Ownership Verified: Going Mainstream (2016 Miata)

:lol:

232 GPS im very impressive! But it shows that top speeds by manufacturers are often lower than they really can, mine can go quite a lot more GPS'd aswell.

Makes you think how they do it - just go on the Autobahn flatout once and then call it a day, no matter if uphill or downhall? :D

The tank capacity is interesting though ... what's your real-life range?

232 GPS im very impressive! But it shows that top speeds by manufacturers are often lower than they really can
Well, the Focus was a big disappointment in that regard, after the Passat I had before that easily beat its advertised speed by nearly 20 kph on flat roads... (was fun, because that also meant going faster than the tyres' speed rating :D) and downhill actually touched the rev limiter in final gear.
So I'm very glad that the MX-5 is also capable of going decent speeds, even if you need a really long stretch of road for it.

The tank capacity is interesting though ... what's your real-life range?
With normal driving and fuel consumption at just under 7 l/100 km, it should be able to do 630 km or so - same as the Focus, by the way. I don't have enough data yet to draw real valid conclusions, so I'm still filling up prematurely.

Under 7 is really good. Be that liters/100 km or BtG.

heh, didn't even think about that :lol:

Well, 1 out of 3 isn't that bad... :D

Also, I've been to a driving safety course last weekend and learned (mainly) two things: 1. my tyres are totally hopeless on slippery surface, 2. powersliding at about 20 kph looks quite pathetic.
Fun was had, though. :)

Ringmeet was four weeks ago... so this update is overdue.

I've done some Nordschleife laps with the car, two traffic-hindered slow ones on Saturday and two faster, but still traffic-hindered ones on Sunday. And as the car is way more noticeable than the Focus I had before, the various photographers at the Ring didn't miss it. :) From about a dozen pictures on RaceTracker.de, I actually bought two, both from the lap I did with TobiasG as passenger. Here, have some small versions - the original files are like 24 MP. :)

At Schwalbenschwanz:
MX-5_Schwalbenschwanz.jpg

Some seconds before that - at the Pflanzgarten jump:
MX-5_Pflanzgarten-Jump.jpg

After having taken the car onto the track, the appropiate sticker was due. I decided on a small black one to go next to the licence plate. The FG Racing skull on the fuel cap was just a silly idea, but it's still there. :D
MX-5_FG-Stickers.jpg

:thumbsup:

So cool! The first pic with the yellow GT3 in the back is pure awesomesauce.

Winter can come:

IMG_20161116_174249884.jpg

Michelin Alpin 5 in 195/50 R16 88H on 6.5x16 Autec Nordics.

I chose about the cheapest black rims I could find. Black, because opening up a third colour on the car by having the usual silver wheels didn't appeal to me at all.

I modified my car! A small step for mankind, I admit, but as I have two left hands with five thumbs each it's a big step for me. :D

Only a little thing. My car was definitely too lightly coloured in some places ;), so I replaced the wing indicators with aftermarket ones that have the correct colour.

Before:
IMG_0502.jpg

To detach the indicators, you can either apply leverage with a screwdriver and ruin the paint around the hole in the process, or you can go at them from the inside. To do that, you have to partly declamp the inner wing by removing three of those clamps:
IMG_0503_001.jpg

Then you can reach inside the wing and push out the indicator.

IMG_0504.jpg

Old indicator out, new one in:
IMG_0505.jpg

In action:
IMG_0506.jpg

Shot of the car:
IMG_0507.jpg

The parts were a Christmas gift by my parents which raised a few curious reactions ("What is that?" - "Indicators." - "...... wwhhyyyy...?") from my nieces (and her mother).

Unfortunately while I didn't pay for the parts, I seem to have hurt my back while working on the car by making a wrong move somewhere. Ouch. I'm old. :(

Last edited:
Looks good in that color.
:thumbsup:

I chose about the cheapest black rims I could find. Black, because opening up a third colour on the car by having the usual silver wheels didn't appeal to me at all.

Which clearly is also the reason you went with the most stupid of all ideas and left silver center caps on them. How could you possibly have missed that!? :D