Forums have been upgraded to vBulletin 5

Misrabelle;n3542254 said:
It's not user friendly at this point, so perhaps people are waiting until the bugs are ironed out before coming back.
This. I found that the default theme melted my retinas despite me being fine with the old one which wasn't exactly dark. I've changed it to "Grunge" which makes it considerably more bearable.

captain_70s;n3542256 said:
This. I found that the default theme melted my retinas despite me being fine with the old one which wasn't exactly dark. I've changed it to "Grunge" which makes it considerably more bearable.

It's....brown.

Of course it is. Did you expect anything else?
I'm currently running cool blue, but hanging out for a dark theme

Two more issues:
  • There seems to be an encoding problem. altoid's PYC thread for his bike shows up as "It�s fucking yellow, alright?! altoid�s Ninja 500R" (note the question marks), as does public's user title.
    I'm on Firefox 57.0.1, but the issue also shows on Chromium 63.0.3239.84.
  • More of an annoyance than an issue: Right click on thread titles in the search results does bring up a bubble showing the beginning of the text of the first post, so in order to get the context menu (for copying the link to the thread for example), you have to right click twice.

DanRoM;n3542307 said:
  • More of an annoyance than an issue: Right click on thread titles in the search results does bring up a bubble showing the beginning of the text of the first post, so in order to get the context menu (for copying the link to the thread for example), you have to right click twice.

That is not the case on my end. The preview-bubble is a delayed mouse-over effect for me, right-click immediately opens the expected context menu. The mouseover-bubble usually pops up later than the right click happens and is hidden or barely visible behind the context menu, to the degree that I hadn't even noticed it until I just tested it. Tested on W10Pro/Chrome 62.0.3202.94 (And since it is just downloading an update, I'll edit in here in a few seconds the new version: 63.0.3239.108).

DanRoM;n3542307 said:
Two more issues:

In addition to the encoding, that thread is generally giving me trouble. Many posts are blank, from different people too. I can't go to page 2 from page 1 (but I can get to page 2 via clicking on the last post icon), I can't quote any post in there. It also wouldn't mark the thread as read before I just replied in it myself. The only thing that I am not sure about is: Is the empty posts a forum issue, or actually deleted-by-altoid content? Based on the "Nothing" in the first post. But I don't see edited-notes, which may or may not be a thing with vb5 though.

I'm getting notifications for the Not Safe For Prying Eyes thread all of a sudden, despite being unsubscribed from that one for years. I've tried to unsubscribe, but the notifications keep showing up anyway.

Ugh, I hope we could get a better theme. This default vBulletin one is horribad.

There are some in a drop down menu on the bottom left side of the page.

93Flareside, all these themes are pretty much the same, just different colours. The UI issues we're discussing here are bigger than that.

Guys, I don't want to seem ungratefull towards the Admins here, or be an alarmist, but as it is now, this forum is downright unusable for most, and it shows in the activity.

Once those regulars are to long gone they are not coming back, and with them this entire board, it was slowing down as it was before the change......please, whatever it takes, get this place running in an at least semi decent fashion again in reasonable time, or it's toast.

Last edited:
I can agree. Part of that too in my world, Tapatalk isn't communicating well with this forum. My 'Participated' section doesn't pick up on the threads I've just posted in or have so in the past well. Last thing that comes up is my post in the chinese electric car thread despite a bunch of posting in the random thoughts and many other thread since then. Unread seems very slow to update and appears to cherrypick what it wants to show. I know we can't control the app itself but, there's got to be a way to improve what Tapatalk gets from us. The other forum I use through the app "grandmarq.net" also has issues but, I put that down to the userbase being older than dirt and therefore just don't understand forum software that well hell, there's two entries for that forum on tapatalk. allfordmustangs.com seems to be playing nice with Tapatalk. Whats up with us?

Most of the time, I'm accessing the forums from my phone as a quick thing to pass time. I hardly am on my laptop doing actual web surfing since I only use it for netflix or youtube due to the bigger screen and better-ish speakers.

Cowboy;n3542549 said:
Guys, I don't want to seem ungratefull towards the Admins here, or be an alarmist, but as it is now, this forum is downright unusable for most, and it shows in the activity.

Once those regulars are to long gone they are not coming back, and with them this entire board, it was slowing down as it was before the change......please, whatever it takes, get this place running in an at least semi decent fashion again in reasonable time, or it's toast.

And what do you recommend we do? I'm very open to suggestions but we aren't going back to vB4 -- it's unsupported and insecure.

Let's start with something simple - why do we still have a stupid vBulletin logo as our forum header instead of an FG logo? Maybe we should buy a new theme or get one customized? I'm sure we could take up a collection among members for that.

We should contact Tapatalk and see if they can offer any sort of advice on the problems we're having. In my own case, I can't access any longer threads - Tapatalk basically times out and tells me there was a server error.

Viper007Bond;n3542586 said:
And what do you recommend we do? I'm very open to suggestions but we aren't going back to vB4 -- it's unsupported and insecure.

I realy wish I had a clue, this Internet/webhost thing is not my cup of tea at all, but I can't help but notice there are plenty of forums (forai?) around the net that do not use what we have now, nor what we had before, that work fine....

I'm not trying to be antagonising about this, and I respect all the hard work you and others do, but I'm also a realistic man, and I see this place going down the drain if this keeps up.

Last edited:
Spectre;n354259 said:
I'm sure we could take up a collection among members for that.

I'll chuck in a few bucks for that one, yes.

To be honest, I think most of the problem is the theme and the lack of Logo. Changing "New Topics" to "What's new" would also perhaps help trigger that "familiarity" sensor in our brains. Other things, like making the avatars bigger again and adding location and cars to the side bar are more complex and could take more time to add.

Last edited: