Germans! Help needed

_dexter_

Car(s)
Lolvo V40
Hi all!

I hope there's someone who can advise me wisely about the following:

I need to get from Stuttgart airport to Allianz arena in Munich as fast as possible on Saturday afternoon. How long will it take and what mean of transport should I use? Rent a car or train?

Thank you in advance :)

Train is an option, not too difficult (Stuttgart airport -> Stuttgart main station -> Munich main station -> Allianz Arena, should be no more steps), not sure about the financial part. Rental is an option too, but is most likely connected with some short-distance train or taxi in Munich from the nearest rental-dropoff to the Allianz Arena. If its a roundtrip, rental may be the better option in general. Car should be, but is not neccessarily faster, heavily depending on luck with traffic. Also parking at the AA is supposedly a bitch and will on a gameday take a while, and from what I've heard, will take ages to get out of again, making train overall the more reasonable option.

Let me look up the train connection real quick..

Assuming you want to get to a game that starts say 6pm, you would need to leave the airport by train shortly after noon, in order to arrive at the AA between 4 and 5pm, later trains get you there past 6pm.

Not sure if Bahn-links work properly when copied, but if so, this would be the connection and pricing for next saturday, local Munich-trains excluded (~5er ontop for a day-ticket):
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu...arture&HWAI=JS!ajax=yes!&REQ0HafasScrollDir=2

So about 35-45 EUR one-way for a train ticket, ~4hrs time, 70-80 for the roundtrip. A one-day-rental with fuel is probably clocking in at the same plus fuel, should get you there within 2-2.5hrs though, except traffic on the way or on site strikes.

Last edited:
You also need to add 10? for parking at the AA... together with a day's rental (65?ish per day, unless Croatian rapecharge applies) and fuel (35?ish if you're getting a small diesel) you're looking at about 110? to go by car.
thomas' time assessment is spot-on, 2.5h is realistic without traffic nightmares or mad parking chaos... so the train is certainly going to be slower. As for train pricing, a word of warning - the cheap tickets listed (29?, 39?, etc. - "Sparangebote") require you to select one specific connection in advance. Take a train earlier or later? Need to buy a new ticket / pay a fee. Those cheap tickets are great if your travel times are fixed in advance and you can adjust your day according to the train schedule. If you need flexibility, the train pricing will be roughly on par with the rental all-in.

Do you already know the times of each trip?

Train is an option, not too difficult (Stuttgart airport -> Stuttgart main station -> Munich main station -> Allianz Arena, should be no more steps), not sure about the financial part. Rental is an option too, but is most likely connected with some short-distance train or taxi in Munich from the nearest rental-dropoff to the Allianz Arena. If its a roundtrip, rental may be the better option in general. Car should be, but is not neccessarily faster, heavily depending on luck with traffic. Also parking at the AA is supposedly a bitch and will on a gameday take a while, and from what I've heard, will take ages to get out of again, making train overall the more reasonable option.

Let me look up the train connection real quick..

Assuming you want to get to a game that starts say 6pm, you would need to leave the airport by train shortly after noon, in order to arrive at the AA between 4 and 5pm, later trains get you there past 6pm.

Not sure if Bahn-links work properly when copied, but if so, this would be the connection and pricing for next saturday, local Munich-trains excluded (~5er ontop for a day-ticket):
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu...arture&HWAI=JS!ajax=yes!&REQ0HafasScrollDir=2

So about 35-45 EUR one-way for a train ticket, ~4hrs time, 70-80 for the roundtrip. A one-day-rental with fuel is probably clocking in at the same plus fuel, should get you there within 2-2.5hrs though, except traffic on the way or on site strikes.

Thank you for your reply!
Trip would be one way so I'd return car at rental in Munich before the game and than take U bahn. Game stars at 18:30 but I figure I should be there around 17:00 in order to pick up the tickets..

Regarding train option this seems reasonable:
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu...CID=C2-2&showAvail=yes&completeFulfillment=1&

But how reliable are DB? What I've seen in your BMW topic makes me wonder :D

- - - Updated - - -

@ Narf: Trip would be on March 15, game starts at 18:30. I'll be visiting Retro classics fair in Stuttgart so I'd like to stay there as long as possible. That's why leaving in the morning is out of question.

Well yeah... Bahn and reliability.. I think right now its not too bad, no snow-chaos, no extrem heat... should be fine. Also if they cancel a train, even those cheap trainbound tickets will be rebooked on a different train, as you know from my thread ;). The selected train should do just fine.

For a one-way trip, the train will be cheaper by a LOT. The amount you save in fuel for not going back will be entirely spent on the one-way fee assrape. The train trip will obviously only cost half as much.

Considering time, going one-way doubles the rental hassle per trip so the train doesn't look too bad on time either.

As for reliability, the train is going to be a lot more punctual than a car. Sure, things can always go wrong... but that's true for both choices.

The EC connection you linked looks best for the time frame :nod: You can book the 29? price in advance, just make sure you really do take that specific train. That plus a few ? for the subway in Munich and you're paying a third-ish of getting a rental.

Edit: A note on the train, there's some construction going on so expect to be in Munich Central 5-15 minutes later than scheduled.

Last edited:
As for reliability, the train is going to be a lot more punctual than a car. Sure, things can always go wrong... but that's true for both choices.

Yeah.. somehow the "always" seems to be too literal every time I am using a damn train.. :p

Yeah.. somehow the "always" seems to be too literal every time I am using a damn train.. :p

Sure, that's your karma :p

I've spent way too much of the past year aboard ICEs, and - ignoring scheduled disturbances of the force due to construction - there rarely was real trouble. Sure, if the roads are clear a car is faster... but that's never the case when you need it :(

Thanks you two! I think I have all informations I needed :heart:

I need to get from Stuttgart airport to Allianz arena in Munich as fast as possible on Saturday afternoon.
As your attorney, I advise you to rent a very fast car with no top. And you'll need the cocaine. Tape recorder for special music. Acapulco shirts.

I think you should try to have the arrival at Munich Central Station scheduled at about 17:00 latest to allow for delays. So yeah, the EC 219 train leaving Stuttgart Central at 13:58 is the reasonable choice, leaving you with enough reserves (in particular: the ICE 597 leaving at 15:12 and arriving in Munich at 17:28) in case your train gets cancelled or something.

As your attorney, I advise you to rent a very fast car with no top. And you'll need the cocaine. Tape recorder for special music. Acapulco shirts.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: