fuel economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it's just some eco-troll. but still:

I would have thought the time is right to start producing some of the fuel efficient concept cars.
Welcome to 1976

800px-Peugoet_104_ZS_1976.jpg

800px-FiestaFestival01.jpg

800px-Vauxhall_Chevette_loved_by_learners.JPG

They can produce them, but will people buy them? After all, I can't see them being competitive with normal cars pricewise.

I'd like to see manufacturers take more methods to reduce the weight of cars, but it's all about what people are prepared to buy.

I'd love to see more MPG.

But thats to save money.

And im not gonna be caught dead in an electric car, so get over that. I'll feel satisfied with my 17mpg in my truck, as long as my truck is useful.

Speaking of which VW should really make a Version of the VW Splittie my favorite fuel friendly vechicle, anyways back on the topic I do agree, Why do the old people need a v-6 when they could have a v-2, Germany to Britian in a few mintues.

^lol

If you're really concerned about wasteful materials, the environment and fuel/oil consumption, get a bike. seriously. a motorcycle is far less wasteful than even a fully electric car. less energy is spent producing it, running it and maintaining it.

unfortunately, riding a motorcycle requires a pair of testicles(figuratively speaking for the lady riders), which is something 99% of ecomentalists lack.

^lol

If you're really concerned about wasteful materials, the environment and fuel/oil consumption, get a bike. seriously. a motorcycle is far less wasteful than even a fully electric car. less energy is spent producing it, running it and maintaining it.

And motorbikes as polluting as all hell. There is somthing called air quallity which I like!

Personally I think more efficient cars are a great idea, however its harder than you think. There are rules and rules, and to be honest most of them make lots of sense. Most of the weight in cars these days is sound deadening.....we had a Porsche 928 at work and it had 90kg of lead lined sound absorbtion material over the torque tube tunnel (trans tunnel)

If you can invent ultra lightweight sound and heat absorbing material you will be a rich man/woman.....

If anything, drive your current car more efficiently. With my commute, I shaved off 5 miles round trip by using the straightest route possible with the least amount of stops (I use a stretch of Interstate), drive the speed limit of 55 on the interstate with the cruise control on, shift at 2200 RPMS before the turbo fully spools, keep tabs on the air pressure in the tires, and my WRX is averaging 29 MPG.

Technically, that is impossible by Subaru's standards. I think half the reason people get such lousy gas mileage is because they like to speed, (and who doesn't?), but also because they need more organization in their life, so time wouldn't be spent in the car driving balls out to reach a destination.

go ahead and explain to me how a bike that gets 70MPG and take far less energy and materials to make is more polluting than a car.

i think the issue is with actual polution, not the fairly-land nonsense CO2 issue that people always talk about. The problem atleast would lie in lack of Catalytic converters. I don't know shit about bikes so if modern bikes have Cats then no problem, but i have read over and over again how a 100cc engine run at full throttle for 2 hours will produce as much actual polutents (things that kill life), stuff like Nitrogen Oxides, Carbon Monoxides, and hydrocarbons, as a modern car will in 70,000 miles.

drive the speed limit of 55 on the interstate with the cruise control on, shift at 2200 RPMS before the turbo fully spools

I can agree with many things you say, partly because your avatar looks cool, but i cannot agree with driving "economically" in any car. I'm fine with braking early on approach to a crowded red light so that when i get to a green light i'm still doing 30mph and therefor don't waste as much gas accelerating. I'm fine with investigating the best route. But for the love of god i will NOT drive a car "economically." My vision of hell is having a Bugatti Veyron and never using more then enough throttle to keep up with traffic and only ever doing 55mph, and i doubt i'm alone in hating such a idea. Thus why i do think it is important to have weak but fun cars around, not that this hasn't been said before, but I am of strong belief that it really is much more fun to drive a slow car quickly then a fast car slowly. So thanks but no thanks, i'd much rather drive the pants off a frugal little car, and have all the drama and purpose and noise, then drive around at 2000 RPMs wondering if this is what being dead feels like.

Last edited:
but i have read over and over again how a 100cc engine run at full throttle for 2 hours will produce as much actual polutents (things that kill life), stuff like Nitrogen Oxides, Carbon Monoxides, and hydrocarbons, as a modern car will in 70,000 miles.
I gotta call BS on that. I don't buy that for a minute.
I am of strong belief that it really is much more fun to drive a slow car quickly then a fast car slowly.
Yes. some of the most fun you'll hav eis in driving a shitty car as fast as it can go, even if it's not that fast. AE86 and older civics are a great example, you can keep those things floored forever, without tossing yourself into a tree.

Oh that gets old after a while trust me, the slow part really makes it annoying I would literally give my left nut for an LS-7 Drop in.

but i have read over and over again how a 100cc engine run at full throttle for 2 hours will produce as much actual polutents (things that kill life), stuff like Nitrogen Oxides, Carbon Monoxides, and hydrocarbons, as a modern car will in 70,000 miles.
I gotta call BS on that. I don't buy that for a minute.

Well thats just proof your a F'ing idiot :rolleyes:. Anybody with a basic knowlege of emmision controls with agree with me....No crank vent, no fuel vent, all the nasty un-burnt hydrocarbons and NOx emmisions.

Sorry for being harsh, but it sadly is a fact......alot of smaller engines have trouble running CAT's because they simply cant get them up to temperature. And then we have two strokes.....oh gawd......Anything with a two stroke (and rotary) should be banned. Period...

KaBOOMn said:
Well thats just proof your a F'ing idiot
you're such a nice guy KaBOOMn. EDIT: I think it's awesome that I'M the one getting the warning here. :rolleyes:

You're only counting what's coming out of the tailpipe my friend. What about all the waste and pollution created in making the actual vehicle? That's the problem with people and hybrids and crap(and apparently your problem as well), they're only thinking about what happens in their driveway, not the whole process, from beginning to end.

Here's a nice pic of where they get the metal for prius batteries:
manufactured3.jpg

this type of crying about what is coming out of the car after you buy it just shows a lack of knowledge or a lack of actually giving a shit. think big picture here. You've gone and missed the point entirely you "oh so knowledgeable" dick head.

Last edited:
I originally posted this thread from a U.K perspective and it's interesting to see the different attitudes from other countries particularly the U.S. My reason for posting was purely on cost grounds not environmental.In the U.K. the current cost of petrol is ?1.08 a LITRE and diesel is ?1.14(I've rounded up the stupid .9) Using a quick calculation and converting to U.S. gallons that's $8.23 a gallon!!! What's the current ave. cost per gallon in the U.S.? just over $3? The annual road tax on large vehicles has also just been raised supposedly to discourage large vehicles(on environmental grounds) but it's only a thinly disguised tax on the motorist(well we do have a war to pay for)Unfortunately owning a car in the U.K. is becoming very expensive and with congestion charging/parking permits/fines/fixed speed cameras and cctv cameras watching your every move the car is rapidly becoming a luxury and the days when you went out for a Sunday drive for pleasure are just a memory.This is the reason cost is an issue in the U.K.Unfortunately unless you live in a city public transport is very poor so a car is needed by most people just to get to work etc. hence my interest in economy.Sure people still have cars as a hobby and are interested in tuning etc.(I used to own a few American cars myself)I currently run a Peugeot 106 diesel which returns around 60 mpg(uk) but I would still like more!:rolleyes:

If you do not like the price of petrol or diesel, take it up with your government. 75% of the price you Brits pay for fuel is TAX!!!!!

And for what? Oh, that's right, all those "free" programs administered by the government over there, plus all the "free" welfare for immigrants and lazy scuts. You know what? That's not really free, the money has to come from somewhere and it looks like it's coming out of YOUR pocket.

That's OK. The UK is about to become West Turkistan anyway.

Retro bump = Retro ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.