Ownership Verified: Going Mainstream (2016 Miata)

DanRoM

Forum Addict
Car(s)
MX-5 ND, Tracer 900 GT & two bikes
When I bought the Focus back in 2009, the plan was always to keep it around 6 years, maybe a bit longer. And after just over six years of ownership, a new car was about to become available that I very much wanted. Fast forward half a year, and I've done some test drives in it after it had hit the market. Fast forward another few month, and my new car is delivered. :)

For those of you who haven't already guessed: Yes, it is a Miata. I've not started an advice thread for the choice of replacement for the Focus because the result would have been clear anyway. ;) And I figured that I really do not need a car with serious transport capacity. So what the hell.

Well, now this is my new car:
Mazda MX-5 G-160 Exclusive Line, meaning:
  • 2 litre N/A petrol engine
  • Power: 118 kW (160 PS)
  • Torque: 200 Nm
  • Top speed: 214 kph
  • Weight: Well... the promotion material says "1,000 kg", the papers say 1,122 kg with all options, fluids, and a driver who's lighter than me. The truth will be somewhere in between.
  • Automatic lights and wipers
  • Infotainment system with GPS, DAB/FM/AM radio, USB and Bluetooth (calls and Audio streaming), plus some other things
No, it doesn't have fancy stop-start system, Brembo brakes or Recaro seats. After the test drives, I deemed the "normal" version good enough and the "Sports Line" (some decidedly non-sporty electronic gizmos plus the stop-start system, BOSE sound system) or even the then-optional "Sports Package" (Recaros plus even more gizmos) not worth the additional cost.

Enough talk. Now the pictures:

Exterior:

DSC_6981.jpg

DSC_6983.jpg

DSC_6987.jpg

DSC_7015.jpg

DSC_7014.jpg

Engine bay:

DSC_7045.jpg

Interior (excuse the dirt):

DSC_7008.jpg

DSC_7012.jpg

"Boot" (normal-size laptop/work rucksack for scale :D)
DSC_7046.jpg

... and the proof picture:

DSC_7005.jpg

By the way, the Sc?nic in the background is my father's. That'll be my backup for when I need some luggage space... :D

Last edited:
I don't know why you told people not to guess around wildly, while it was blatantly obvious..

Anyway, I am rather sure you will have fun, so enjoy! :)

:bow:

Don't like the dark rims but other than that a splendid choice. Should suit your chosen lifestyle to a T. ;)

SHOTGUN!
Please please please please please please tell me you're taking it to Ringmeet.
And around the Ring, obviously.

(I really wanna say GIMME THE KEYS, but I am trying to be a bit more realistic. :lol:)

Also, congrats for being the first one on the forums. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
:mouse: not only correct trim level, correct colour too :clap:

Makes up for me not getting one for now too :)

Last edited:

While I love that colour it does seem to be the default shade for the ND. I've probably seen a dozen or so on the road since launch and most of them seem to be in that colour as was the one Hammond drove on TG. Saying that though other than the gunmetal grey on the new targa version I can't imagine it in any other shade right now.

And Dan, it's not a criticism, merely an observation.

Jet black looks great on these, IMO. Of course, that is unwashable so it doesn't get all spiderwebby.

CONGRATS! :D

Thanks guys :)

Big contrast to the focus :)
That's about the only thing big on this... :D

I drove my NB to work for the first time this season and can't stop smiling - I'm sure the ND will be similar :D
Thanks, I sure hope so. So far I've only driven less than 50 km due to time constraints.

Don't like the dark rims but other than that a splendid choice.
The black rims come with the trim level. And as the upper half of the car is black too (more so with the black mirrors that also come with the trim level), in my opinion they give it a nice two-colour scheme.
While I love that colour it does seem to be the default shade for the ND.
Well, this red is the default that Mazda uses for advertisting and presentation purposes. Practically all MX-5s of the first batch that rolled to the dealers were this colour.

Also regarding the colour choices: Black doesn't really work on the car as it hides too much of the features the designers put into the body, in stark contrast to the red, which brings them out fully. So I went for that.

Well.... I have the feeling that not going for the Sports Line will bite me in the ass when it comes to selling the car (whenever that may be). Most people go for the full package.

You'll get there... :)

please tell me you're taking it to Ringmeet.
And around the Ring, obviously.
How dare you question that. :D

So then, it seems I actually don't read all "the Forum", because I never saw a hint at all. So take my surprise: - You bought a sportscar! Way to go! - For you, I mean. :D
And also for you a new car makes quite some sense since you only did 58'000km in the last seven years. - I did 245'000km in the same time. :blink:

Congratulations! And have a Top Tip: Travel light! Haha! :lol:

Well.... I have the feeling that not going for the Sports Line will bite me in the ass when it comes to selling the car (whenever that may be). Most people go for the full package.

I doubt that - Exclusive has enough to not be a deal-breaker, I expect the gap to Sports to narrow with age.

You'll get there... :)

Well, the next three years will be filled with a company car if all goes according to plan... if you're selling in August 2019 though ;)