Ownership Verified: Fuel? Where we’re going, we won’t need fuel! ==>NooDle’s eGolf

Using the 'normal' car heater, available from the factory in every car of a certain make and model, in every country and without additional cost? I think not.
Most higher end cars I seen these days have some sort of app that allows you to remote start em and turn on HVAC..

Also EVs all come at additional cost compared to ICE, batteries ain’t cheap ;)

Granted EVs have some advantage in pre-heating/cooling in that they can do inside an enclosed space and if they are plugged in they won’t be losing any range when doing so.

Last edited:
That said, if you're sleeping in an electric car in say, the Swiss Alps in a camp site on top of a hill, you're going to be cozy as fuck. @leviathan

Remote starters been around since at least the 90s

Not around the world. My Golf GTI and Alltrack did not have remote start as an option due to German regs not allowing "useless idling." My boss' Jetta GLI, the Atlas, and US Passat offer it though, I'm thinking that's down to US market designed cars. Jetta notwithstanding.

Going back to electric heat no, it's not 100% efficient as you're still waiting for the heater element to warm up and has been said, you lose noticable range which is less noticable in an ICE car. If they used a compressor and did an air supply heat pump, you'd have greater efficiency though still losses but at least from a residential heating perspective, the losses on a heat pump are less than that of an electric heating element. Problem with that is things get questionable below freezing and heat pumps lose heating value. My guess is a small enough heat pump to work on a car while fine for A/C, wouldn't work well everywhere all the time at all temps so yeah, you'll sacrifice some range which you do in an ICE car as well.

We can make another thread on heating if wanted but this is where I'll stop to reduce derailing of somebody else's car thread.

Last edited:
I did an upgrade of sorts. Since it's coldish and I don't really have a good heater, I've got myself one of those heated seat cover thingies. Will report back when it gets colder bur seems to work just fine.

Hope it doesn't drain my 12v battery as it's needed to use the big battery, but I'm not worried
I would recommend unplugging it when you start the car because I have one in the beetle and sometimes it gets angry about that. But then again the beetle is obviously very old now so a new VW might not have the issue. It's fine outside of that for me. TBH I have considered looking into seeing if I could use the heated seats for the GLX models given I know the fuse box has a spot for them at least.

The heater isn't very good, in a Golf? Electric or not, there's no excuse for that. It's this kind of thing that worries me about electric cars, I don't see why I should compromise to suit the power delivery technology. Hopefully the heat pad works well for you.
I actually use one because of a combo of it taking a good 5 minutes of driving for the heat to be usable combined with when those 5 minutes are up the heat in both cars is actually Way Too Good and even on the lowest setting it's super hot lol.

I would recommend unplugging it when you start the car because I have one in the beetle and sometimes it gets angry about that. But then again the beetle is obviously very old now so a new VW might not have the issue. It's fine outside of that for me. TBH I have considered looking into seeing if I could use the heated seats for the GLX models given I know the fuse box has a spot for them at least.

it's an EV, it doesn't need to start ;)

First impression : actually a bit too hot for comfort. It does automatically switch off after a while, and alsi has a hi/lo setting. Will experiment further.

Also it's not nearly cold enough for a proper test. It's supposed to be winter and it's 10 degrees outside

Small dent in the door means I am without an eGolf for a few days. Dunno how it happened but ot seems another driver opened their door too vigourously.

I've had worse replacement cars than this though
4eb942d8bf0b8839787f3ee430a925ce.jpg

"oh, i don't care it takes 2 months for my car to be repaired" :D
Quite. Although it took them just 2 days . Now I want a Tesla. I already did, but now even more so.

Oh well atleast I set a new record in that Mario kart style game it has preinstalled

Quite. Although it took them just 2 days . Now I want a Tesla. I already did, but now even more so.

Oh well atleast I set a new record in that Mario kart style game it has preinstalled

Drive a Taycan. Supposedly those are much better as it drives more like a car and not like somebody who is all about being an electric car. I like the Model 3 but the intense engine braking for regen feeling is so strong that it would take a very long time for me to get used to.

Drive a Taycan. Supposedly those are much better as it drives more like a car and not like somebody who is all about being an electric car. I like the Model 3 but the intense engine braking for regen feeling is so strong that it would take a very long time for me to get used to.
Both are terrible choices, if you gonna go electric get the Hummer!

Sure. I'm free next weekend, could you deliver?

I really really really like strong regen as a default because you can drive using only 1 pedal. The golf coasts as standard znd everytime I get in it, I need to activate the regen manually.

It's such a natural thing now that I nearly crash each time I drive petrol.car...

A bit of bad news, getting ridiculously poor range currently... 2 charges where I got no further than 130 and 160 kms without needing a top up...

Yeah I did a lot of motorway miles, and yeah it's windy and snowy and 1 degree but still, annoying. Not gotten stuck yet because I planned ahead and charged wherever possible. Still weird I can do 100 kms more in summer without trying.

Next up : tyre change, as 39k kms is a bit much for a fwd car with instant torque...

Balls. Locking wheelnuts and no key to be found. I’m quite sure I never received them. So back to the dealer I guess... with worn front tyres....

Ask the dealer for four new proper lug bolts and throw the lock bolts in the trash where they belong.

Ask the dealer for four new proper lug bolts and throw the lock bolts in the trash where they belong.

Thats plan B for now. Dealer is currently looking for keys that will unlock the bolts. If they cant be located I’ll have the tyre fitter remove them by force if needed....

Thats plan B for now. Dealer is currently looking for keys that will unlock the bolts. If they cant be located I’ll have the tyre fitter remove them by force if needed....

Well that took a long time, didn't it?
A few days after this mail, corona broke out, then lockdown, coupled with dealers shutting down meant that I had nowhere to go anyways, meant that this was not a problem. Then, after lockdown, I went and fell on my bike, breaking both wrists in the process (insert laughter). So again, 2 more months of no drivey for me. Then, I had a couple of weeks of holiday, which I spent thoroughly enjoying my car and the concept of driving again, not wanting to faff around with wheel bolts etc.

So today I FINALLY got my new tyres on, fronts only, as 42k kms is quite enough. So no more instant burnout when doing full launches at stoplights. And more importantly, it'll stop MUCH better in the rain now.

Nothing else to report, other than ridiculously good mileage (got up into the 240 km range again recently), without really trying. And yes, of course, outside temperatures and me staying off the highway have a lot to do with that. Still proud of 10.1 kwh/100 kms though, this would mean I could theorethically get the advertised 300 kms out of 1 charge...
IMG_20200807_092518364.jpg

What tires did you go for?
Bridgestone, same as the originals.
I could have gone for Michelins but I heard they wear REALLY quickly, and the Bridgestones were quite good for how I use them.

No more tyre squeal at full acceleration though :burnout:

Another couple of longish journeys complete without troubles (179 kms one way). Weird that wind has such a massive effect though. Reached my destination with 14kms on the guessometer. Drove the exact same road back and had more than 50kms left.

Also, I discovered I still own this shirt.
90b6fd92628c18a30fa02e25d64a4452.jpg

That didn't age well

When a car is very efficient and uses very little "fuel", factors like badly aired tires or a headwind can do a lot.

Just like a moped rider can feel a difference in acceleration depending on how much he had for lunch. A lorry driver with 750HP on tap sometimes can't tell if a wheel bearing is siezed until he notices that a tire is on fire.