General Anime Thread

So I've started rewatching Code Lyoko today. Not exactly Anime but close enough. I'm getting high hopes for this since I found the first two seasons rather enjoyable when I watched them years and years ago, I mean they were good enough to keep my interest this far, they've at least got something right.

Same thing happened to me as well. I have watched a few episodes of Code Lyoko years back and then the site I was downloading them from got closed down (This was before I knew the existence of torrents) and then I just let it go. But then one day I got curious and downloaded all 4 seasons

And the other thing is that if you don't mind 98% filler episodes and only 2% of episodes which are actually related to the plot, well then you will be fine :p A pretty weak ending though. And don't get your hopes that high. Its good but not that good.

I can't get myself to watch Clannad, I really really really can't.

As for Clannad well I think you should watch it. Its not like its going to make you shed tears in every episode. There are quite a few very enjoyable moments!

This Code Lyoko thing could be interesting, never heard of it, but I actually understand more French than Japanese :hmm:

Plus I haven't used any French since high school so I need an excuse to brush up.

Last edited:
This Code Lyoko thing could be interesting, never heard of it, but I actually understand more French than Japanese :hmm:

Plus I haven't used any French since high school so I need an excuse to brush up.

Watch the english dub, I vouch for the series.

As for Clannad well I think you should watch it. Its not like its going to make you shed tears in every episode. There are quite a few very enjoyable moments!

Well I've burned through 2 episodes now and I'm not depressed yet. Maybe I'm misjudging it, maybe it's sad because it's heartwarming rather than depressive.

Watch the english dub, I vouch for the series.

That would take away half the fun!

Actually I have no idea if I know enough French to understand it, I haven't heard spoken French for years, but I'm sure as hell gonna try. Would be cool to find subtitles too, so I have a backup.

I just finished FMA: Brotherhood. This is has easily made my top 10 anime series of all time, and my favorite series period in the last decade. I'm halfway thru the original FMA series now (watching in reverse order) and while I know by reputation its a good series in it's own right, its constant wandering direction of the story and overabundance of filler eps makes this series really painful to watch in comparison. I feel like I've gone from drinking Evian to rusty-flavoured tap water.

Clannad: Episode 7

Fucking Mood whiplash.

Just watched Hidan no Aria (Aria the Scarlet Ammo) ep.1. It seems like another Shana/Tsukaima clone with some Fullmetal Panic, while I loved Shana season 1, s2 when nowhere, and they are not making a s3 to finish the story, so that's a big dissapointment for me. Hidan no Aria is also based on a light novel which is also ongoing, so I know s1 definitely won't have a good ending. With that said, ep.1 is pretty funny, and I always love JC Staff's animation style.

Wikipedia still cites a source for plans for a 3rd Shana series, but it's quite old, do you have something to the contrary? That is disappointing news. I too enjoy the animation style, to the point where it makes some other studios feel outdated...

I don't have anything specifically that says it's cancelled, but it's been 3 years and there hasn't been any news.

I don't have anything specifically that says it's cancelled, but it's been 3 years and there hasn't been any news.
True, but I feel like it wasn't that long ago that the last of the S OVAs came out, and according to the source (questionably work-safe imagery), they always planned to finish S before starting the third season.

Last edited:
That's good news then, I would love to see a s3 to wrap up the Shana story.

Gutted Wren Studios have completed their excellent parody dub of the 1st ep of Gunpla Builders Beginners G

Clannad episode 9:

I'm fine. I have something in my eye, that's all. [sobs] ...I have something in my other eye. [sobbing] I have something in my heart...

It took me 6 light novels but I finally got new content from Haruhi novels.

With that said

Dear KyoAni:

Start Animating Snow mountain syndrome, while you're at it we could use a new season of your most profitable franchise (Lucky Star) from Vol.4 onwards

yours truly,

some random fan in the last corner of the internet

Browsing anime related website...
A WILD AD APPEARS!
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lu/lupin_iv/2011/05/03/jlist.jpg
AD used Confusion!
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lu/lupin_iv/2011/05/03/english_with_haruhi.jpg
It's super effective.

Last edited:
I can only assume it's intended for Japanese studying English :lol:

Ironically enough I'll learning a not insignificant amount of Japanese from anime/etc. I figure I might as well at least try to get a useful skill out of it. The written language is harder to get a grasp of just from exposure though.

Did I remember to comment on Hidan no Aria? *looks above* Guess not. It's basically exactly what I expected, well, exactly what anyone would expect from a male protagonist/Rie-Kugimiya-as-female-lead show. Still I suspect I'll keep watching.

I can only assume it's intended for Japanese studying English :lol:

Ironically enough I'll learning a not insignificant amount of Japanese from anime/etc. I figure I might as well at least try to get a useful skill out of it. The written language is harder to get a grasp of just from exposure though.

Written language in katakana & hiragana forms isn't bad, it's like a foreign alphabet, pick up a basic book from any bookstore you'll pick it up with some study.

Kanji on the otherhand...you're best off taking a real class, not just learning how to write but many many hours of wrote memorization and transcription and learning grammatically how to read it combined with kanas.