to say I like it. At this point, I would pass on it, but I think I need to see it in the flesh. So it gets a meh-, with a note of you can do better.

The name is also terrible. I don't think mach when I see it. The GT would be better for that name. The Mustang should be used only with the car.

Maybe they should dust off Ranchero instead. Hell, Falcon would be a better fit.

Or Fairlane.

Galaxie!

E-dsel?

:tease:

Reactions: MWF
Yeah I have to agree with it being ugly and why??? Call it a mustang??

Also everyone has missed the most obvious name, though the design is still wrong, the name of a car which has had FAR less fitting designs over the years.

LIKE COME ON IF I CONVERT MY CAR TO ELECTRIC, I'D CALL IT A LIGHTNING BUG, IF YOU HAVE AN ELECTRIC FORD WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU SHOULD CALL IT????

T-bird.jpg

Like fucking come on!!!

@katwalk EVs are pretty quiet, so the name Thunderbird does not work well.

Honestly my main take with electric cars is they need like... something that works as the opposite to a muffler. Like someone brought in their Bolt? To the shop class. The noise they make amplified up I think WOULD sound decently cool and spaceship like.

I think the biggest issue with the way manufacturers view this electric car stuff is the same issue with like... "vegan" alternatives to food. Too much trying to copy the original thing and not enough trying to stand on it's own. You're not trying to steal buyers from YOURSELF really vs like, Tesla. A veggie burger that tastes nothing like a beef burger deserves to exist as long as it is it's own good taste.

A fake mustang with a fake noise will just feel like a shitty imitation. Stick a mic next to the engine and style it into a space age thunderbird and you might end up with something actually cool

It just hit me as I came in to post this, Ford missed a great name, and Kat almost hit it. Lightning. I think it says it all.

Anyway...

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/bill-ford-didnt-want-call-mach-e-mustang-until-he-drove-it

Bill Ford didn't want to call Mach-E a Mustang — until he drove it

LOS ANGELES — In order to call the Mach-E electric crossover a Mustang, Ford Motor Co.'s Team Edison needed the approval of one of the most passionate pony-car enthusiasts around: Executive Chairman Bill Ford.

Ford allegedly owns 35 Mustangs. If the electric-vehicle team wanted to make it 36, they needed his OK.

It wasn't an easy process.

"I certainly wasn't sold at the beginning — far from it," Ford said on the sidelines of the vehicle's reveal Sunday night. "They came to me and said, 'We really think we can make this Mustang-inspired, really Mustang-like.' I said, 'You guys aren't telling me you want to call this a Mustang.' No one would say yes, but nobody would say no, either. I said, 'No, I'm sorry, I don't want to hurt the brand. This is not going to be a Mustang.' "

But the team was persistent. They knew they needed the cachet of the name to woo uncertain buyers to an EV and believed they could achieve the necessary performance figures to earn the iconic badge.

Top meeting

Jim Farley, Ford's president of new businesses, technology and strategy, who spearheaded the project, told Automotive News that nerves were high during the meeting, which he described as "one of the top few" important discussions he's been part of at Ford.

"Bill came in the room, we had all the information, we had a really open discussion with him," Farley said. "We had to prove to him it has all the substance of a Mustang."

The crux of the team's argument was that it could get 332 hp and 417 pound-feet of torque from the base version of the five-seater, with a faster 0 to 60 mph time than the base Porsche Macan. The GT performance edition would boast 459 hp, 612 pound-feet of torque and a 0 to 60 time comparable to that of a Porsche 911 GTS.

That intrigued Ford, but he needed a lap in a prototype to seal the deal.

'This is a Mustang'

"When I drove it, I knew it had to be a Mustang," Ford said. "Frankly, I was getting there before because I believed the team when they were laying all the specs out. As it evolved and I started to see the performance characteristics, not just the 0 to 60, but the handling dynamics, the driving dynamics and the styling kept evolving, at some point I realized: Yeah, this is a Mustang. The pony could go on the grille."

Farley said Ford's decision let the team move forward with the project, which was under a condensed time frame because the company had scrapped the vehicle's original design.

"He's a smart guy," Farley said. "Driving is believing. After he got out it was double thumbs-up."

Bill Ford plans to order the first Mach-E, joking Sunday night that actor and Mach-E spokesman Idris Elba would have to be second in line for the crossover, which goes on sale late next year.

"It doesn't replace the Mustang car I love," Ford said. "It's an addition to the family, and it's a really important one."

I think Bill has enough on his plate with the football team.

The way the football team is run is proof of that.

Hmm.

Attachments

• 4D0CD01A-4FF6-4A11-80A9-E466078FA1EB.png
    4D0CD01A-4FF6-4A11-80A9-E466078FA1EB.png
    552.7 KB · Views: 115
  • DE7ADE10-43BE-47E7-81B5-FA8EA96EABD3.png
    DE7ADE10-43BE-47E7-81B5-FA8EA96EABD3.png
    147.2 KB · Views: 111