Gran Turismo 5

Pfft Silverstone is boring. I. Want. Brands. Nao.

The new time trials were pretty fun. Both are at Suzuka (one of my favourite tracks); one features the Honda S cars from the 60's up to 350pp and the other features max 550pp race cars around a wet track.

I had a S800 lying around and I tuned it to 350pp (I just upped the power to 90hp) and added the sports suspension. I don't know if it was the new suspension or not, but every time I turned into a corner, I would get massive oversteer (really fun)! :D

I selected my Evo X Touring Car for the 550pp race car in the wet TT, and it was pretty fun also (easy to drift with the AWD on a wet track). :)

?Response of the clutch pedal when using the steering wheel controllers ?G25 Racing Wheel?, ?G27 Racing Wheel?, ?T500RS? and ?TH8RS? has been adjusted.

I haven't played in forever but I'll need to try this out.

Yay! It was far too easy to miss shifts, especially in lower gears.

Another GT-R DLC...:lol:

The best improvement to me is that they slowed down tire wear in endurance races (all I have left is the 'Ring 24h race, it'll be nice to see more realistic tire wear). :)

Edit:

Plus, that Honda Super GT car looks awesome:

8004348951_aab786bd5c_o.jpg

:D

Last edited:
Awesome indeed, Shouldn't the white Lan Evo have no wing or was that a dfferent battle?

The Emperor Evo had the Wing with the Stickers and the "sabotagers" from Stage 4 had also wings when i remember correctly.

The Sileighty should have no wing ( but there is no such model, the 180X,200x,240x of the S13 base have that wing in GT5).
Not sure about the orange S14/240x though,someone needs to back me up on this one.

Just played for the first time in a while, they much improved the clutch control (it now actually feels analog) but I find myself getting kicked into neutral far too often while attempting to shift. Either something changed or learning to drive stick for real has me doing something I wasn't before.

Either way the driving is very fun and I am once again left disappointed by the game itself.

The latest Supercar Festival seasonal was pretty fun. I used a stock McLaren F1 to beat them all quite easily. :D

Does anyone else here like to take a bunch of comparable cars and post times on the same track (458 vs. Gallardo vs. MP4-12C vs. SLS, etc...)? I first did that about a year ago on Suzuka and just today I started it again on the Nurburgring GP/D track. What a great track it is; Suzuka is fun and all, but this track has the perfect combination to test handling and power at the same time so a car with more power doesn't always have an advantage (this wasn't really the case on Suzuka because I got the Veyron around faster than the McLaren F1 and Ferrari Enzo, so having power was an advantage on that track). I found this out today when I compared a Mercedes SLR and an SLS; The SLS is less powerful, but I got it 'round faster (by half a second); this was most probably due to the lower weight and 7-speed DSG vs. the SLR's 5-speed auto.

This game has been getting a lot of complaints about the engine sounds and some cars do deserve the criticism, but I found that the SLR, SLS, 430, 458 and Gallardo (plus some others) sound spot on. The problem is that some cars sound good, but they don't sound right. For instance, the Aventador sounds exactly like the Gallardo's V10 and the Enzo sounds exactly like the 458's V8 (even though it sounded like a V12 before, maybe they screwed it up in an update or something)...:neutral:

I hope they fix the Aventador's and Enzo's sounds in the next patch.

This game has been getting a lot of complaints about the engine sounds and some cars do deserve the criticism, but I found that the SLR, SLS, 430, 458 and Gallardo (plus some others) sound spot on. The problem is that some cars sound good, but they don't sound right. For instance, the Aventador sounds exactly like the Gallardo's V10 and the Enzo sounds exactly like the 458's V8 (even though it sounded like a V12 before, maybe they screwed it up in an update or something)...
The main criticism of the sound is not so much that it's just wrong for the type of engine or sounds exactly like another car. The biggest flaw of GT5's sound is (and has always been) that while having the right sound signature for most cars, it just sounds thin, generic and lifeless. In competing games like Forza, the sound may not fit so well for some cars, but it generally gives a much more meaty and dirty impression and makes you believe that you have a serious machine under the hood.

Many people refer to GT sounds as vacuum cleaner sound, and while that may be somewhat ignorant, it does transport the general idea that everything sounds quite generic and computermodulated.

No no, I think he's correct. The way I understand him, he says that they record real engine sounds under load on a dyno and put them 1:1 into the game. There seems to be no post processing or sound design, because they record actual sounds, so it "has to be as close to reality as possible". They are taking the engineer's approach.

What they are missing is that staying as close to the real world as possible when creating something doesn't necessarily mean that the end result also is close to the real world. So while the idea is honorable and technically correct, the in game sounds come out just as described: artificial and dull. Other game creators use sound design to tune the end result, either for realism or a bigger spectacle. PD needs to learn this.

Last edited:
PD in general needs to learn how to make a game. GT5 is an excellent driving experience, but the menus are horrible and the events are uninteresting. To make the game challenging, they had to resort to putting you at a massive disadvantage (start in 16th on a rolling start and get to first in 2-3 laps). GT5 is just a horrible game, which is odd considering GT4 was really very good. They do need to learn from Turn10 though.

I think that's because they focused all of their efforts on finishing the game ASAP because they were on a deadline (they basically started from scratch and no it isn't a "horrible" game; it's a 10/10 simulator in a 8/10 game). GT6 will be the better as a simulator and much better as a game since they can focus more of their efforts on that aspect. :)

Last edited:
While that is true, the game was 6 years in the making. it's not like it was a rush job...