Germany may crack down on paintball and laser tag

swek

Retired Moderator
Car(s)
Had a bicycle once.
TIGHTENING WEAPONS LAWS Germany May Seek Ban on Paintball By J?rg Diehl, Annett Meiritz and Zacharias Zacharakis
In response to the Winnenden school shooting in March, the German government is moving ahead with a plan to ban paintball, which politicians describe as a game that glorifies murder and teaches people to kill.

Two months after the deadly school shooting in the southern German town of Winnenden, the German government is planning to ban paintball. The tragic March event saw a young man named Tim K. shoot 15 people before turning his gun on himself. According to reports in the Berliner Zeitung and Neue Osnabr?cker Zeitung newspapers on Friday, games like paint ball and laser tag are to be banned in Germany in the future, and people who violate the law could be fined up to ?5,000. "These games simulate murder," Wolfgang Bosbach, who heads the conservative Christian Democrats (CDU) in the German parliament, told the Neue Osnabr?cker Zeitung. He said a deal had also been reached with German Interior Minister Wolfgang Sch?uble. The German Paintball League claims about 1,000 people in the country are active in the sport and there are more than 200 facilities where it is played. The organization has sought for years to portray the sport as a safe one. At tournaments, players even eschew red paint because of its optical similarities to blood and the guns used in the sport are referred to as "markers." The head of the league said he was surprised by the plan to ban what he called a "tactical team sport." But "during an election campaign," he said, "politicians are always looking for a fall guy."

Supporters of the ban argue that the shooting of paint cartridges at speeds of up to 60 meters per second, reduce a person's inhibition to committing real crimes. "There's a risk that these so-called games will play down the danger of violence and that it will erode barriers to committing violence," said Dieter Wiefelsp?tz, the domestic policy point man in parliament for the center-left Social Democrats (SPD). The government has been under pressure to act since the mass killings two months ago. A German Interior Ministry spokesman said Thursday that the government hoped to pass new weapons control legislation before the end of the current term. A political agreement is expected next week and legislation would have to be introduced by the end of May in order for it to be voted on in both of Germany's federal legislative chambers before the summer break in July.

"Teaching People to Kill"

The interior minister of the eastern German state of Saxony-Anhalt, Holger H?lvelmann, welcomed the government's plans. He argued that the game was tantamount to "teaching people to kill" or "playing war." "Our society," he said, "should outlaw such cynical games that glorify violence."
Meanwhile, Claudia Roth, the chairwoman of the Green Party, described the proposed tightening of weapons laws as a "courage-less concession to the gun lobby." Instead of banning large calibre guns in general, the coalition government has only managed to agree on a token ban on paintball." By doing so, she said, "the coalition is tightening weapons laws in areas that are the least painful to the gun lobby." Her party's legal affairs expert, Jerzy Montag, said that while he is no fan of such games ("Do you really need to shoot paint at other people?"), he didn't see any advantage in banning them. "The real issue is the millions of guns kept in peoples homes and at sporting clubs," he told SPIEGEL ONLINE. During the debate over Tim K., his passion for paintball was much-discussed. But it was soft-air guns that were found in his bedroom. They can also be used to shoot paint-filled pellets, but they are far more similar to actual weapons than paint guns.
The debate over paintball is not new. The German company "Mydays.de," markets paintball as the "ultimate nerve game and the latest sporting trend." But again and again, paintball makes the headlines because it is played at events in Europe held by right-wing extremists or military freaks. In 2007, photos circulated of the head of Austria's right-wing FP? party, Heinz-Christian Strache, playing paintball in uniform with a group of right-wing extremists. Press reports spoke of Wehrmacht-like exercises, a reference to Hitler's military, but Strache played the event down, saying he had just been playing paintball.

Childish, maybe. But criminal? No.

Konrad Freiberg, chairman of the Germany police union GdP, said he doesn't think much of banning simulated fighting games. "People may consider this type of extracurricular activity childish or dumb, but I would dare to doubt that it has any criminological connection to serious crimes," he told SPIEGEL ONLINE. For his part, Rainer Wendt, the head of the German Police Union (DPolG), says it would be difficult to implement the plans. "Politicians are the only people who think they can alter reality by filling up so much paper," he told SPIEGEL ONLINE. He said a ban would make no sense if it could not be enforced. "It has to be made clear to everyone that police in Germany have no time to go out chasing paintball players in forests and fields. "Paintball fans have also up in arms over the plan. "In my opinion, it's just a fun sport that anyone can play, " said Ramona Ruth of Berlin, who opened a paintball field in the town of Angerm?nde just one month ago. "Twenty to 30 percent of the people who come to us are women."
She said politicians also like to play. Recently, she claims, a group of politicians from the CDU played paintball at her facility.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,623518,00.html

If you ask me once again an administration overreacts after a school shooting. I don't think this will ever make it into legislation but it nicely demonstrates the mindstate of some people who deem things they don't understand "a danger to society". Furthermore it shows the willingness to outlaw things simply on reasons of percieved danger, real or not.

Last edited:
I think this kind of facepalm would better actually:
bitchslap.jpg

They've outdone even my nation in terms of nannyness here.

And what the hell kind of name is Zacharias Zacharakis?

Last edited:
I already wait for the inevitable shallow talk show discussions, where a group of so-called experts and some boring politicians basically say nothing of substance, because if the discussion became too dedicated, future celebrity guests might be scared off.

It's so revolting.

Last edited:
Germany might also invent Silly Hat Friday, a law that says silly hats must be worn by all office employees on Fridays. Sillyness will be ensured by committees, judging hat vendor companies, who will supply the hats. (Paid for with ministry of culture money). Employees of hat vendor companies are expected to wear extra silly hats, seeing as they can cherry-pick the hats available. If they select hats that are considered less silly than usual, their employers will be fined 150 Euro for each underdressed employee.

Sometimes I think people on this forum don't understand what the words 'may' and 'might' mean.

B I Z A R R E!!!!!!!!

That should have been a UK government trick - we are falling behind it the utter stupidity of government league tables - quick think of something utterly and completely stupid Gordo B. ...

This beats guerning into a youtube web cam hands down.

Well... i really don't have a proper comment for this.

I'm just wondering if the Dutch government will ban cars because someone attempted to drive over the queen.

This, coming from the people who caused World War II?!?!?!?

I felt a war comment needed to be thrown in. sorry if it offends.

Sometimes I think people on this forum don't understand what the words 'may' and 'might' mean.
I think you may want to get informed on the kind of obvious stupidities made into law in recent years by German government. Our home secretary's main hobby is to cut basic rights for what he believes is security. Making paintball illegal would fit right in. It's "symbol politics" at its best. Although every law in this country is likely to be "softened" somewhere in the process, there's plenty of reason to worry or even be scared.

In just a few weeks, Germany parliament will pass a new law to enable censorship of the Internet, too. Well, a censorship nearly everyone, especially the people it's targeted at, knows how to circumvent, but it's the thought that counts. The technique that will be used for that censorship is designed so badly it offers endless possibilites to implicate completely innocent people as pedophiles via computer viruses, false weblinks or malicious websites. Every expert not directly involved in making that law (and a few of them too, probably) says the law is useless or even dangerous. Over 65,000 people (and counting) have signed a petition against it - in six days. Yet several ministers make it very clear that they will go through with it. We have federal elections in September, so they'll do anything to make the impression that they do everything to protect the people - children in this case. I'm just waiting for someone to file a lawsuit at the Federal Constitutional Court ("Bundesverfassungsgericht", BVerfG).
On another occasion (sometime last year), Members of German federal parliament have publicly admitted that they voted for a new law that they believed violates our constitution! They reasoned that someone will file a lawsuit at the BVerfG anyway (which has happened), so after the verdict is done, the government can design a new law! Nice way to govern a country, is it?

OK, I needed that rant. I hope you non-Germans understand why we in Germany are seriously worried.

And some years in the future our Toll System on the Autobahn will be used to monitor speeding. You won't be able to go anywhere on the autobahn without being photographed every couple of kilometers. Measuring average speed and the distance from the car in front of you could also be adapted.

I think it will come... sooner or later... It's really frustrating what u can do with people and the majority is just too dumb to realize it.

Outlaw paintball guns and only outlaws will have paintball guns.

Needed to be said. :p

Why do so many episodes of South Park spring to mind?