Glow in the dark roads

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/04/glow-in-the-dark-roads-make-debut-in-netherlands/

Smart-Highway-dynamic-paint-Studio-Roosegaarde-640x426.jpg

Neat idea, but I don't see the snow flakes and the like holding up to road deterioration. Not to mention I am concerned if they make things slippery.

Over here a good rain produces these lovelies

2013831603.jpg

Last edited:
... fluorescent paint for road markings may be a good idea (has nobody actually tried that before?), but I?m not so sure about the "adaptive" surface, that shows you the temperature ... first and foremost, are there still cars that don?t do that? And given that you?re not freshly from a plane from the other side of the globe - isn?t it quite clear whether it is hot (what difference does that even make at night?) or cold? That seems like a pretty useless display of information to me ...

:rofl:

They can't even pave or paint a damn line, how would the paint such complicated patterns?
No way!

first and foremost, are there still cars that don?t do that? And given that you?re not freshly from a plane from the other side of the globe - isn?t it quite clear whether it is hot (what difference does that even make at night?) or cold? That seems like a pretty useless display of information to me ...

The thermometer in your car shows you the air temperature, not the road surface temperature, and since roads reach freezing at different rates, it's still useful info, IMO.

The thermometer in your car shows you the air temperature, not the road surface temperature, and since roads reach freezing at different rates, it's still useful info, IMO.

My car gives me a little yellow snowflake when air-temperatures go beneath 4?C and a little red snowflake under 2?C ... as long as the road itself can?t say if it is actually slippery from ice, there still is no more information there then "may be slippery" wich my car already warns me about at under 4?C ...

It would last a total of 3 days until those snowflakes all had 2 grooves going through them :p

I don't see this "special paint" being very durable. Just imagine what someone driving through them with ice chains would do.

Nice out of the box thinking. But what's wrong with these:

nayttotaulu1.jpg ?

Fluorescent paint seems like a nice idea though.

Last edited:
Very neat but since roads are horribly expensive already, a road built using this technology will be extremely expensive, and I don't think the value added is all that significant...
Also, when was the last time you encountered a slick motorway? Great big snowplows descend upon them the instant a single snowflake drops...

Very neat but since roads are horribly expensive already, a road built using this technology will be extremely expensive, and I don't think the value added is all that significant...
Also, when was the last time you encountered a slick motorway? Great big snowplows descend upon them the instant a single snowflake drops...

I'm sure in Sweden they do, over here? Services are undermanned and under equipped, not to mention Belgians can't drive for shit at the best of times, so as soon as 2 snowflakes fall this whole country stops.

Yes that too.

How about motion sensing street lights? Add some speed sensors and adjust so each light is on when before the car is.

I have been thinking too that motion sensors would be good in rural areas. I don't know much about light technology, but they wouldn't probably work with normal high pressure sodium lamps. LED lights would be a different story though.