Future classics

I would think the Mk1 focus is more akin to something like the Beetle. A classic, in the sense that it brought something to the masses in a way that wasn't done before. You'll see a lot of them all over the world in their original shape, but you will see an equal amount, if not more, beaten up, broken down, not taken care of, etc.

People will respect it for what it is/was, but not value it, if you know what I mean.

There are loads of cars that were cheap and popular when they were being built, but that nobody thought to preserve and look after theirs other than a few old men and hence the survivors are now classic and collectible. Mk1 Mini, Mk1 Ford Cortina, Ford Zephyr, you know like that. I'd say the Mk1 Focus is a good candidate.

In terms of mental cars, that didn't quite fire the public imagination (like DeLorean) what about the Gibbs Aquada that I posted in the 'I need a truck for when it floods' thread?

gibbs_aquada_04.jpg

They will be rare as fuck in a few years. Collected by amphibious car nerds and rich cocks with some water on their land too. Though maybe buying one new might not be the wisest idea.

What's so classic about Skylines? Common as muck.

What's so classic about Skylines? Common as muck.

R32 GT-R due to racing success and a fanatical following. R35 GT-R- I don't know why i just think it would be.

Future classics? I nominate the Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. The Chevy 9C1 Caprice that preceded practically has a cult following already.
url

Future classics? I nominate the Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. The Chevy 9C1 Caprice that preceded practically has a cult following already.

That's the reason I posted the Pug-CC, there are owners clubs for 206-cc, 207-cc, 307-cc, and all 3. Girls love them and their billion tonnes of folding bridge in the boot. I hate them, but there is a following and I can picture them being looked after and trotted out for shows in a decade or two.

agreed on the smart (so rare Ive never even seen one) and the Clio V6, but please explain why the Pug 207 is a classic?

See above. Chicks love folding metal roofs. I know you can get an MX-5 that has one these days, but that's just a monstrous crime and we'll say no more about it. Peugeot introduced automatic folding metal roofs to the masses in a cute super-mini package. I know there were other manufacturers doing affordable CCs at the same time, but I don't see any Renault Megane CC clubs.

Last edited:
The Mk1 Mazda "miata" MX-5 is often seen as a classic car already just becuase it is such a good car.

The Jag XF and Rover 75 will probably become classics due to being good cars and one is the last Rover and was actually better than the press said.

Many 70s cars will rise in price too, at the mo' you can buy a MINT condition BL Princess for about a grand, same with Marinas, SD1s, Hillmans etc. It used to be the same for the Cortina Mk3 but Life On Mars pushed the prices up.

See above. Chicks love folding metal roofs. I know you can get an MX-5 that has one these days, but that's just a monstrous crime and we'll say no more about it. Peugeot introduced automatic folding metal roofs to the masses in a cute super-mini package. I know there were other manufacturers doing affordable CCs at the same time, but I don't see any Renault Megane CC clubs.

in that case it should be the 206 CC since that one was really the first of the small cars with the folding roof

cliov604.jpg

+4,900 on the Clio, one day I want one imported.

I dont think these super/hyper cars people keep posting can be called future classics, nor do i think these retro styled cars can be either, they're just copying REAL classics. even in 50 years I'm not going to associate the Pagani Zonda with "classic motoring"

1995_BMW_850CSi_RT-FRONT_view-1-med.jpg
<--soon people are going to want these especially if BMW brings out a new model. future classic.

fiero.jpg
if it isn't already

Last edited:
I'd say the Merc CLS and the E65/66 BMW 7-series stand a pretty good chance to become classics. The CLS mostly for being the first successful coupe-saloon, and look what there are now, the XF, the Passat CC and all the cars influenced by the CLS's styling (Insignia etc.). The BMW will be a classic for two reasons, first it was the first car to bear the new BMW styling cues, and second, it brought a very important piece of technology to the market, the iDrive. It might've been crappy, but it was a very good idea which soon became the industry standard, so it was a remarkable invention.

The old 635 and M635, they were very well received cars and fortunately for them BMW didn't make a follow up model for another 15 years or so after the last one was made, and it was a failure. They are good cars, relatively rare now, and their prices are appreciating slowly but surely.