Frankfurt Motor Show: Renaultsport Clio

Overheat

Forum Addict
clio-concept-f3q-st.jpg

Renault's competition and tuning branch, Renaultsport, has made the Clio Renaultsport Concept. The all-new third-generation Clio goes on sale from October, and this new show car is meant to provide accurate clues to the car that will succeed the current hot-hatch Clio Renaultsport 2.0 182 in 2006. And Renault hints that it might be the first manufacturer in the sector to introduce a Formula One-style underfloor diffuser. The idea behind the diffuser is to channel and accelerate air to create a low-pressure area, which produces downforce without the need to tack a big spoiler on the back, as seen on Subaru's Impreza et al.

To give the Clio an aggressive, four-square stance, designers have grafted on wider wings, a lowered ride height and side skirts, which combine with the diffuser and extractor vents on the front wings to give the Concept real presence. The wheels are seven-spoke, 18-inch items, and at the front, the radiator grille and foglight surrounds have been chromed for a high-tech look.

Renault says that the Clio Renaultsport will use a development of the 2.0 16V naturally aspirated engine used to such good effect in the current cars. Power will be directed via a six-speed gearbox. And the new generation of independent front suspension promises that the next hot Clio should be at least as good to drive as the capable current version.

While the exterior of the Clio Concept looks like it could go into production today, the interior looks far more like a 'concept', thanks mainly to those four individual bucket seats separated by an integral, chrome-zinc centre console. The dashboard architecture, though, is production-spec, but with a neat white-faced 'sports' treatment for the instruments.

mmm RenaltSport Clio... fun.... :thumbsup:

Sure it may not be the most attractive thing to some eyes (I don't mind it though), but I'm more concerned with how it drives - and if it lives up to it's predecessor it's going to be a great drive.

given the choice, I'd take a slightly older Clio Cup and pocket the rest :) it's a shame we don't get the one with the 3L v6(?) sitting transverse where the boot is meant to be..

^ The V6 Clio's been killed off - tragic. One of my favourite cars - just so nutty

looks kinda nice, i like it

and the current clio V6 is been killed off. does that mean there won't be one for the next model at all?

bone said:
looks kinda nice, i like it

and the current clio V6 is been killed off. does that mean there won't be one for the next model at all?

Yep, it means exactly that.
I'll try to remember scanning an article of the V6.