Germany: Nuclear power plants to close by 2022

You mean, until the next nuclear power plant explodes? :p

Just give it a few years' worth of forgetting, MacGuffin.
Tchernobyl isn?t the slightest bit forgotten after 26 years. Fukushima won?t be forgotten in 11 years ...

Why wait for 2022, when you can only use the green, juicy, nuclear-free electricity from coal power plants already today: http://www.nucleostop.de/
I love it when people show that much dedication to their Troll/Joke-website, they don?t even bother to adjust the dates every couple of years ...
[...]Schlagen Sie zu, bevor Frau Merkel 2009 wieder die Preise erh?ht.
This site will probably still warn you of rising prices in 2009 when it?s the year 3000 ...

Last edited:
You know you have won a discussion, when the other one can only reply with non-relevance or polemics :p

I think any political decision like this made because of emotion and not logic is faulty and doomed to create issues down the road.

Tchernobyl isn?t the slightest bit forgotten after 26 years. Fukushima won?t be forgotten in 11 years ...

If Tchernobyl was playing any role in today's politics there would not have been the recent extension of nuclear plant's lives. Fukushima will be forgotten much quicker because it didn't affect us physically.

The Fukushima disaster didn't killed anybody and it did a damn good job at sustaining the earthquakes and tsunamis it was subjected to. We keep forgetting that this is a plant running with 1st Gen BWRs and 1st Gen Mark1 containment. In my opinion the engineering did a damn good job and people (The German Green Party) are stupid if they believe that the technology hasn't advanced any further since those designs.

Well, to be fair:
It destroyed the life of pretty much anyone living in it's vicinity. Especially considering agriculture.

That statement is not being fair, that is being subjective. The fact still remains that no one has died as a result of the malfunction. Has it created a non-ideal situation? Yes, but in a few years everything will be back to normal. The half-life of the emitted nuclear particles is relatively short and the number of emitted particles is quite low.

Last edited:
Define a "few years".

Yes but in a few years everything will be back to normal.

Yeah...

Prypiat is back to normal, too...

Pripjat_Panorama.jpg

View_of_Chernobyl_taken_from_Pripyat.JPG

Pripyat_-_Bumper_cars.jpg

Prypiat_Pool.jpg

Seriously, though: How naive can you get?

Define a "few years".

Cesium-137 is the only issue and it has a half-life of 30 years. Iodine-131 has a half life of 8 days.

Yeah...

Prypiat is back to normal, too...

View attachment 4575

View attachment 4576

View attachment 4577

View attachment 4578

Seriously, though: How naive can you get?

Question is, how naive can you get?

why are you comparing two completely different Nuclear disasters?

One had no containment and Russian designed reactors while the other had several containments, western designed reactors, and updated computerized safety systems? Don't you think it's a bit naive and unfair to compare the two disasters? No engineer in the right mind would.

The Fukushima disaster didn't killed anybody

There were deaths at the plant, I can recall at least three cases off the top of my head. However, none of them was related to radiation. For instance an elderly worker lost conciousness while carrying some stuff and died, probably of a stroke.

Cesium-137 is the only issue and it has a half-life of 30 years.

...which means it takes 99.66 years to cut the Cs137-levels down to a tenth. Depending on the actual level of contamination you could be looking at no waiting, a few years, or centuries.

Last edited:
There were deaths at the plant, I can recall at least three cases off the top of my head. However, none of them was related to radiation. For instance an elderly worker lost conciousness while carrying some stuff and died, probably of a stroke.

Deaths related to the earthquake and tsunamis not the failure of the Nuclear safety systems.

...which means it takes 99.66 years to cut the Cs137-levels down to a tenth. Depending on the actual level of contamination you could be looking at no waiting, a few years, or centuries.

Yes but even 15 years is enough time for the amount of Cs-137 levels released to be more or less negligible.

Deaths related to the earthquake and tsunamis not the failure of the Nuclear safety systems.

Without a failure of the nuclear safety system the elderly worker would not have had to carry the stuff that made him collapse :rolleyes:

Yes but even 15 years is enough time for the amount of Cs-137 levels released to be more or less negligible.

Well, after 15 years the radiation would reduce by 30% if we assume decay is the only reason for the reduction. I'm sure several regions are not a few percent over the usual limits but several times, maybe even orders of magnitude.
For instance, the highest measurement of soil contamination with Cs137 I could find is 227kBq/kg. Barely affected regions read values in the range of 0.1kBq/kg... that's roughly 2000 times less. That needs eleven cuts in half to go to those lower values, or 330 years.

15 years would drop the values from 227kBq/kg to 159kBq/kg, a reduction - but still high.

Again, this is assuming that the only reason for reductions is decay alone.

Does that mean you will be moving to the area to take advantage of the cheap property?

Does that mean you will be moving to the area to take advantage of the cheap property?

:no: I'm happy right where I am. Not a lot of intense heat, not a lot of intense cold, no hurricanes, no earth quakes, no volcanoes, no tsunamis, no torrential downpours, no dry seasons, no mountains, no stinky megacities, decently cheap cost of living, good job, the sea and our yacht within walking distance, ... why move anywhere else? :D

Last edited: