Gran Turismo 5

:? No way to save it? I'm sure many other members here who actually play GT5P with a proper wheel can prove you wrong. Additionally, have YOU ever force a car to oversteer in real life? I am not comparing each game's physic engine to "what I've heard", but to my actual experience in real life. I am no racer (far from it) nor do I claim to be one, but I do have some experience kicking the rear out under numerous occasions, and you definitely have to "catch" the initial oversteer during a snap-oversteer before it becomes unmanageable. Which is exactly why in my earlier post I posted my opinion about over-steering in each game so other members on this forum who are more knowledgeable in this area can give us more information, or correct me if I'm wrong.

Anybody can make a claim, but a statement (especially criticism) without any sort of proof/evidence is just meaningless.

Well considering I drive a 94 FWD Caravan that is not really an option except when sliding on snow...which I have done before and feels completely different from GT. Ive only used the controller because I don't have anywhere to put a wheel. I just don't like the physics the cars feel like they have their physics based in the center of the car.

Now unless they completely changed the physics engine in GT5 Prologue from GT5 Prologue Demo then I am completely wrong. I was driving with all the aids turned off and this is what I felt when I was driving. This is of course my opinion and you can have yours too. But I feel that Forza feels like a better driving game with better handling yet worse graphics.

Its all a matter of opinion anyways.

His argument is fine with me. Why? because he is totally on the mark. The cars in GT just go from amazing traction to no grip and the rear end becoming the front end and no way to save it. While in Forza (and from what I heard from actual drivers) the limit isn't reached in a split second and doesn't instantly spin you out.

Thanks.

BTW, I would love to make a video just to prove my point (comparing the traction in both games) but unfortunately I can't.

Driving a Murcielago LP640 in Forza2 is like driving most cars in GT5P - tons of grip, but 'till you got to a certain point, it's off (where have I heard this before?)...

Now unless they completely changed the physics engine in GT5 Prologue from GT5 Prologue Demo then I am completely wrong. I was driving with all the aids turned off and this is what I felt when I was driving. This is of course my opinion and you can have yours too. But I feel that Forza feels like a better driving game with better handling yet worse graphics.

I drove with all aids off in Professional mode (whatever that does).

Well considering I drive a 94 FWD Caravan that is not really an option except when sliding on snow...which I have done before and feels completely different from GT. Ive only used the controller because I don't have anywhere to put a wheel. I just don't like the physics the cars feel like they have their physics based in the center of the car.

Its all a matter of opinion anyways.
Thank you for your honest answer (+rep). I understand different people have different preference and I completely respect your opinion. I have never driven in snow having lived in California for as long as I can remember, but driving a RWD car beyond tires' grip level, kicking the rear out on dry surface is definitely not a not a smooth transition. If you're not ready to catch the sudden loss of traction, you will be caught completely off guard which will most likely result in a spin.

Just like you said, cars don't lose control out of nowhere. You feel it before it happens though the steering wheel, through your seat, and how the car body/weight behaves. Under speed, these things happen fast, which is why people track their cars to improve they're driving skills so they know how to cope with these "kicks" as they push their cars closer to the limit.

What I have a problem with, is ahpadt's intention, which I will explain below:
Thanks.

BTW, I would love to make a video just to prove my point (comparing the traction in both games) but unfortunately I can't.

Driving a Murcielago LP640 in Forza2 is like driving most cars in GT5P - tons of grip, but 'till you got to a certain point, it's off (where have I heard this before?)...

I drove with all aids off in Professional mode (whatever that does).

I'm not sure if you realize how flawed your logic is, but you are still basing your "experience" to FM2 and one-liner description you've heard from Top Gear. You think there's something wrong with how cars behave in GT5P because you are used to something different in FM2, without even considering if cars' behavior (that you swear by so religiously) in Froza is even accurate in the first place.

Furthermore, even after I pointed out the lack of evidence in your claim, you still refuse to tell us what version of Prologue you are playing and how are you are playing it. Lacking such (important) information and judging by your description of the game, I have every reason to believe you are playing the Demo with the controller (do you even have a PS3?). YES, there are number of differences between the Demo and the retail/PSN version and YES, there is a BIG difference between playing with a controller or a properly set-up steering wheel; it's no different to judging a book by its cover.

It is very obvious that you much prefer Froza Motorsport 2 and you don't particularly care about GT5 Prologue (which I have no problem with). What I don't understand is why you feel the need to come into a GT5P discussion thread and continue to bad mouth a game that you are not experienced/familar with nor do you care for.:mad:

ahpadt said before he bought gt5p off the store from memory

I have to say that while I love GT5P, it's not exactly a sim in my opinion. Yeah the physics are more complex than previous games and harder in places but that doesn't mean it's a sim. To be honest I don't want a sim on a console, I sim on the PC. I also agree with what some said about the loss of grip, you have a tone of it and then all of a sudden it's gone. I will say it's very different though depending on the car, tires, and the complete setup. There are many variables that can change things but if you don't have tuning unlocked yet you won't have much choice over those things. Like the Ford GT in Prologue setup stock, it's such a slippery slidey car but I realized if I put the gear up one gear higher than what is recommended it takes almost all of the slippery feeling away. The physics still feel primitive to me when compared to PC sims though. Has anyone even gotten a car to flip in GT5P because I'm starting to think it's impossible, in fact I'm almost certain it's impossible.

me too actually. I'm hoping there'll be a bundle coming out with a PS3+GT5 Final + maybe other goodies (wireless controller or wheel) for a nice price

when's the final version of GT5 due? It sucks buying something for 400? now and then paying another 50? in 6 months time to get the "full" game.

Actually I heard a few weeks ago that there will be a bundle with the game, however I think it will get the PS3 that doesn't support backward compatibility.... :mad:

Actually I don't own a PS2 so I don't really care about backwards compatibility. ATM I'm only interested in playing GT5 until the controllers wear out

1.5mbit + failed downloads make me a sad panda. :(

So I finally played this yesterday on a friends PS3. I still don't know about the physics, I seem to prefer Forza, but in GT5s defense I didn't play it for more then maybe ten minutes. The tire noises still suck!

GT5 does retain their classic professionalism. They just make the game seem epic, the menus title screens every little detail is so polished. And have you seen the graphics!?!

The tire noises still suck!

Yeah I was actually quite disappointed with the sounds, I saw reviews that acclaimed how good they were and how they were different for every car. Then I go and play the game to find out they are exactly the same as previous GT games, including the same tire noise you mentioned. I guess I just expect more in the noise department given the amazing custom sounds you can get in PC sim racing games.

Yeah I was actually quite disappointed with the sounds, I saw reviews that acclaimed how good they were and how they were different for every car.

Yeah, I rarely trust reviews anymore.

^Yeah there was a review last year for some baseball game on the Wii, they said it was great and fun. So we got it for the Wii becuase we figured a baseball game on the Wii would be awesome with the controllers, wrong. Turned out after we looked into the review more that the lazy ass reviewer just copied and pasted the review from the 360 version which was completely different. The controls for said baseball game on the Wii are impossible and it's not even been touched since the day we got it.

GT5P looks so stunning. It's a bit repetitive / boring though, so it's definitely going on the back burner until I finish GTA4. :)

This game was not fun at all. Everyone praises the graphics, but I don't think the in-game graphics are all that great. Cars handle like shit compared to the first three versions of GT (only ones I ever played). Looks like I'll never need to buy a PS3 if this is how GT5 will be.

^ I don't know it was pretty fun pwnzoring the beginners in the first few turns of high speed ring. :lol:

I love the high speed ring, myself, it wasn't in GT3 which was really the last GT I played. Probably my favorite GT fantasy track.

This game was not fun at all. Everyone praises the graphics, but I don't think the in-game graphics are all that great. Cars handle like shit compared to the first three versions of GT (only ones I ever played). Looks like I'll never need to buy a PS3 if this is how GT5 will be.

/me waits for our sony rep to chime in

:D

And it costs 40 fucking dollars - FOR A GLORIFIED DEMO! I will reserve judgment when the final version is released, in 10 years for the PS9. I first drove the Evo X, which is a complete piece of shit - understeers worse than my xB and the brakes are useless. So I decided to drive the Nissan GT-R, which had great power and brakes, but would break loose and spin at every turn, no matter how I controlled it. The game may work better with a wheel than a controller, but how does that explain how awesome I was at the first three series of Gran Turismo? I used to rip that shit up with the Mine's Skyline and Suzuki Escudo.

Last edited:
And it costs 40 fucking dollars - FOR A GLORIFIED DEMO!

Dude I don't think you can argue it that way. It's far more game than Motorstorm and that still costs $60. It's full for it's price in my opinion. Yeah sure it isn't the greatest thing ever but it certainly isn't a ripoff at $40, it'd be a ripoff at $60.