General Anime Thread

If i'm ever lucky enough to visit japan, this is one of the things i HAVE to see.

sadly it was destroyed in the recent Tsunami/earthquake

8cf999b20a79ce2fd0d487dfa27cd447.jpg

Let me know when they start battling them :p

I feel like I've asked something similar before, but having watched zero Gundam, how does one get into the series? I know there are multiple universes and remakes and spinoffs...... I think compilation movies too. Basically I'd rather not go back to 1978 and watch everything since, but I don't want to jump into something modern and not have a clue what's going on.

It depends... if you are a fan of classic animes from the 80's and earlier than you should start with the 0079 move on to Zeta and then ZZ follow that up with Chars Counter Attack then watch the side stories like 0083 0080 and 08th MS Team. After that Seed than 00 and finally Unicorn. If however you think old anime sucks then just watch Seed and 00 since the are kind of retellings of 0079 and Zeta*. I am HUGELY biased against Alternate Centruy Gundam shows so i have no info to offer you there.

*also get off my lawn.

darth-vader-noooo.jpg

It depends... if you are a fan of classic animes from the 80's and earlier than you should start with the 0079 move on to Zeta and then ZZ follow that up with Chars Counter Attack then watch the side stories like 0083 0080 and 08th MS Team. After that Seed than 00 and finally Unicorn. If however you think old anime sucks then just watch Seed and 00 since the are kind of retellings of 0079 and Zeta*. I am HUGELY biased against Alternate Centruy Gundam shows so i have no info to offer you there.

*also get off my lawn.

I'd recommend starting with the UC 0079 as well. Actually i'd recommend staying with the UC storylines overall since i consider them to be proper classic Gundam stories. I enjoyed Seed and Zero gundam, along with Gundam Wing. But the UC is the best out of them all. Especially Zeta, words don't describe the amount of awesomeness that goes on in Zeta.

Hmm, I'm not the biggest fan of older animation styles but a good story will more than make up for it. I'll try out 0079 and see how it goes, thanks guys :)

Plus it will be nice going into the newer ones with a bit of background.

Hmm, I'm not the biggest fan of older animation styles but a good story will more than make up for it. I'll try out 0079 and see how it goes, thanks guys :)

if it gets too hard to watch then try the movies. The whole series was cut into 3 movies and you will get all the salient points. Personally i think the movies do an OK job but you certainly miss out on a lot of the drama. Movies also exist for Zeta but i will hunt you down and hit you with sticks if you try and watch those instead of the full zeta series.

And this is because I never got into comic books.

Then Again I've never gave mecha anime that much of a chance. I'll check the movies out.

And this is because I never got into comic books.

Then Again I've never gave mecha anime that much of a chance. I'll check the movies out.

I've seen three that I can think of:

Code Geass, a bit pretentious but not bad
Gurren Lagann, started off ok but got a bit absurd for my tastes towards the end
Zone of the Enders, movie was good, anime was campy, though I did enjoy the overarching story between all of the different media

There are some super robot things in the original Gundam series but in general I thought it was a very good series. Its the beginning of what's called the Universal Century series since this is the timeline these shows take place in. That said sometimes it just takes one of those series to draw you in...I mean I got drawn into Gundam because of F-91 which was mediocre among the UC series but that paved the way. Technically you can watch 0080, 08th MS team and 0083(I didn't like this one) after watching the original Gundam since they draw on the universe set by the original. Gundam F-91 which I saw first, doesn't follow any of the UC series since its 30 years after Char's Counterattack so no Amuro and Char, but F-91 is thin on content. V Gundam is the only full series that is in this universe and takes place 30 years after F-91 and can be watched on its own.

You can watch the Alternate Universe Gundam stories the first being G Gundam which is what Gundam would be if it were a super robot show neat cross since I find super robot shows amusing. Wing comes next which is the most well known...I didn't like it very much. Gundam X, sort of a alternate UC but it got cut so its ending was a bit rushed. Turn A Gundam is my personal choice of the AU series although some people can't seem to stomach a Gundam designed by an American(Syd Mead), I rather liked the story. SEED is probably the next most well known other than Wing where they attempt to try a modern UC, I found the story weak in SEED and a lot of characters to hate. A problem with SEED's writing I think is quite a bit was done by the director's wife...who's not a good writer. SEED Destiny...I thought was rubbish, all the flaws of SEED plus more, director's wife had even more input where apparently some of the staff wrote on their blogs about it...only to take them down shortly after. Gundam 00...much better than SEED, this is my second choice of the AU Gundam series it sort of mixes real world modern politics into a Gundam story.

That pic isn't accurate, the 'post earthquake' photo was a much OLDER photo taken during an assembly/assembly mishap. I saw the link with the original photo when that was taken. The statue is still intact. Whoever created the above pic was just trolling Gundam fans.

Don't watch the original series, just watch the compiled movie trilogy instead. The reason is when Tomino was getting sponsorship to produce the original MSG tv series, he had to suck up to toy sponsors and was riding the era of the colorful 'Super robots anime' like Mazinger Z and Voltron, therefore even tho it was among the first of the 'real robot' shows, many of the mecha were just plain stupid and ugly and meant solely to sell plastic kits and toy merchandise. Tomino hated it but had to do it to get the show made. Once the series was cancelled/ended, it received a lot of late fan interest a la Firefly and then Tomino scammed his way into getting a movie studio to fund and create his Movie Trilogy which he declared was the 'true creators vision' of the original MSG storyline. A lot of key animation was redone, a ton of goofy/cartoony crap was cut out and basically the core story was told in the movies without any filler. You can watch the original MSG tv series for history's sake, but its old, silly and painful. Just watch the movie trilogy which is easily available on netflix/DVD and then move onto the later series. You get the important bits without having to put up with the silly 70s super robot bits.

After that watch Zeta Gundam, the series, very deep, serious, political, a lot of cool mecha, but the animation is a bit older and rough too, but a fantastic story thru n thru. Gundam ZZ, you can't find in the US anyway and are better off reading summaries on wiki to catch up. Gundam Char's Counterattack shouldn't be watched until you see the original film trilogy and Zeta. Gundam 0080 and 0083 side story OVAs don't need to be seen but are good in their own right.

I found the story weak in SEED and a lot of characters to hate. A problem with SEED's writing I think is quite a bit was done by the director's wife...who's not a good writer. SEED Destiny...I thought was rubbish, all the flaws of SEED plus more, director's wife had even more input where apparently some of the staff wrote on their blogs about it...only to take them down shortly after. Gundam 00...much better than SEED, this is my second choice of the AU Gundam series it sort of mixes real world modern politics into a Gundam story.

I agree with you about the Seed Franchise, it took the elements from the original UC storyline and gave it a bit of 'Extreme Mtn Dew' flash with an overabundance of angsty teen drama and overly moe character designs. Didn't help the writing was a bit weak like you said and GSD was terrible. Especially as that story starts off on a interesting note, and then drops every ball that could have turned the story into a great one, and the writers either didn't know what they were doing or lost control of the plot and somehow let the main character get relegated into a 'loser villain' type background character and the show gets hijacked by the cast of the previous series.

With the Gundam 00 series. I quite liked it. Fans will love or hate that show for many reasons, but after the bad taste left in my mouth from the Seed Franchise ( I recently rewatched Seed and like it even less now), Gundam 00 was the best possible followup to help ppl forget about Seed. However 00 is a bit fantastic and over the top in many ways and while it was handled well from start to finish IMHO, I think the next series needs to play things in a different direction.

and for god sake, no more 'every major cast character piloting a Gundam' garbage. That crap started with Wing and the Seed franchise took it too far. 00 was almost as bad. I know why Bandai does it, it helps push toys.

Last edited:
Speaking of Gundams does anyone know of a fansub for Gundam Unicorn Ep3? i have the dual audio blue ray rip but it didn't come with subs and the english dub is while not unlistenable not exactly cowboy bebop material.

Speaking of Gundams does anyone know of a fansub for Gundam Unicorn Ep3? i have the dual audio blue ray rip but it didn't come with subs and the english dub is while not unlistenable not exactly cowboy bebop material.

i've been using BSS Fansubs for getting my Gundam Unicorn fix. they did a good job with episodes 1 & 2, not seen their episode 3 yet.

and for god sake, no more 'every major cast character piloting a Gundam' garbage. That crap started with Wing and the Seed franchise took it too far. 00 was almost as bad. I know why Bandai does it, it helps push toys.

That actually started with G Gundam, the idea that every single character got a Gundam of some sort and the idea of enemy Gundams as the main villians. Fortunately the director, Imagawa actually decided to put a story in G Gundam since from what he was told by Bandai was to just do the Gundam tournament for 49 whole episodes which would certainly be very boring. The Devil Gundam concept was Imagawa's idea and the most interesting part of the whole series. Gundam models do sell better than the Zaku or GM models so I can understand why Bandai always pushes this. I'd gladly have more non Gundam models if more were available particularly GMs or Feddie grunts(I'd really love a MG Jegan for instance).

That actually started with G Gundam, the idea that every single character got a Gundam of some sort and the idea of enemy Gundams as the main villians. Fortunately the director, Imagawa actually decided to put a story in G Gundam since from what he was told by Bandai was to just do the Gundam tournament for 49 whole episodes which would certainly be very boring. The Devil Gundam concept was Imagawa's idea and the most interesting part of the whole series. Gundam models do sell better than the Zaku or GM models so I can understand why Bandai always pushes this. I'd gladly have more non Gundam models if more were available particularly GMs or Feddie grunts(I'd really love a MG Jegan for instance).

Yep, I always keep getting mixed up if Wing or G came right after V Gundam, keep forgetting and getting it wrong. Just edit what I said and replace 'Wing' with G.

Anyways you hear the formal announcement on the new series Gundam AGE? It looks pretty confirmed to be aimed mainly towards the Yu-Gi-Oh and Naruto kids crowd. A lot of the Gundam fans online are up in total nerd/troll rage over that right now but I don't really care, we've had quite a few mature themed gundam series for a while and still getting Unicorn which I think is a total treat for older, serious fans. Bandai needs to reel in fresh new blood into the franchise because they can't live off of the wallets of 40 year nerds living with their parents forever.

http://0taku.livedoor.biz/archives/3789132.html, scroll down to see artwork of characters and title Gundam

Yep, I always keep getting mixed up if Wing or G came right after V Gundam, keep forgetting and getting it wrong. Just edit what I said and replace 'Wing' with G.

Anyways you hear the formal announcement on the new series Gundam AGE? It looks pretty confirmed to be aimed mainly towards the Yu-Gi-Oh and Naruto kids crowd. A lot of the Gundam fans online are up in total nerd/troll rage over that right now but I don't really care, we've had quite a few mature themed gundam series for a while and still getting Unicorn which I think is a total treat for older, serious fans. Bandai needs to reel in fresh new blood into the franchise because they can't live off of the wallets of 40 year nerds living with their parents forever.

http://0taku.livedoor.biz/archives/3789132.html, scroll down to see artwork of characters and title Gundam
I give any new Gundam series an chance. To be honest the hardcore UC fans never liked any AU series not even Turn A Gundam the closest AU series to what any UC fan should be able to accept. The character designs...seem familiar they look an awful like the ones from SD Gundam Eiyuuden. I noticed they have a Jamil Neate look-a-like and what looks like a young Sayla.

Been watching Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

pretty interesting show. good animation. good characters. rather convoluted plot. one character drives a Ferrari F40

Well due to my "watching all animes from FG avatars" problem I now watch K-On and Nichijou. Am pleased with both but I still want more Lucky Star than the world can supply.

In "plot-less anime that is awful but I enjoy" news I watched the Highschool of the Dead OVA and enjoyed it immensely. Although from what I gather I was supposed to be vigorously masturbating to it rather than crying with laughter, but whatever.
I find it quite funny the internet is full of people who are all "Ugh, why all the tits and lack of plot continuation?" whom I can only imagine haven't seen the rest of the series or read the manga... :lol:
(Or seen the previews of the damn thing, or read the plot summary of "They all go to beach, get undressed and get high" before watching it)

*Me looks at Cpt.70's posts, puts face similar to avvy's
Sorry.

as for Lucky star, we need KyoAni to start animating the rest of the manga volumes, IIRC there's like 7 or so and they animated 4, however the story now focuses more on the B-Plot characters since the 4 main have all gone to different universities. I think only Konata and Misao end up on the same uni

Last edited:
Well due to my "watching all animes from FG avatars" problem I now watch K-On and Nichijou. Am pleased with both but I still want more Lucky Star than the world can supply.

In "plot-less anime that is awful but I enjoy" news I watched the Highschool of the Dead OVA and enjoyed it immensely. Although from what I gather I was supposed to be vigorously masturbating to it rather than crying with laughter, but whatever.
I find it quite funny the internet is full of people who are all "Ugh, why all the tits and lack of plot continuation?" whom I can only imagine haven't seen the rest of the series or read the manga... :lol:
(Or seen the previews of the damn thing, or read the plot summary of "They all go to beach, get undressed and get high" before watching it)

That's exactly how I got introduced to K-ON (Final Daihatsu). He also did one of Azumanga Daioh which it sounds like you might enjoy. Looks like Nichijou is next for me.

Hidan no Aria was mentioned a while ago and I watched an ep or two but now I'm getting caught up. It feels like they rushed/compressed it a bit to get it into one season, or else there's just not much exposition. Also Aria has a complete split personality, Rie Kugimiya went a bit too far with the stereotype.

Most of my anime list consists of animes mentioned here :p Speaking of which I finally finished watching Aria. (I couldn't finish watching Origination the first time I downloaded it due to my HDD failure and I just didn't bother to download it again. :p) Old Akaris hair looks weird..

Also finished Rozen Maiden which I started to watch a long time ago and then kinda lost interest. Although it kinda left me with few questions unanswered.

Started and finished watching Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?. I liked it! Lots of comedy and bit of seriousness.

Also finished watching Yumekui Merry. Liked that as well! And really like the Op and Ed songs..

I stumbled upon Sketchbook a while back but couldn't get into it that much because it was extremely laid back (I only watched half of the first episode though) same with Nichijou and A-Channel. Might give another try later..