Frankfurt: Mercedes-Benz Vision R63 AMG

bihus said:
flyingfridge said:
^^ Now that's just stoopid. Looks like a bigger version of the original A-Class.

Lessons on how to devalue a brand 101.

Hey, they improved the A-class... they had to fuck up in another way. :mrgreen:

Yes, but even though it's improved the A-Class is still a fuck up, the current M-Class is also a piece of shit and judging by the photos the next one wont be a big step forward, the current SLK is still a 'fill the gaps for the hairdressers' car, the E-Class has none of the grandeur that used to make it the execs choice and it's ageing very badly for such a recent car, hell the only good cars Mercedes make are the CLS, the SL and the S class (even then the current S aged badly, at least the new one will re-add some spice).

I can see Jeremy's point of view when he was talking about Mercedes cars at the end of the CLS piece he did in episode 06x01.

flyingfridge said:
bihus said:
flyingfridge said:
^^ Now that's just stoopid. Looks like a bigger version of the original A-Class.

Yes, but even though it's improved the A-Class is still a fuck up, the current M-Class is also a piece of shit and judging by the photos the next one wont be a big step forward, the current SLK is still a 'fill the gaps for the hairdressers' car, the E-Class has none of the grandeur that used to make it the execs choice and it's ageing very badly for such a recent car,
1.How is the A-Class a fuck up? This is how Clarkson wraps it up
Clarkson said:
Overall, though, I have to say that the A-class was very, very good. It drives and feels just like a much bigger Mercedes, and that brings me on to the only significant drawback. It?s also priced like a much bigger Mercedes.
Thats good coming from one of the harshest in the industry. Most other reviews are quite good about it aswell like the Fifth Gear one.

2. How could you judge the M-Class by its looks? The old one WAS a fuckup but this one is MUCH better. Look at what Carpoint says about it:
Carpoint said:
The second-generation M-Class is a massive improvement on the ML of old, combining styling flair with convincing performance, excellent on-road qualities, class-leading comfort, extended versatility and, at last, truly impressive quality. BMW's X5 may have defined the luxury-off-roader genre, but the lead in this significant category may be about to change.

3. Yeh the SLK is just in there for the architects, photographers, docters etc...but its a damn good car aswell.

4. Finally the E-Class. I can understand if you think its aged. Thats probly cos the design is so similar to the one it replaced. Also cos it can be a taxi in parts of Europe and Asia. But its still a really good executive car and is 2nd only to the 5Series in its drive. But in terms of prestige, good looks and elegance, the E-Class is way ahead. The A6 would be 2nd and the BMW 3rd IMHO. In fact, last year it sold more units in America than the 5'er - (45,584 : 58,954).

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
flyingfridge said:
bihus said:
flyingfridge said:

Yes, but even though it's improved the A-Class is still a fuck up, the current M-Class is also a piece of shit and judging by the photos the next one wont be a big step forward, the current SLK is still a 'fill the gaps for the hairdressers' car, the E-Class has none of the grandeur that used to make it the execs choice and it's ageing very badly for such a recent car,
1.How is the A-Class a fuck up? This is how Clarkson wraps it up
Clarkson said:
Overall, though, I have to say that the A-class was very, very good. It drives and feels just like a much bigger Mercedes, and that brings me on to the only significant drawback. It?s also priced like a much bigger Mercedes.
Thats good coming from one of the harshest in the industry. Most other reviews are quite good about it aswell like the Fifth Gear one.

2. How could you judge the M-Class by its looks? The old one WAS a fuckup but this one is MUCH better. Look at what Carpoint says about it:
Carpoint said:
The second-generation M-Class is a massive improvement on the ML of old, combining styling flair with convincing performance, excellent on-road qualities, class-leading comfort, extended versatility and, at last, truly impressive quality. BMW's X5 may have defined the luxury-off-roader genre, but the lead in this significant category may be about to change.

3. Yeh the SLK is just in there for the architects, photographers, docters etc...but its a damn good car aswell.

4. Finally the E-Class. I can understand if you think its aged. Thats probly cos the design is so similar to the one it replaced. Also cos it can be a taxi in parts of Europe and Asia. But its still a really good executive car and is 2nd only to the 5Series in its drive. But in terms of prestige, good looks and elegance, the E-Class is way ahead. The A6 would be 2nd and the BMW 3rd IMHO. In fact, last year it sold more units in America than the 5'er - (45,584 : 58,954).

I agree with you about the A, the ML and the SLK. They're both big improvements. Except that fugly SLK front.

But about the E>A6>5 relation you made, I think the A6, despite liking Audi best, is after the 5. And in some places, the 5 has better reputation than the E.

5>A6>E and when it comes to looks, A6>5>E

Heheh, as soon as I made that post I knew the big one-eyed Mercedes lover would get on here and make his point.

Mercedes now compared to Mercedes of old has gone to the dogs, big time. BMW, isn't far behind but at least it is keeping it's head held high with the likes of the M5, M3CSL and M6. That's BMW's history, 2 and 4 door saloons that are a great drive and that gene flows through the entire range. Every motoring journo says that the 1, 3, and 5 are all the best drives in their respective classes. Audi is the only one of the big 3 German luxo brands still doing top notch quality and it's sticking to it's heritage with the heavy all wheel drive influence (although the Auto Union days go way back, with lots of wonderful achievements, lets just look at Audi). The new E-Class is like a wet rag compared to Es of old (with respect to their time). There is only one car in Benz's range still doing what Benz is famous for. The S-Class. Cutting edge luxo barges. Even then the quality is gone, so it's only a half achievement. Benz might as well be Chrysler, oh wait, it is.

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
4. Finally the E-Class. I can understand if you think its aged. Thats probly cos the design is so similar to the one it replaced. Also cos it can be a taxi in parts of Europe and Asia..

Even worse, it's the dominant cop car here. Not cool.

fbc said:
bihus said:
Ianspeed said:
mm.... more dillution of the brand... :(

<ducks> :eek: :D

The only thing left is the brand.

The rest has disappeared. They're just selling based on it.

Agreed.

:thumbsdown: to this and Mercedes' desire to plug every market niche imaginable no matter what the cost to the brand.

3x. 4x including flyingfridge's mini rant.

Mercedes is polluting their tarnished image with crappy electronics, too many models, and a general "touchy feely downmarket" ad campaign. It's frankly insulting to the old, wonderful, stately beasts from the 60's and 70's. Do they really need another MPV when they already have 2 or 3 SUVs and a slew of excellent wagons? It's a minivan without sliding doors!

Although it should be fast, which I hope is another future trend: hot rod minivans. Dodge Caravan SRT-8 anyone? :twisted: