General Anime Thread

Sure, I can pretty much read katakana and hiragana though it's slow and painful. That only took a couple of hours.... but as good as I am at memorizing, there's a fucking lot of Kanji, and that's setting aside grammar. At least you start picking up on radicals, I had to change my thinking a bit as I would be confused by handwriting or different fonts just thinking of characters as static images.

Japanese is a cruel and unforgiving mistress. The only two things I can say are "Shiteiru" and "Shiranai" and of those I'm only completely certain about the definition of Shiranai.(ironically enough)

I do wish there were some proper Japanese courses over here. Alas, there isn't any.

Clannad episodes 10-14 (Yes I'm progressing at a glacial pace)
It was a good story arc. Properly good, I don't expect to be blown away by everything I watch. This arc wasn't as moving as the Fuko arc but it was still quite good. it's always nice to see charachter backstory; also and as weird as it sounds I found kotomi's Breakdown in episode 12...all too familiar for some reason. The violin performance andCameo appearance by Fuko was lulz aswell.

New series called 'Tiger and Bunny' is out, pretty awesome anime take on Superheroes, corporate sponsorship and reality TV. Think 'Mystery Men' meets any challenge reality TV series you've seen in recent years.

Also subtitled english eps are avail for free on Hulu

http://www.hulu.com/tiger-and-bunny

Obligatory revival.

After 6 months I finally read all the Haruhi books and the preview of the tenth, Brilliant, now a not unconsiderable portion of my life will be wasted waiting for KyoAni to animate them. and for someone to translate the book, split into two(Final book?) to the queen's english.

as for clannad, the ending was a complete cop-out

This is for any fans of Gundam 00 series or Gunpla building in general

midway thru my build of the 1/100 MG Exia

5749682190_c12fb13b7e_z.jpg

5749687034_e876484292_z.jpg

I actually have no idea how big a "real" gundam is. How big is that model?

"Real" Gundams average between 16-21 meters tall

This screencap gives you a rough idea of scale

setsuna00.jpg

AFA how tall my MG model is, take a guess (of course with the 'real exia' being around 19 meters tall and it's a 1/100 scale kit, you can probably estimate)

Estimate? 19 meters / 100 = 19 cm = 7.48 of those crazy American units.

That's quite a bit smaller than I imagined, those small parts would drive me crazy.

Estimate? 19 meters / 100 = 19 cm = 7.48 of those crazy American units.

That's quite a bit smaller than I imagined, those small parts would drive me crazy.

Yep, exactly, the math is easy at 1/100 scale. Anyways it looks a lot bigger because I shot with a macro lens that makes a lot of small toys/action figures and models look 'statuesque'

And yeah small parts are a pain, its easy to drop a small moving bit and lose it in the carpet. Not for the short on patience.

Very nice. Do show us pics of it when it's done.

Props to you for being able to build those, I tried once and ended up losing half the parts, since murphy hated me they were the important half of the parts.

I know you're tired of hearing the harutalk, but I found out the 10th book came out today in Japan. Nice timing, Now how long do you think it'll take to get it translated?

I actually have no idea how big a "real" gundam is. How big is that model?

There's one real life size model its of the original RX-78

http://punynari.wordpress.com/2009/06/09/assembled-life-sized-rx78-gundam-part-1/

This one is 18 meters tall.

I have so much gunpla not yet assembled...I don't even know if I'll get started with my MG The-O nor where to put it when I finish.

Last edited:
^ As much as I think the O is a badass mech in the anime, I don have much interest in owning the kit esp in MG form, I've seen the YouTube reviews, it's just too large & expensive for what you get. Since they'd designed it to 1980s aesthetics it's just a little too plain & featureless on the exterior for me despite the cool inner frame

^ As much as I think the O is a badass mech in the anime, I don have much interest in owning the kit esp in MG form, I've seen the YouTube reviews, it's just too large & expensive for what you get. Since they'd designed it to 1980s aesthetics it's just a little too plain & featureless on the exterior for me despite the cool inner frame
I realize this is a really late reply. Well I did get it at a discounted price in HK about 25% off, add that my dad took it back with him making shipping charges zero. I paid a lot less for it than I did with the MG Sazabi...and that's probably the most disappointing kit for the money I have so far, I also didn't like the RX-78 Ver Ka definitely should have got the 1.5 instead. Although the Bandai kits even with expensive ones like The-O and Sazabi are better value than the 1/100 Kotobukiya kits, being a sucker for SRW designs those are much more expensive and those ones do go out of production so I usually have to act fast on a sale I made the mistake of missing one and paid dearly for that.

Hey it could be worse you guys could be addicted to the old resin Five Star Stories kits like i am.... those things just get plain retarded...

I realize this is a really late reply. Well I did get it at a discounted price in HK about 25% off, add that my dad took it back with him making shipping charges zero. I paid a lot less for it than I did with the MG Sazabi...and that's probably the most disappointing kit for the money I have so far, I also didn't like the RX-78 Ver Ka definitely should have got the 1.5 instead. Although the Bandai kits even with expensive ones like The-O and Sazabi are better value than the 1/100 Kotobukiya kits, being a sucker for SRW designs those are much more expensive and those ones do go out of production so I usually have to act fast on a sale I made the mistake of missing one and paid dearly for that.

I've also read the MG Sazabi was hugely dissapointing...and the newer HGUC version was better proportioned and a much better articulated kit than it's larger brother. Same is the case that the PG Wing Zero Custom looked good, but was otherwise problem filled, and the newer MG version was much better made.

btw my Exia is finished.

5801639379_9327f04f84_z.jpg

and I squeezed out a Nu Gundam build HGUC scale

5802252070_52bf55a655_z.jpg

Hey it could be worse you guys could be addicted to the old resin Five Star Stories kits like i am.... those things just get plain retarded...
Gunpla is enough to empty the wallet, FSS resin kits would bankrupt me and I don't have the skills to make them look very good...although if I was a serious modeler they're must haves as I do like Nagano's designs.

Gunpla is enough to empty the wallet, FSS resin kits would bankrupt me and I don't have the skills to make them look very good...although if I was a serious modeler they're must haves as I do like Nagano's designs.

out of all the mecha models i have built over the years the Volks resin FSS kits are the best. Painful difficult and fragile but so so so beautiful. The Wave injection FSS kits are fantastic if you want some less expensive options for FSS kits.

Last edited:
Let me know when they start battling them :p

I feel like I've asked something similar before, but having watched zero Gundam, how does one get into the series? I know there are multiple universes and remakes and spinoffs...... I think compilation movies too. Basically I'd rather not go back to 1978 and watch everything since, but I don't want to jump into something modern and not have a clue what's going on.