Formula 1 driver Robert Kubica injured in rally crash

calvinhobbes

Forum Addict
DONOR
BBC News

Formula 1 star Robert Kubica has suffered fractures to his right arm, leg and hand after a high-speed rally crash in Italy on Sunday morning.
Best wishes, I hope he recovers from it!

1: Best wishes to him.

2: That was bloody stupid letting an F1 driver go in a rally car, a month prior to the season starting.

He's always been rallying at the same time as F1.

Here's hoping he makes full recovery.

What has happened seems to be that he hit a wall and slid into a guard rail on the opposing side, hitting it in an angle so unfortunate that it entered the cabin at the driver's side and injured him.

Here is a picture of the car after the crash. WARNING: MAY BE TOO GRAPHIC FOR SOME!
He's currently in an artificial coma and will have another surgery on his injured hand. However, doctors are positive that they will be able to save the hand. Also, it seems he otherwise is in quite good state.

Last edited:
I hope he has a speedy recovery, it won't be the same without him this season.

A driver is allowed to do whatever he wants in his spare time, so if he wants to go rallying then he will go rallying!

They have clauses forbidding them from riding fast motorbikes or doing extreme sports. Well most drivers do.

This is from Eric Boullier of Renault...

"Whether it's a Lotus, a Renault or a Skoda it doesn't make any difference: it's nothing to do with business.

"We've let him do it because rallying is what he loves to do. Rallying is vital for Robert and for his sanity. Besides that, there is a reciprocal agreement. We knew the risks and so did he. We didn't want a robot or a corporate man for a driver."

Taken from an Autosport news article.

And if you call Kubica reckless for doing a rally now, what do you say about the drivers in the 1960s-1970s? They were racing in far more dangerous cars, and there were quite a few distinguished drivers in that era who literally raced EVERYTHING that moved.

Greatest example: Vic Elford. F1, WSC and CanAm sportscars, rallying, you name it, he drove it.

Last edited:
Kubica is indestructable. I wish him another speedy and fully recovery.

Robert, you will be missed and awaited on the grid.

"Living dangerously for 35 years sure beats enduring a boring life for 80 years"
- Adelaide Siffert -

Man, that's going to blow if Kubica's out for the whole season. :(

I don't see the point in telling a driver not to do rallies and such. I mean, they limit testing in F1 so much nowadays that I'd almost prefer drivers to do some driving elsewhere to get more seat time doing something. Even if rallying IS a completely different banana, obviously it hasn't messed with Kubica too much to switch back and forth between F1 and rally if he's been doing it all these years.

I wish him a speedy recovery. The man's a badass.

I Hope He Has A Speedy Recovery F1 Wont Be Same Until His Back

bump...

Renault has set a mid-October deadline for keeping a seat open for Robert Kubica next year, with the team keen to know its 2012 driver line-up as soon as possible.

The Enstone-based outfit is eager to get Kubica back racing, but knows it cannot wait until the eve of the next campaign to sort out its plans - because then it will be too late to find the kind of high-quality replacement it will need.

Team principal Eric Boullier said that a decision would be taken next month about whether Kubica will definitely be back, or if the team needs to sort out finding a full-time replacement.

"My issue is I cannot miss the opportunity to have Robert back, but at the same time I have to protect the interests of this team," Boullier said, when asked by AUTOSPORT about the driver situation for next year. "I need to define the best driver line-up, or the best one I can afford.

"I will be flexible because I really like Robert and it is worth for him to be back, but by the middle of October or the end of October I need to have clear confirmation, even if we have some work to go through.

"I am not expecting him to be as fast as last year, because when you have been away from racing for one year it is tough to be back, and on top of this you have a bad accident like he had, then it is not easy. But I need to understand if he can do it."

Kubica is set to get back behind the wheel of either a road car or an F1 simulator in one month's time - which should provide the first indication on whether or not the Pole will be able to race again.

As well as sorting out simulator time for Kubica, Renault will also make available a 2009-spec car for testing if it is required over the winter.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94469