Free Registry Cleaner

vRS

Car(s)
'99 BMW 323i SE
Need a free registry clean as mine is is desperate need of a clean. I know all about how Registry Smart is a "scam" . Most the ones I found scan and find h errors but you have to pay fro a full version to clear them.

In my experience, "registry cleaners" aren't a good idea, even the ones that aren't a scam. In theory, they're a good idea but often times they can cause more problems than they fix. The registry should rarely be messed with, and even then ONLY if you really know what you're doing. If you "must" clean your registry, I'd say CCleaner.

In my experience, "registry cleaners" aren't a good idea, even the ones that aren't a scam. In theory, they're a good idea but often times they can cause more problems than they fix. The registry should rarely be messed with, and even then ONLY if you really know what you're doing.

Agreed.

Just format your C: and start over once a year or so. If you only have one hard drive, partition it into two parts so that you can easily format your C: part (Windows / Programs) and not loose your music / Top Gear / etc. (D: drive).

F*ck formatting, make a weekly backup image onto an external drive. Takes like 10 minutes to backup/restore.

Best, IMHO: Format once, install all your necessary programs, make an image, and reapply that when you feel the need...

Or get a pirate XP with silent installs for everything...

I find the problem with an image is that all the programs / drivers / etc. are all old by the next time you use the image.

And it only takes a few hours anyway to quick wipe, install XP, run Windows Update a million times, install latest drivers, and then be done (install programs as you need them).

Dude, you're supposed to make a weekly image, so any updates or changes are reflected in each new backup.

And it only takes a few hours anyway to quick wipe, install XP, run Windows Update a million times, install latest drivers, and then be done (install programs as you need them).

I agree with the format/reinstall method, but I hate the first days after a clean install: you forget half of the programs you need, you download something (after you finally installed that torrent client), you forgot to install Winrar, then you forgot to install codecs and you forgot to install a cd burner.

:) or maybe i just forget things

Agreed.

Just format your C: and start over once a year or so. If you only have one hard drive, partition it into two parts so that you can easily format your C: part (Windows / Programs) and not loose your music / Top Gear / etc. (D: drive).

Yep, that's the best way to go. I also usually format once a year.

Earlier this year my computer decided it needed to have a crash. It kinda ticked me off at the time but fortunately I didn't lose much at all because a lot of it was on the D drive. My external hard drive helped out a lot too. After I got it going again it ran so much faster and smoother than it ever did before. It used to take two whole minutes to shut down and now it does it in about 20 seconds or less. I think I might reformat it again here before I have important stuff stored on it when classes start next month.

i would like to do frequent reformats, but as Jensked said, you always forget what software is installed. and remebering the serial numbers can be a pain in arse too. i don't have an external drive either, but i'm thinking of getting a 500Gb one to create an image of my 320Gb drive + my 120Gb drive. also, making a partition sounds like a good idea

Before I reformat I go through and simply write down the programs I need to reinstall, along with certain settings. It really doesn't take that long and then you don't have to worry about forgetting things.

The last time I did a clean install, I got my basic software installed (Office, antivirus/malware, for example), got all my settings configured the way I like them, and THEN made an image. That's what I use when I reformat. True, I still have to install some stuff, and the updates since that image, but it still saves A LOT of time.

Oh yeah, when you're doing a fresh install, AutoPatcher is your friend. www.autopatcher.com. You can get all the Windows updates bundled in one installer. It's way easier and faster than using Windows Update 40 times to make sure you got the updates and then the updates to those updates and on and on.