Gran Turismo 5

I tried GT:HD a while back and was in for a little shocker. I thought the AI and the cars would feel more realistic. The best handling car in the demo was without a shadow of doubt, the Lotus. This says it all. Even the Ferrari felt numb.

If GT5 has the same AI, it wont stack up to FM2, sadly.

I think you are confusing the terms, "A.I." stands for "artificial intelligence," which is how other cars (computer drivers) react to your presence, A.I. does not exist in GT:HD.

What you are describing is driving physics. However you would have to take into consideration that GT:HD is simply a tech demo running on reworked GT4 engine to show off its graphics.

GT5 on the other hand (GT5 Prologue in this case), is running on an entirely new engine, and will be the first major update to GT physics in a long time.

Additionally, no game is perfect, every game have its own flaws. While I do agree that FM2 have really refined physics, there are still a few small details that continue to bug me and preventing me to truly enjoy the game; such as the lack of twitch of a car's rear end when it regains traction from a slide, and the wireless wheel's lack of steering rotation during drifts.

less than 24 hours away from GT5 Prologue demo, it will be available on Japanese PSN between October 20 and November 11. Just create a Japanese account and you will be able to download it as soon as it's available, here's direction on how to create a Japanese account <click>

a total of seven vehicles will be featured in the Prologue demo. These vehicles are the 2008 Lexus IS-F, 2009 Nissan GT-R, 2008 Mazda Atenza, 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi, 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR, 2008 Daihatsu OFC-1 and 2009 BMW 135i coupe. It's a pretty awesome selection especially when you remember that this is just a free download, but we're not really certain why the hell the Daihatsu is in the mix or how it got in there. Maybe it snuck in when no one was looking.

Seven cars, but only one course will be playable, Suzuka Circuit.
link: <click>

The first update is that Sony will be demonstrating GT 5 Prologue's GT TV - a built-in service that will enable to users view real-life motoring shows like BBC's Top Gear, and Japan's Car Graphic TV via episodic content. GT TV won't be available offline, though.
link: <click>

New screenshots here: http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20071019/gt5p.htm

gt5p07.jpg

/on TV and switch to Video 1
/Turn on PS3 via controller
/create new user and Japanese PSN account
/Wait for GT5 Prologue Demo!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the links my friend!

:woot: its out
I will be driving all night now
:driving:

:cry:

I don't own a PS3. :cry::cry::cry:

I'm so happy I bought my Ps3 just one week ago!!!! :D

First thing tomorrow will be to download the demo!!! :D

P.S: BTW look at that series 1. And I want to see if anyone dares to say that Forza or PGR is better, because...

I've been outta the loop for a while.
What happened to that 2 version thing they were gonna do? One with ok graphics and another version with 'mega super dooper graphic' cars?

This one has 200,000 polygons per car, I think. Downloading now, should be at 50%!

GT HD must be the one that has ok graphics.

the demo looks great :drool:

I have captured a few screenshots of the demo, quality's not perfect but you have to remember that these are captured off my Sony SXRD with a digicam.

Here's my photobucket album, will continue to add more when I get a chance:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v113/profingersk8er/GT5 Prologue/?start=all

Quick initial impression of the demo:
- it supports Logitech G25's H pattern shifter, even reverse gear is fully functional. (as far as I can tell, there's currently no clutch and neutral gear)
- even though the graphics is very impressive, it's not as pretty as the released pictures.
- shadow seems somewhat incomplete, sometimes they are fuzzy and very jaggy around edges.
- some jagginess around edges of cars.
- it doesn't seems to run as smooth as GT-HD.
- driving physics seems much improved over GT4 and GT-HD.
- AIs are now aware of your presence, they if you cut into the inside during a corner they will take wider turn.
- If you park in the middle of a track, they still crash into you (not sure if it's because they can't stop fast enough, will test this further)
- If you spin out of a track, as you drive back into the track and accelerating, AIs will brake and not crash into you.

despite these small flaws, I am very impressed, it is a demo (incomplete) after all

more to come later.

With the AIs, if you use a slower car and get in the front, then park yourself in the racing line usually only 1 of the cars crashes into you.
When in the grass, handling the car and the speed/acceleration of the car is much more realistic then any game I think I have ever played.
These screenshots do no justice to how good the game really looks, those jaggies you see are mainly because the anti-aliasing seems to have been toned down because the GFX engines and Driving engine aren't completed.

*There is no GT-TV in the demo :cry: I will have to buy the prologue to watch the vids on my PS3 with out reconverting...

Definitely, my screen captures do not do the in game graphics justice. The game really looks amazing, one of the biggest improvement I've noticed is wheels' spinning animation, they look very convincing as cars accelerate. And I was really surprised when I saw other cars' rear-view mirrors also have reflections.

Just like db2450 said, there are few things that look either toned-down or incomplete. Such as jaggies from very minimal anti-aliasing, lower texture and lack of lighting effects in rear view mirrors, and the thing that bugs me the most tear and jumpy shadow.

for example, in this picture taken of my TV, you can see the shadow tear really badly. seems liek this usually happens right when the game/replay starts, after around 10-50 seconds into gameplay/replay, this problem disappears.
aaa.jpg

I am being very picky here, but I am in no way complaining, just pointing out few flaws I have noticed.

Interestingly on the Logitech G25 steering wheel, while driving the Daihatsu OFC-1, the car is only shift-able with the pedal shifters behind the wheel, H-pattern shifter does not work on the car. First I thought it's maybe it's because the Daihatsu uses sequential gearbox, but both the Evo X (which uses DSG) and GT-R (as far as we know uses sequential) shifts with the H-pattern in the game while the pedal shifters are useless.

Overall I am very impressed by this demo, can't wait to drive other cars as it gets unlocked during Tokyo Auto Show.:)

edit: oh ya, press O in menu will bring up really cool videos

Last edited:
I downloaded it (why the hell are the jap servers so much faster than everywhere elses) and was pretty unimpressed, graphics are pretty good but I didn't enjoy the driving (things like diving underbraking seem vastly over exagerated) and the sense of speed was a bit poor imo.

haha. I agree about he sense of speed, on my first lap I thought the Evo X was slow, then I changed it to bumper and felt right at home. All these years of playing GT with bumper view it was a bit hard to change.

After forcing myself a few laps with the interior view, I went from "meh" to loving it. Normally I don't even use cockpit view because the position is always wrong, however I truly believe GT5P have the best seating position and field of view out of all the racing games I've played with cockpit view (not including GTR2 because its seating is adjustable), sitting 3ft infront of my 60" SXRD actually felt like sitting in a real car.

The cockpit view amazed me even more when I was chasing down a NSX in the Evo X, the height of the Evo X and its siting position compared to the low profile of NSX once again reminded me just how different these cars are. And at that time, looking over Evo's dash at the tip of NSX's rear wing, I realized it looked exactly like the interior camera view in those Best Motoring races, it gave me this feeling that I was actually racing a NSX in real life, and I had never had this kind of experience in ANY racing game before.:blink:

BRING ON GT5 Prologue and GT5!

Is there some way you could adjust the difficulty? The game is so hard, I played it for an hour or so and never did I really could overtake anyone. The cars won't seem to turn in to corners at all and there really is no sense of speed.

And are there some driving aids that are on, because even the rearwheel drive cars are impossible to get sideways?

Con:
-Practically no tire smoke when flooring it from 0 mph
-Practclly no tire spin when flooring it from 0 mph
-Tires won?t spin when brake and gas pressed at same time (Forza will)
-Poor sense of speed
-Lackluster environment (I know it is a track and I?m not driving through the Alps)
-Beat it on the 2nd try with the Evo X, seemed like my car was better than other cars that should have beaten me
-Contrast is to great when looking into the sun, can?t see the details of the game (my settings on my TV are just fine)
-When in the car I can?t see anything that is in a shadow
-Poor selection of cars for a demo
-A lot of hype and I?m not impressed, especially for this being the first time that I?ve owned a console.

Pro:
-It?s a racing game with a lot of cars when it finally comes out.
-Cars look good under the right circumstances.

Last edited: