German Court to Free Woman That Killed US Soldier

I'm sorry but in my opinion taking an innocent life no longer qualifies you as a human being. They are people with skewered views of reality, society and people.

Either they don't qualify as a human being or they are people. Pick one, they contradict each other.

I could care less

Some just deserve to die. It makes little difference if they have become peaceful/regretful/remorseful/charitable. They could be helping the poor and taking care of sick children, it does not matter. They will pay for what they did and they will pay with their life.

That's the essence of the US justice system. Revenge. An eye for an eye. Old testament stuff. The Baby Jesus would be sad.

I could care less if they changed or not during their time in prison. Some just deserve to die.

And I suppose you think you're the one to decide about that, right? Without even knowing them, without having spoken to them, without even knowing exactly what they've done and why.

You are ready to sentence a person to death, just because you read 10 lines of text or so about it on the internet. That's enough information for you to be judge and jury in one person. No trial needed.

:rolleyes:

And you seriously wonder, why many of us Europeans have such an ambivalent relation to the USA? Well, you just gave a prime example why. It's not only the simplicity of your thinking, it's the way you present it without even realizing, how ridiculous it makes you look.

Not that you'll probably care. But that's exactly part of the problem and you admit it yourself: You don't care.

Last edited:
Jetsetter, what are your feelings towards those killed by the government(s) of your nation despite actually being innocent?

Because I know that I'm completely shuttered to think about every single person who spends a single day in prison despite being innocent. So your sole must be very black with sorrow for the dead. Very black indeed.

Isn't it remarkable how the smallest minds always have the biggest God complexes?

Calvin, that was uncalled for. And if it wasn't, it was too soft.

:p

And I suppose you think you're the one to decide about that, right? Without even knowing them, without having spoken to them, without even knowing exactly what they've done and why.

You are ready to sentence a person to death, just because you read 10 lines of text or so about it on the internet. That's enough information for you to be judge and jury in one person. No trial needed.

:rolleyes:

Whatever you opinion of his thoughts, this is an uncalled for response. You are putting words in his mouth. Never did he say anything of such.

Whatever you opinion of his thoughts, this is an uncalled for response. You are putting words in his mouth. Never did he say anything of such.
If you bleat on and on about how some people "deserve" to live or to die, you're doing exactly what MacGuffin said he was doing: passing judgement. It may have no consequences, but it's still judgement.

Well, one point is after all that this Lady was convicted of murder.

So he is not passing judgement on the guilt or innocence of the Lady, just the seriousness of the act she has been convicted of.

I think we made the point that we (Europeans) don't just execute anybody who's done something we don't like. And that some of the comments are, honestly, disgusting, simplistic and emotionally driven for civilized people. Most of all, I find it deeply disappointing.
Maybe if this wasn't the Internet, the other side's stated opinions would be somewhat more reasonable. Maybe not, but nobody's ever said anything like that to my face.

Unless something new comes along, I'm done with this argument.

I've debated capital punishment with less grace face to face with real life Norwegians, so I'm not sure about that.

Well, one point is after all that this Lady was convicted of murder.

So he is not passing judgement on the guilt or innocence of the Lady, just the seriousness of the act she has been convicted of.
He is passing judgement on whether or not she and many, many others deserve to live, without ever having met them or talked to them, let alone familiarised himself with the detailed circumstances of their crimes. That's pretty crass.

I'm not disputing that. But I think Jetsetter would think the same of any first degree murder.

Maybe.

But I can only respond to the words he wrote, not to his mindset. And that's what I did. So far no contradiction from him.

As a wise man once said: "If someone says something stupid, tell them so. They might continue saying stupid things but at least the truth is where it needs to be".

Last edited:
Ah, OK... I had got a bit lost there.

That's precisely the problem I have with the "Off with their heads!" mindset. There's no distinction made and there's more judgement going around than could fit in a WBC assembly.
Yeah, isn't that long since the brits did much the same. Murder was murder, and those convicted were hanged.

just know that I (and a lot of my fellow Germans and Europeans) look upon the System of capitol punishment in a lot of US-States with disgust. I?d rather have some people potentially walk the streets too early again than have the american way of justice.

What that really comes down to is the mindset of your society as a whole. Germans and Europeans are very different from Americans. For political reasons (and the price of gas), I could not live in Europe. As we all know, there are people who feel the exact opposite, and couldn't live here. I can respect that, as they should my views.

An absolutely excellent example in differences is also a very recent one, the terrible fate that has befallen Japan. When everything went wrong there, people calmly stood in a line for hours on end for food, clothes, etc. while over here, there is a sizable chunk of the population that in the same situation would be out looting for hours on end. It's pathetic and disgusting, but that just goes to show difference in culture.

More to the point, capital punishment is something that will show the difference in culture as well. Personally, as a Christian (Catholic), I think capital punishment has it's place in our society. However, I can totally see why others would disagree. There are certain people that are just too much of a danger to society to be let out. Sometimes, rotting in prison just isn't enough. The way I see it, in most cases it should be like this: Kill once, 25 years at the least. Kill twice, you kiss your freedom goodbye forever. You either rot in your cell, or depending upon severity, your life = over. That's another thing, lethal injection is too expensive. Bullets, on the other hand, are very cheap.

Would you really want a serial rapist/killer walking the streets? Sociopaths and manipulative people can easily get past the "I swear I'm no longer a danger to society" test.

Not that you'll probably care. But that's exactly part of the problem and you admit it yourself: You don't care.

On the contrary, he does care. He said "I could care less," which means he cares now. (I never understand how people can get that wrong so often)

Last edited:
Let me put it another way. I would not take into consideration any peaceful/regretful/remorseful/charitable acts they performed after committing murder with respect to their punishment. They could become saintly and I would still advocate the death penalty. Murder was committed and they will pay, no matter what.

On the contrary, he does care. He said "I could care less," which means he cares now. (I never understand how people can get that wrong so often)

That's not what he meant. Look at the context.

And watch the video narf posted :)

That's not what he meant. Look at the context.

And watch the video narf posted :)

I could not care less. Better? I suggest moving on from the grammar mistake.