Forum Suggestions / Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ehhh. I kinda feel like that's sorta why offtopic exists though...what sayeth you, mighty mods of finalgear?

That was temporary. I had to restart nginx for the static images. Hit CTRL+F5 to reload your cache.

So yeah, we switched to a new load balancer. Report any issues please..

About 1 in every 5 threads or posts I try to view end up with this.

http://img21.imageshack.**/img21/1160/61359067.th.jpg

Last edited:
well... not as a load-balancer. Looks like maybe it can't handle being the webserver either.

Looks like some users are still having problems. We'll attack it again tomorrow and hopefully make real progress. In the mean time, if you have trouble, please post here (if you can) or /msg PacketCollision on IRC. Make sure to tell us what OS/Browser (including versions) you are using.

Are you guys planning on moving to LB appliances, or keeping it server-based?

I'd IRC, but I can't do that at work. :p

LB?

And the mebbit web-IRC client shouldn't look like IRC traffic to work people :)

I just started having the same problem as Clegko & Karn Evil: specific page will stay blank, reload doesn't help:

Windows XP SP3, Firefox 3.5.5

LB?

And the mebbit web-IRC client shouldn't look like IRC traffic to work people :)
Load Balancing. Like a Kemp appliance, etc.

And I work at a web hosting company, so I really don't want to test the information security dept's savvy. :p

I tweaked the server configs, let me know if you keep seeing blank pages (and if so, if it's more or less often).

Load Balancing. Like a Kemp appliance, etc.
We're sticking with server-based, for cost and flexibility reasons. Haproxy should be able to deal with more load than we have. It's the backend servers that give us trouble :(

I assume the 6950 is still around, but what's the other web server now?

Well when I say "server" I really mean "instance"

Everything is running on the 6950 under ESXi. Each part of the site/forums runs under a separate VM. ie; database, web1/web2, haproxy, firewall, mail, main site+squid, etc.

I just found out that all the links in my reputation list lead to blank (as in non-loading) pages. All the time that is, a repeatable failure. And it goes for all links in there, no matter to which thread they redirect.

EDIT: and I just got a blank page when I made this post, was fixed by a reload.

We can't tell if the measures we're taking are helping unless people who were having problems tell us if they still are. Please, if you notice any blank pages, let us know here or on IRC. If you are getting them reliably and would like to help with testing, please let me know. Since neither Quiky nor I can reproduce the problem, we need your help to make sure things run smoothly.

Well, I'm still having the above-described problem: blank pages which can't be fixed by a reload for all my reputation list entries.

Also, I can't view the penultimate page of the funny pictures thread. I used to get a blank page for that thread constantly for a while. Later, I was able to view the thread normally. I found out that it worked again when a new page was started. Now, I can watch page 318 fine (note that I have my forum options set to having 50 posts per page displayed), but when I click on page 317, I get a blank page again. Reloading doesn't help. So effectively, there is at least this one page I simply cannot view. I'm sure there are more which I simply don't know of. But it's absolutely reproducable.

Like I said earlier, it's WinXP SP3 & Firefox 3.5.5

Anything more I can do to help find the problem?

EDIT: again, I had a random blank page when sending this very post, but this one was fixable by a reload.

I'm having the above problem as well to a pretty bad degree. I'm running XP and Opera 10.1. I've tried running windows explorer instead (I feel so dirty) but it didn't fix the problem at all.

It's not just when I'm clicking the link in the rep thing either, it's also happening when I click on a lot of the the 'go to first new unread post' buttons and some other times, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.