Car(s)
2009 GTI
News forum needs more truck.

GMC Sierra All Terrain HD Concept

GMC-Sierra_All_Terrain_HD_Concept_2011_photo_05.jpg

GMC-Sierra_All_Terrain_HD_Concept_2011_photo_02.jpg

GMC-Sierra_All_Terrain_HD_Concept_2011_photo_0c.jpg

(note the shamelessly stolen ramboxes)

Automobile MagazineThe pickup truck market is still plenty hot. With su.ch brutal sheetmetal as the Ford F-150 Raptor SVT and the Ram Heavy Duty Power Wagon, it's only natural that GMC get a contender as well. And it may, if it decides to green light the vehicle you see here: the Sierra 2500 HD-based Sierra All-Terrain HD Concept. The concept is slated for a Detroit debut next month.

The concept GMC previewed Thursday features a 39-degree approach angle and 31 degree departure angle. Built on an '11 Sierra 2500 crew cab body, with a 1500's five-foot, eight-inch box, the concept has a stock Duramax turbodiesel, making 390 horsepower and 745 pound-feet, like the production engine. Transmission also is stock, the Allison six-speed automatic. Thanks to the non-stock box/body combo, the concept's wheelbase is 149 inches, two inches shorter than a Sierra 2500 Crew Cab.

Suspension features custom upper- and lower-control arms, and Fox supplied second rebound shocks front and rear.

Tires are knobby 35-inch BFGs on 20-inch aluminum wheels. The front clip and hood is unique to the concept, with larger hood intakes to feed more air to the 6.6-liter Duramax.

On the profile, you'll notice a blacked-out b-pillar and anodized trim. A custom automatic swing-down entry/exit step stays out of the way for serious off-roading, and there's another swing-down step for the box just behind the rear doors, for easier loading and unloading.

It's no basic work truck, which means the leather interior is straight out of the HD Sierra Denali. A new radio includes an 80-gig hard drive. The concept adds lockable side storage compartments, with an electrical outlet, a compressed air outlet and a 360-degree floodlight in the box.

Way in back, the designers have added LED taillamps and an integrated skidplate, and dual exhausts.

So, any production plans? It would be easy for GMC to build this truck, mostly with off-the-shelf parts. And like the Ford F-150 Raptor SVT, it would be a low-volume, high-price halo truck, anyway. It's more important as a kind of hint about what the next Sierra will look like. The styling suggests homage to the ground-breaking "fuselage"-style GM pickups of 1973, though there's a bit of Ford F-Series in the grille graphic.

It's also a chance for GMC to facelift the current Heavy Duty Sierras, which were redesigned for '11. Due to budget constraints, GMC (and Chevy with the HD Silverado) concentrated on making a new truck under the skin. There's very little visual difference from the previous heavy duty trucks.

It appears to have much chunkier tires and a higher ride height than the Raptor? But it still somehow has less "presence" if you ask me.

GMC-Sierra_All_Terrain_HD_Concept_2011_photo_01.jpg

Ford-F-150_SVT_Raptor_SuperCrew_2011_photo_01.jpg

...aw, who am I kidding, I don't know jack about trucks, I drive a VTAK rice-rocket.

So GM has figured out a way to take an inherently badass concept - offroad bruiser truck - and make it look sedate. This is a concept! Have fun with it guys! Paint it orange, photograph it on some rocks, stuff like that.

I'm a GM truck fan but I'd take the Raptor any day of the week. I think the Raptor is a lot more useful than the GMC. And the GMC looks butt ugly from the front.

It looks like instead of just targeting the Raptor or just the Powerwagon, GM is aiming right in between the two. An offroad truck that's not as sporty offroad as the Raptor and not as rugged as the Powerwagon. Seems like a failure to me. They should just aim for one and try to make it better.

Hmmm....objective missed. Raptor is at least 50x cooler.

They should just stay out of it because it'll suck no matter what, and divert those resources to making the Camaro better than the Mustang instead of almost competitive.

The GMC Sierra, now Bro-dozerized from the factory

This won't see production, at least not in this configuration. Also, GM has been doing "sedate" since before Bill Mitchell retired. The most adventurous GM concepts always err on the side of conservative.

Basically, it's not a desert racer like the Raptor and it's not a trailrunner/woodsbasher/rockcrawler like the PowerWagon... so what's the point of this thing again?

Also, Nissan called, they want their signature cab-corner rear window kink back.
Nissan%20Frontier%20Eight.jpg

I've seen a Raptor in person (or at least it looked like one and said "SVT" on it not really a truck person) that thing has SERIOUS presence.

At the very least this show that GM is experimenting with implementing new ideas on their trucks. (new in the sense that GM didn't have them before, not a new idea). I'd like to see more trucks with Rambox-style box "saddles". My dad's 2010 has them and they're unbelievably useful. Having a kind of smaller, weathertight trunk makes trucks much more practical in the urban environment they often end up spending a lot of time in.

I've seen a Raptor in person (or at least it looked like one and said "SVT" on it not really a truck person) that thing has SERIOUS presence.

There are two or three Raptors around town (yeah, I live in crazy truck country) and they all are IMPRESSIVE when you see them coming.

this looks like shit.

give me a raptor

There are two or three Raptors around town (yeah, I live in crazy truck country) and they all are IMPRESSIVE when you see them coming.

They are everywhere here in Dallas. I've easily seen a dozen running around.

I want (the raptor, not that GMC thing)

*laughs* There's one orange with splash graphics one around here. Rolls over curbs like they aren't there. :p

They are everywhere here in Dallas. I've easily seen a dozen running around.

I want (the raptor, not that GMC thing)

Yeah, but I live in a town of 75,000. Three Raptors means that there's one Raptor for every 25,000 residents. That's the per capita equivalent of 52 Raptors in Dallas.

Like I said, big truck territory. My Si (and the Jetta before it) stick out like a sore thumb ;)