German car mag: Audi R8 vs. Corvette C6 shootout - Vette wins!

^ No it isn't.
The new C6 is terrific!
Never really liked the R8. Goes round the ring in the same time as a E92 M3, I'll just take that one, please...

i love the way it looks and i love the engineering that goes in to it. having seen one in real life its got so many little details, i could spend ages just looking at it.

however, putting the 4.2 from the RS4 in the back just wasnt the brightest idea ever. its just not good enough an engine for the car

What do you think of the above review then?

Well, I haven't read the original version but from your translation this sentence seems to be the crunchpoint:

"When the Audi trumps with perfect build quality, noble leather, cool metal and close-locking switches, the Corvette saves itself with a sensational price performance ratio."

In other words: The Corvette only wins because it's cheaper. The true verdict is hidden beneath superficial praise: The Corvette is only good for its price but not good, full stop.

At least that is how I interpret that review. They do not really go into detail anyway to take any really useful information from it, instead are filling the lines with whitty remarks and verbal acrobatics.

however, putting the 4.2 from the RS4 in the back just wasnt the brightest idea ever. its just not good enough an engine for the car
I think it was originally planned for the V10, and as we know, it's on the way. I just wonder how much that'll come for.

The R8 was set up against the Porsche 911, not against the Corvette.

Did you know that since Porsche owns a big part of Volkswagen, they are trying to influence the price politics of Audi behind the scenes, because Audi is in some areas a direct competitor for Porsche? Porsche wants Audis become more expensive, especially the Q7, since it seems to be effecting the Cayenne sales :D

wow, they were almost a full second off the 0-60 for the vette (4.9?)

Good read otherwise, lol

The R8 was set up against the Porsche 911, not against the Corvette.

Did you know that since Porsche owns a big part of Volkswagen, they are trying to influence the price politics of Audi behind the scenes, because Audi is in some areas a direct competitor for Porsche? Porsche wants Audis become more expensive, especially the Q7, since it seems to be effecting the Cayenne sales :D
Nice, but no answer to my question. :)
wow, they were almost a full second off the 0-60 for the vette (4.9?)
Has the C6 actually done a quicker 0-62 then? I always found US figures to be a bit too "optimistic".

EDIT: I looked up the times of AutoTest (the ones with the Supertest on the Nordschleife), they did a 0-62 in 4.5 secs.

Last edited:
Nice, but no answer to my question. :)
Has the C6 actually done a quicker 0-62 then? I always found US figures to be a bit too "optimistic".

EDIT: I looked up the times of AutoTest (the ones with the Supertest on the Nordschleife), they did a 0-62 in 4.5 secs.

A swedish magazine did the 0-100kph in 4,3 sec. But they took it to a prepared dragstrip with perfect conditions...

thedguy, what do you think of Danica's review of the ZO6? She called it "slow" :|
http://youtube.com/watch?v=weB8S0EA0WU

Like many Americans she says "uhhh" way to god damned often (and I'm no exception). This is why I hate car reviews done without a script by someone who is a bit nervous to be doing the job.

It's not a horrible review, at least towards the end where she starts to talk about the chassis and backs off on the "uhhh" and "like" every 4 words.

Wow she calls it slow, then again I suppose after you race Indi and F1 anything is slow :)

Neither Vette nor R8 are cars that fit my needs as a daily driver (want 4 doors and a good usable boot) so putting that out of the way, a 2 door sports car would be my weekend and evenings out car.

Vettes are common and nothing special around here, and driving around on the roads, the performance edge the vette has over the R8 is irrelevant, esp as i probably won't be doing much track driving nor do i have the talents of a racing driver to take full advantage of its performance potential. Plus i don't drag race, which i think is for douchebags.

So i'd pick the R8 for good power, great handling, a much more interesting and unique car then the vette....and the Audi interior is a hell of a lot better place to sit in than the Vettes (still feels like a GM interior).

From a debate standpoint. the vette may be a better car, but i'd rather take the R8 any day.

To further this arguement i could care less about the vastly superior performance/power/speed of the Z06 and ZR1 because that's power i'm never going to use 99.9% of the time except to show off like some idiot at a stop light.

:thumbsup: Shall we agree to disagree and do something the internet has never seen before?

Works for me.

Yep, Torrent Rider hasn't posted here yet :).

Generally these debates are pretty civil until the trolls come in.

Agreed.

thedguy, what do you think of Danica's review of the ZO6? She called it "slow" :|
http://youtube.com/watch?v=weB8S0EA0WU

She's an idiot, full stop. Even though I may not prefer the Corvette over much--I know the ZO6 is most certainly not slow and "weak" as she called it. Not enough low end torque? What, is she mad? That review was god awful, and the only reason why she's famous is BECAUSE its a she. I'd rather hear a review from someone who knows roadcars.

Like many Americans she says "uhhh" way to god damned often (and I'm no exception). This is why I hate car reviews done without a script by someone who is a bit nervous to be doing the job.

It's not a horrible review, at least towards the end where she starts to talk about the chassis and backs off on the "uhhh" and "like" every 4 words.

+1 Drives me up the wall too. :lol:

Neither Vette nor R8 are cars that fit my needs as a daily driver (want 4 doors and a good usable boot) so putting that out of the way, a 2 door sports car would be my weekend and evenings out car.

Vettes are common and nothing special around here, and driving around on the roads, the performance edge the vette has over the R8 is irrelevant, esp as i probably won't be doing much track driving nor do i have the talents of a racing driver to take full advantage of its performance potential. Plus i don't drag race, which i think is for douchebags.

So i'd pick the R8 for good power, great handling, a much more interesting and unique car then the vette....and the Audi interior is a hell of a lot better place to sit in than the Vettes (still feels like a GM interior).

From a debate standpoint. the vette may be a better car, but i'd rather take the R8 any day.

To further this arguement i could care less about the vastly superior performance/power/speed of the Z06 and ZR1 because that's power i'm never going to use 99.9% of the time except to show off like some idiot at a stop light.
You're making good points, but you're ignoring the very reason why the reviewer preferred the Vette over the R8 in the first place: the very significant price difference.

You're making good points, but you're ignoring the very reason why the reviewer preferred the Vette over the R8 in the first place: the very significant price difference.

Yes, and that is a poisoned victory. Did you read my comments above now? :)

if someone wants to buy a vette AND save money at the same time, but value for money is not enough to make me buy a car i don't want.

Yeah I suspect with those cars price is not really the biggest selling point, though it is quite hard to beat the Vette in crazy ass car for money category.

You can do anything with enough money. Bugatti Veyron? Sure, anyone could build it, even Hyundai, if they're willing to dump tons of money into the project.

Yes, and that is a poisoned victory. Did you read my comments above now? :)
You're referring to the "R8 pointed at the 911" one, right? Well, I agree, but then again, it has to be possible to compare two cars that are both proper two seater sportscars and have roughly the same horsepower. Even though they were aimed at different markets and competitors, they both are available for me here and now, so the question of how they compare is absolutely valid in my eyes.

if someone wants to buy a vette AND save money at the same time, but value for money is not enough to make me buy a car i don't want.
And that's fine. Noone has to perfer a Vette over an R8 just because of this test. But one should be aware that just because the Chevy isn't as modern in the detail, it doesn't mean its a bad car.