Gran Turismo 5

Thanks, I'll try those out. What I find difficult is that you can't correct your line at all while cornering (I drive with the "arrow" controls). In most cars you can use some throttle or brake while holding the arrow down to slightly correct your line but that always unsettles the Formula GT. Not to mention the time lost in acceleration without TC.

If you think about it, it's pretty hard to make these controls both realistic and drivable. The arrows are not pressure sensitive, so you have to simulate steering acceleration, or else you'd have full wheel lock at the touch of a button. But this means you can't turn the wheel as fast as you need to sometimes (i.e., to catch a slide). It really doesn't make any sense to me to use the d-pad.

I haven't played in days... bored with it.

I'm with you.

I have one race left in B-Spec so I'm grinding Bob up from 35 to 40 for it. I really can't be bothered to go back and do the 4 hour Mazda race or 9 hours at Tsubuka and grinding A-Spec past them has reached the point of ridiculousness. If I do the longer races, it will be a matter of several sessions driving the X1 until I've got enough laps to gold the race, then pulling over.

The gaps between the upper levels and the endurance races is just wide enough to take the fun out of A-Spec.

Last edited:
If you think about it, it's pretty hard to make these controls both realistic and drivable. The arrows are not pressure sensitive, so you have to simulate steering acceleration, or else you'd have full wheel lock at the touch of a button. But this means you can't turn the wheel as fast as you need to sometimes (i.e., to catch a slide). It really doesn't make any sense to me to use the d-pad.
Well, on the PS2 pad the D-pad buttons actually were pressure sensitive, which allowed me to use the controller for years to play GT3 and partly GT4. In fact I only never used the analogue sticks of the pad at all. And I was not happy at all to see that they took this feature out for the PSP as well as the PS3 controller. For the PS3 I don't really care because I have a wheel, but not having a pressure sensitive D-pad on the PSP basically floored GT-PSP for me.

Well, on the PS2 pad the D-pad buttons actually were pressure sensitive, which allowed me to use the controller for years to play GT3 and partly GT4. In fact I only never used the analogue sticks of the pad at all. And I was not happy at all to see that they took this feature out for the PSP as well as the PS3 controller. For the PS3 I don't really care because I have a wheel, but not having a pressure sensitive D-pad on the PSP basically floored GT-PSP for me.

The PSP game is ruined just as much by the lack of analog throttle control.

According to this the Dualshock 3 has a pressure sensitive d-pad as well, though I never knew about it. It still doesn't offer the precision of an analog stick.

Let's just say the PSP version is ruined by a lot of things. :yes:

According to this the Dualshock 3 has a pressure sensitive d-pad as well, though I never knew about it. It still doesn't offer the precision of an analog stick.
I stand corrected then, I didn't know that.

I hate playing any game with the analogue pad, I've used the arrows in pretty much any game I've ever played. I have a DFP for Live For Speed (and GT4 in the past) so I'm not interested in updating to 95% same DFGT just for PS3 compatibility. I'll get a G27 or something else with a clutch pedal and H-shifter sometime in the future when I'm a bit less broke.

Just asking ... you know the DFP works with GT5 as well, right?

Just asking ... you know the DFP works with GT5 as well, right?

It does? I thought it doesn't have PS3 compatibility or something when DFGT came out. I figured why they'd bring out such a similar wheel so I assumed it must be like DFP with PS3 compatibility. Well, I've moved to a new place where I can't bolt the wheel anywhere but if the DFP works with GT5 I just might have to speed up my process of finding something I can bolt it in to. Thanks for the heads up :D

It does? I thought it doesn't have PS3 compatibility or something when DFGT came out. I figured why they'd bring out such a similar wheel so I assumed it must be like DFP with PS3 compatibility. Well, I've moved to a new place where I can't bolt the wheel anywhere but if the DFP works with GT5 I just might have to speed up my process of finding something I can bolt it in to. Thanks for the heads up :D
You're welcome! I use the DFP with GT5, and it works excellently.

FGT series in Aspec is owning me as well. Almost got lapped in the first 20 lap race.

All buttons except for Select-button and Start-button on both Dualshock 3 and SIXAXIS controllers are analog.
They are all pressure sensitive like they were on the PS2 controllers. What I find hard to believe and amusing is that they made them almost impossible to use in GT5.

I found it easy, after some practice, to controll my throttle and braking with a pad in GT3.
Ofcourse i tried the same in GT5, does not work. to get 20~50%throttle power you have to gently blow on the X button. If you have even a slightly powerful car you have to use TC or you end up spinning your wheels for miles.

PD has taken a giant step back when it comes to playing GranTurismo with a simple pad.

I don't have a problem with anything other than the most powerful and twitchy RWD cars driving with the pad. It's hard to get it perfect, but it's better than spinning out of a corner or coming out too slowly. Adjusting throttle between 0% and 50% is pretty easy, it's getting it between 50% and 100% which is really hard, and annoyingly thats the amount you need for a number of high speed corners in powerful RWD cars.

Couldn't you just assign gas and brake to R2 and L2? They have quite long travel. Then steer with the stick and shift with X/square or the right stick.

The R2/L2 work fine for brake/gas but the controller is not very comfortable to use in that way.

The R2/L2 work fine for brake/gas but the controller is not very comfortable to use in that way.

i discovered the same issue with F1 2010 but then i found this:

Trigger.jpg

they cost around $5 (US) and they just clip on. im gonna pick some up tomorrow

The only thing I can do well with the DS3 is drifting. I can drift like hobo with it, but couldn't hold a powerslide for my life with the DFGT. Very puzzling.

The only thing I can do well with the DS3 is drifting. I can drift like hobo with it, but couldn't hold a powerslide for my life with the DFGT. Very puzzling.

Same here...and I've practiced and practiced and practiced. I think the FFB on the DFGT is just too slow for drifting.

Am I also the only one that struggles with correcting oversteer with the DFGT? I find I can't whip the wheel back around fast enough to catch the slide...I'm also nervous about ripping the wheel off my desk (which I've already done, during a license test, of course).