GM Build Quality Strikes Again

Salar said:
Those photos show us why it's cheaper than the others.
Yes, certain car's a cheap for reasons..I mean look at my heap of junk, it's a GM :D

I guess it happens, a descent car just got a weight reduction :lol:

Stop stop stop stop stop.
Next someone will suggest the roof was rattled off by the cheap suspension.

Just keep the talk on the roof please :p

You said it, not me 8)

thedguy said:
GraemeH said:
Well, it happens, let's be fair. I know of a Koenigsegg roof that came off at high speed (causing the Carerra GT that was racing it to crash and kill the driver, actually).

Still, the guy was only doing 60?

The difference on those cars is they have removable tops, the z06 doesn't. Some UAW worker must have felt that $30/hour wasn't enough to make sure those rivets were fastened properly.*

*I'm aware the panel of the roof itself failed and not the adhesive or fastening system failed.
I was just about to mention that the Z06 is a targa anyway, but apparently not. Thanks for straightening that out (and saving me another embarrassing post).

And this is probably a freak accident. If it happens again, then GM should suffer the backlash, but the Z06 is still an amazing car in my book, no matter how cheap it is.

Expect the media to probably jump over this soon and scream about how piss-poor GM is because the roof of a Z06 fell off and that we should all be driving Toyotas, the savior of mankind, instead.

Well, they're right. If Toyota made the Z06, that would be like the greatest thing ever.

(except they are not allowed to change the design in ANY WAY AT ALL. just build quality)

FATMOUSE said:
Well, they're right. If Toyota made the Z06, that would be like the greatest thing ever.

(except they are not allowed to change the design in ANY WAY AT ALL. just build quality)
and change the pushrod 3 valve design which likes to split right down the middle.

but im still a huge fan of the z06 and will defend it to the death

At least it was just the fiberglass bit and not the actual roof. Though I've noticed many people discussing the merits of having a sunroof installed...

Some one hasn't been doing their job...

patrick10 said:
FATMOUSE said:

and change the pushrod 3 valve design which likes to split right down the middle.

but im still a huge fan of the z06 and will defend it to the death

Aren't you thinking of Ford?

The gentleman whose job it is to press the button that makes the machine bolt the roof on was unavailable for comment:

uaw651.gif

I want to love the Z06, but this isn't an isolated incident. This is gonna be bad for GM; the 'Vette is the flagship of the lineup, and this is no small defect, like a piece of rattling trim or a faulty headlight. GM hasn't had their shit in order for 30 years, and they deserve whatever criticisms come their way, rightfully so.

GraemeH said:
The gentleman whose job it is to press the button that makes the machine bolt the roof on was unavailable for comment:

uaw651.gif

can anyone say british leyland? :thumbsdown:

Oh, this happened to one car? They must all be junk.

Every car model ever built by any company in the world is going to experience this knd of thing at some point or another. :roll:

the one thing that GM gets right is its reliability. who gives a damn if the roof feel apart on one car? compared to TVR's, which are falling apart as quick as they are being built, the Vette is a car that you can give to your grandkids in the same driving condition you bought it in

They can buy their own damn cars! Good for nothing grandkids... :x

:lol:

bartboy9891 said:
the one thing that GM gets right is its reliability. who gives a damn if the roof feel apart on one car? compared to TVR's, which are falling apart as quick as they are being built, the Vette is a car that you can give to your grandkids in the same driving condition you bought it in
GM's quality has actually improved, but there's no way in hell you can compare a multi-billion dollar global corporation with a small company with greater limited resources such as TVR. It's like comparing a hamburger from your neighbor's backyard with a Big Mac.

BlaRo said:
bartboy9891 said:
GM's quality has actually improved, but there's no way in hell you can compare a multi-billion dollar global corporation with a small company with greater limited resources such as TVR. It's like comparing a hamburger from your neighbor's backyard with a Big Mac.
i understand, but i'm just comparing the Vette to the first thing that came to mind. just trying to stress that GM makes relatively very reliable cars in general

GraemeH said:
Stop stop stop stop stop.
Next someone will suggest the roof was rattled off by the cheap suspension.

i agree...i blame it in those cheap leaf-springs :thumbsdown:

:p

27,000 miles on my 2004 Sunfire and not one reliabilty issue ever.