Gran Turismo 4 - Out 3rd December (14th in US)

I urge everyone interested in this game to read this article: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/24/news_6108402.html.

In their infinite wisdom ( :? ), they have decided to pull out online play from Gran Turismo 4! :evil:

What in the heck are they thinking? Sony may not have much competition out there from either xBox or GameCube, but this is absolutely ridiculous. This is probably the single most dissapointing piece of gaming news I've ever read. Ever! Online play was one of the centre pieces for this game - this is definetly going to have extremey adverse effects on people's opinion of the game and will surely lead to more market share by xBox. I know for fact that tonnes of people have been purchasing online adapters and HDDs in preperation for this game - now they get to tell thousands of fans they wasted $150+!

I really hope Polyphony Digital realizes that this is a kick straight to the balls for the thousands upon thousands of people who have eagerly been waiting for this game.

Also, just as a side note, at the Tokyo exhibition where the December 14th date was quoted, Polyphony Digital representitives were extremely hesitant to give a date, and wouldn't really confirm it after giving it - chances are it won't make the December 14th date. This is yet again another kick straight to the balls.

I understand the game being delayed for so long if they were actually working on online support and HDD support (like they said they were), but now with online support gone, they were obvioulsy doing absolutely nothing for that entire period! :? No online play equals no HDD support as well, so I can't even fathom what they were doing in the ridiculous ammount of time this game was delayed.

Again, this is the biggest dissapointment I've ever fealt as a gamer! :evil:

Edit: Oh, and just as another side note, they also decided to put Jay Leno's tank car in the game! :? What the hell is some celebrity's play toy doing in Gran Turismo! This just adds to my dissapointment. If they are including absolutely ridiculous cars like that, it's obvioulsy not going to have a concise feel to it. It's almost like Kazunori Yamauchi has been hanging around George Lucas and decided it would be fun to kick all of his fans in the balls. This really pisses me off!

I really have to agree with zenon 100% this game has been delayed so many times for gof knows how many reasons and the online support was a feature I was definetily looking forward to! I dont really care if the game has a gazillioni different cars I am never going to buy a mazda 3 or a toyota corolla on the game anyway.

So to sum up all I can say is F***

Meh, consoles.

I just really hope Polyphony Digital and Kazunori Yamauchi realize what they are doing.

George Lucas (another very controversial entertainment creator, license holder) has said on a few occasions that he realizes what he does gets a lot of fans angry, but it is his license and his work, so he ultimately does things that he wants - not what the fans want. I don't really agree with that, but despite that, I really respect him. He feels that he knows what needs to be added or removed from the movies, and what needs to be done with his licenses, and he follows through with it. George Lucas realizes what he is doing, and does it anyway. That can be respected.

However, Polyphony Digital has hyped online play with Gran Turismo 4 for ages now. They've hyped it, so in turn, the fans get hyped. They purchase the necessary equipment ahead of time (the online adapter and HDD kit), and even forgive Polyphony the half dozen or so times the game gets delayed. If they go to their local electronics store and look at the preview box, they read praises of the games supposed online play. The fans listen to Polyphony's announcements that the game is being delayed to fix up the online support and HDD support, and they believe them. Then, mere months before yet another release date, they announce that the game no longer has online support. :| That is an outrage.

If Polyphony Digital realizes what they are doing and say "No, sorry, we were dicks, we couldn't get online support working, so we're going to wait it out and put in the next installment", I will still respect them and still respect the game. However, it seems like they are trying to just slip this one under the table and hope the fans don't freak out. If this is the case, this is the grandest occurence of fan scrotum smashing ever in the history of motorsport games (I could almost say of all games period, but ET for Atari takes the cake there).

I truly hope they see a backlash from this.

im a big GT fan to but i guess im not as pationate as you are or upset to that extent.

i was really getting hyped for online play as it isnt quite up to speed, i have an adapter and played Live 2004 a few times and sometimes game played slowed, not to mention that i had to disconnect my modem from my comp and have it reach my PS2 which was a big hasle.

i really hope they do get backlash but then again its one of the most anticipated games of the year.

second, im not to pissed about the whole GT4 situation EVEN IF they delay it again.

why, OCT 19!! THAT'S WHY!

Gran Theft Auto - San Andreas, the cocaine for every PS2 user!!!! :D

I am glad that GT4 finally has a confirmed release date, so that I have something to play on the ps2 other than Winning Eleven.

The lack of online support is definitely a blow since as Zenon said this feature was cited as one of the principal reasons for the delay, but I have never taken my ps2 online so it doesn't affect me as much

I wonder what they have in store for us in 2005 with another Gran Turismo, the one which promises online support.

haha604 said:
I am glad that GT4 finally has a confirmed release date, so that I have something to play on the ps2 other than Winning Eleven.
It's actually not a confirmed release date.

zenon said:
Also, just as a side note, at the Tokyo exhibition where the December 14th date was quoted, Polyphony Digital representitives were extremely hesitant to give a date, and wouldn't really confirm it after giving it - chances are it won't make the December 14th date. This is yet again another kick straight to the balls.

Im really excited about this game. I was never excited about online play so the lack of it doesnt bother me. What does irritate me is that they are wasting memory and programming time on that stupid B-Spec mode which is quite possibly the stupidest idea ever. All I am really looking for is an improvement on the graphics and cars from GT3. I am really excited about this game. There are a TON of cars that I am excited are in it and a couple that I just dont understand why there are in there (a.k.a. Toyota Prius and others like the Tank Car already mentioned). Regardless, cant wait until it is here.

the first car and second car ill try to use or acquire are quite obvious, the 7.3liter Zonda and the AMG SL. 8) 8)

i played the prologue version, and it realy is worth waiting for. and what game isn't released with a delay, a game released on time is a crap game!

NO!!!!

that was so stupid! i had no cars who had them, if i needed one to do a race, i bought it, and sold it right after the race. CARS MUST LOOK STOCK!! and don't need no fucking stickers :x

i really want a game where you can mod the car adn there is damage. however the mod'd must not be like need for speed udnerground.

its great that this game is coming out.. i have been waiting fo rit for a looong time.. but wth.. they delayed it so many times.. and they take out online play.. i wanted online play.. especially after all these damn delays! :evil:

Perhaps I should buy an HDTV just for GT4 :lol: .
How come the pictures are so hi-res, a PS2 can't actually produce a resolution like that can it?