Gradual ND filters

sifu

Car(s)
-11 BMW F11 528i Sport
Hi,

Im about to buy ND filter/s.. Gradual ofc comes to my mind first.

Im just intrested in which filter suits my style the best, so if you can please post some pictures and situations where you used ND filter, what filter it was? ND2, ND4, ND8, NDx400 (9 steps from hoya). ND value is the most important fact i want to know. There are graduated versions to different ND values.

Recommendations, suggestions, etc... any help is welcome.

Personally i want to take almost foamlike water pictures which suggests pretty big ND, or should i buy two of em...?

Sky in normal conditions doesnt need so much ND in my opinion ND2 or ND4?

Thanks in advance.

I have an ND2, ND4, ND8 and ND4 graduated.

Here is a chart indicating how many stops of light a particular grade of ND filter blocks. So, from there, you can calculate what you might need and you can always pile them on if you need to.

If you're shooting long exposures in bright lighting, you want plain old ND filters (not graduated ones) with high amounts light reduction.

i was thinking of graduated nd4 and a plain nd400 from hoya, but in here that second filter is a pretty expensive, more than 2 of my lenses :)

For shots in sunny weather, you need atleast an ND8. That has been my relatively short experience with nd filters.

Well graduated nd8 and two nd8 filters is now on my mind....

i dunno man, i'd go for 4's

ive got an ND4 filter and ive found i really havent needed anymore than that, even during the day. i would imagine in bright sun an ND8 might be of use, but is it always gonna be bright sun!?

^ well in finland... never. :)