Fuel? Where we’re going, we won’t need fuel! ==>NooDle’s eGolf

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
Using the 'normal' car heater, available from the factory in every car of a certain make and model, in every country and without additional cost? I think not.
Most higher end cars I seen these days have some sort of app that allows you to remote start em and turn on HVAC..

Also EVs all come at additional cost compared to ICE, batteries ain’t cheap ;)

Granted EVs have some advantage in pre-heating/cooling in that they can do inside an enclosed space and if they are plugged in they won’t be losing any range when doing so.

Last edited:

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
That said, if you're sleeping in an electric car in say, the Swiss Alps in a camp site on top of a hill, you're going to be cozy as fuck. @leviathan

Remote starters been around since at least the 90s
Not around the world. My Golf GTI and Alltrack did not have remote start as an option due to German regs not allowing "useless idling." My boss' Jetta GLI, the Atlas, and US Passat offer it though, I'm thinking that's down to US market designed cars. Jetta notwithstanding.

Going back to electric heat no, it's not 100% efficient as you're still waiting for the heater element to warm up and has been said, you lose noticable range which is less noticable in an ICE car. If they used a compressor and did an air supply heat pump, you'd have greater efficiency though still losses but at least from a residential heating perspective, the losses on a heat pump are less than that of an electric heating element. Problem with that is things get questionable below freezing and heat pumps lose heating value. My guess is a small enough heat pump to work on a car while fine for A/C, wouldn't work well everywhere all the time at all temps so yeah, you'll sacrifice some range which you do in an ICE car as well.

We can make another thread on heating if wanted but this is where I'll stop to reduce derailing of somebody else's car thread.

Last edited:

katwalk

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2003 VW Beetle, 2017 Abarth Fiat 500c
I did an upgrade of sorts. Since it's coldish and I don't really have a good heater, I've got myself one of those heated seat cover thingies. Will report back when it gets colder bur seems to work just fine.

Hope it doesn't drain my 12v battery as it's needed to use the big battery, but I'm not worried
I would recommend unplugging it when you start the car because I have one in the beetle and sometimes it gets angry about that. But then again the beetle is obviously very old now so a new VW might not have the issue. It's fine outside of that for me. TBH I have considered looking into seeing if I could use the heated seats for the GLX models given I know the fuse box has a spot for them at least.

The heater isn't very good, in a Golf? Electric or not, there's no excuse for that. It's this kind of thing that worries me about electric cars, I don't see why I should compromise to suit the power delivery technology. Hopefully the heat pad works well for you.
I actually use one because of a combo of it taking a good 5 minutes of driving for the heat to be usable combined with when those 5 minutes are up the heat in both cars is actually Way Too Good and even on the lowest setting it's super hot lol.

bone

"bangle for president"
DONOR
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
I would recommend unplugging it when you start the car because I have one in the beetle and sometimes it gets angry about that. But then again the beetle is obviously very old now so a new VW might not have the issue. It's fine outside of that for me. TBH I have considered looking into seeing if I could use the heated seats for the GLX models given I know the fuse box has a spot for them at least.
it's an EV, it doesn't need to start ;)

NooDle

Ik ben niet alleen lekker met kaas!
Car(s)
VW eGolf, Hyundai Kona 1.0
First impression : actually a bit too hot for comfort. It does automatically switch off after a while, and alsi has a hi/lo setting. Will experiment further.

Also it's not nearly cold enough for a proper test. It's supposed to be winter and it's 10 degrees outside