#gear.fi 2015

DaBoom

Worlds fastest Amish
Car(s)
Various BMWs, a Swift cabrio, Benelli TreK
So, I'll start a new thread for next year with Icetrackmeet planning.

Date for the BMW club icetrack event we went to last year has been announced. And I at least can't make it, as I don't know how to use calendar. But anyway, that would be on February 28th, when I'm at the alpine meet.. :?

There are other ice track event throughout the country, but as it's a warm winter again everyone seem to be quite tentative to put any dates down..

So, opinions?

Replying to keep an eye on the thread, now we have a date I can figure out if I can afford it :)

One date, if you go for that. I'll try to find some alternatives, which I could actually attend.

Something alternative would be awesome, so I don't have to join BMW Club Finnland :p

Replying to keep an eye on the thread, now we have a date I can figure out if I can afford it :)
Top tip: in the upper right corner of the thread there are "Thread Tools" which include "Subscribe to this Thread". ;)

Definitely interested, but with all the expenses for making my car T?V-worthy I don't know if I can do it with my car. If I can't (or don't want to) afford it, I'll wait for 2016 and fly in in 2015 as I did this year.

Top tip: in the upper right corner of the thread there are "Thread Tools" which include "Subscribe to this Thread". ;)

omfg, that is amazing! Much appreciated :-D

So..? As it goes that exact weekend is the only one I had any plans for. :D If we stick with the timeframe, which would suit people best, if we change the date&event? 20.-22.2. or 6.-8.3. While the latter one gives more time to arrange things, obviously, it's also more risky weather-wise. And I'd be flying in to that meet, as I return from the Alpine trip on Friday. :D

edit:
One place I found. Their site is only in Finnish, but I'll put it here so I don't lose it. http://www.valimaentila.com/ But to sum it up, it's a bit closer, they have room for 15 people @ 30e/person and a 1.2km track. list price is 25e/3hours/car, or 65e+ if you want to rent a track car from them.

Last edited:
For me the exact weekend isn't important since I don't need to hand in leave right away so I'm pretty flexible.

I suggest if we are going by ferry we should take the ferry to Finland on Thursday (departure 3:00h in the morning, arrival on Friday at 9:00h in the morning) and going back the following Monday 17:00h, arriving Tuesday 21:30h. Ferrying to Finland on Wednesday at 3:00h (arrival on Thursday at 9:00h) is available as well for the same price. If someone needs a place to stay around here before and after departure, you are welcome in my apartment, I have a a camp bed, a sleeping bag and some mattresses lying around. Be aware that I have two cats so you shouldn't be allergic. ;)

[edit]
I did the calculations for 3 people (probably D-Fence, loose_unit and me), that's what came out (all prices including a bed in an inboard cabin exclusively for us):

• Weekend February 20th-22nd: 264 Euros per person
  • Weekend February 27th-March 1st: 325 Euros per person

If we are 4 people (a friend of mine expressed interest as well):

• Weekend February 20th-22nd: 204 Euros per person
  • Weekend February 27th-March 1st: 274 Euros per person

The prices for the second weekend are higher since at the moment there are no "car-including-passenger-bundles" available and the prices are rising after March 1st anyway.
[/edit]

Driving to Sweden and take a shorter ferry isn't out of the equation as well, but I would prefer driving less and ferrying more.

Last edited:
I'm also out for 28th. I start an internship exchange in .de that weekend and have to show up the 28th in Mannheim, Germany. 20th to 22nd would be perfect though.

Let's go with that then, if it's alright with most people. I'll try to find some place suitable for us to hoon around in. :p

Ferrying direct from Travem?nde (or where ever you leave from in Germany) to Helsinki will allow you more time to pilsner it up. ;)

On a more serious note, any idea if it'd be possible to arrange some sort of package deal, as it were? Say for example 12 people staying two nights, with perhaps five hours of track time on Saturday* and full use of sauna for some kind of halfway decent price? I should be good for the 20th - 22nd as well.

*All numbers for example use only.

Ferrying direct from Travem?nde (or where ever you leave from in Germany) to Helsinki will allow you more time to pilsner it up. ;)

On a more serious note, any idea if it'd be possible to arrange some sort of package deal, as it were? Say for example 12 people staying two nights, with perhaps five hours of track time on Saturday* and full use of sauna for some kind of halfway decent price? I should be good for the 20th - 22nd as well.

*All numbers for example use only.

Of course we'll ask for a package deal. But first I want to know what kind of track it is. I've been on some narrow ice tracks, and it isn't (as) much fun.

I am completely unsure right now. I want to do it, but I'd like to meet some friends in Sweden on the way. HOWEVER, I cannot say anything because my job is completely unpredictable right now, depends on workload. I keep an eye on this.

I want to do it, but I'd like to meet some friends in Sweden on the way.
Remember last year? Rinse and repeat (don't forget to promise the car to a finn and then sell it to a norwegian)... :p

That is one of the issues, the fat one is not staying up there, it's place is in Munich ;)

OK guys, I have decided not to do a roadtrip but to join via plane.

Now I need some facts :p

- When? 20-22.02.?
- Where to fly to? Helsinki?
- Pickup Friday & Delivery of German to Airport Sunday evening possible?