Gran Turismo 5

Yeah with a bit of practice it becomes really easy to initiate and catch a slide or just to catch an incoming slide :)

I have a lot more trouble with the end of the slide than the beginning. Often I end up over-correcting in an effort to move the wheel quickly enough and swerve in the opposite direction. It seems to require a very rapid and precise snap back to center on the steering wheel to straighten the car out.

I have a lot more trouble with the end of the slide than the beginning. Often I end up over-correcting in an effort to move the wheel quickly enough and swerve in the opposite direction. It seems to require a very rapid and precise snap back to center on the steering wheel to straighten the car out.

Quite true.
Starting the slide is usually easy. Making the car it regain traction and go straight is a bit more difficult.

Once the angular momentum is stopped, you can bring the wheel back to center. If you wait to center the wheel until the car starts straightening up, you'll have to move the wheel really quick to catch up. You can be pretty sedate with the wheel if you anticipate what's going to happen.

[video=youtube;bAr-lkr8Luo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAr-lkr8Luo[/video]

See, to me those are some pretty rapid movements when transitioning the slides. But to be fair, I don't think he straightened out once the in the entire video :p

I also find myself losing track of center when going hand over hand.

I guess I?m starting to get the hang of going sideways, still not sure how much I like the whole crazy-overheating-tyres feature though. But I suppose my experience with driving properly powerful cars on real tracks is too limited to judge whether or not this is in any way realistic.

I noticed something else: When I first started playing I really liked the fact that they really improved the sound compared to GT4, where all the cars sounded more or less the same. But as I?ve driven a number of cars by now, I?ve noticed that a lot of them still sound like crap. Especially a lot of the non-premium cars kinda sound like they took a recording from a dyno. There?s always that sort of spinning blender-like noise in the background... That?s a real shame, but I suppose that?s the only way you can put 1000+ cars in a game....

To be honest, sound is the only aspect of GT5 I really dislike.
How can they be so...artificial?

Same here.

In saying that, I was expecting the sounds to be quite good, since there are cars which can share them so the list would narrow down by a lot, but I wasn't expecting nearly all of the standard models to sound almost exactly alike. Which is like a Casio keyboard.

Casio keyboard is accurate. :lol:
The fact they are SO detailed in the visual characteristics probably makes it even worse. :shakeshead:

Well I don?t think the sounds are great, just not nearly as bad as in GT4. But that only goes for some cars... The Ruf Yellow Bird actually sounds pretty good (by GT5 standards of course). It at least makes a bit of that characteristic Porsche flat-6 noise that you would expect. Then you drive the Ruf BTR, which essentially has the same engine concept, and it just sounds like a combination of a lawnmower and a food blender, like most of the cars in the game... It?s amazing how they put so much attention to detail in to some aspects of the game, and then just didn?t bother with some other stuff...

Well I don?t think the sounds are great, just not nearly as bad as in GT4. But that only goes for some cars... The Ruf Yellow Bird actually sounds pretty good (by GT5 standards of course). It at least makes a bit of that characteristic Porsche flat-6 noise that you would expect. Then you drive the Ruf BTR, which essentially has the same engine concept, and it just sounds like a combination of a lawnmower and a food blender, like most of the cars in the game... It?s amazing how they put so much attention to detail in to some aspects of the game, and then just didn?t bother with some other stuff...

I can attest that the "startup" sound you get when you get in a car in your garage is extremely accurate for my car..... does not translate at all to in-game :?

I can attest that the "startup" sound you get when you get in a car in your garage is extremely accurate for my car..... does not translate at all to in-game :?
That's because the start-up sounds are actual sound samples recorded in the real world.

PD definitely recorded real car sounds for the game. There is footage of them recording exhaust and engine sounds on a dyno as well as on a track. Nonetheless, they either didn't use that material for whatever reason, or they were forced not to do so. Common opinion is that the small amount of RAM of the PS3 forced them to use low-quality samples. I don't buy that though. It doesn't sound so low-quality to me at all, it's just that the samples are completely off, and the sound engine is way too generic.

My best guess is the sounds need "embellishment" to sound good coming from normal TV speakers... this could be a case where realism goes too far. I don't know anything about audio engineering but I'm sure things needed to be done for otherwise normally recorded sounds to sound good in this context.

The funny thing is that the sound engine is quite capable in certain regards. For example, the sounds are positioned within the 3D space in real time. So if you play the in-game sounds through a multichannel setup, the sounds will be distributed within your room according to your view in the game. That is pretty cool. But the sound quality just doesn't give those things the context they deserve. The mix is off (some things too loud, some not loud enough), and it just sounds too thin and simulated.

Last edited:

Nope, doesn?t work for my car, not even at startup. The firts gen Cooper S also doesn?t sound one bit like the real thing, and that?s even a premium car. But the list of things they got wrong on the Mini is quite long anyway, they even managed to screw up a lot of the bodywork. The C63 also doesn?t have any of that wonderful bass of the real thing...

That's because the start-up sounds are actual sound samples recorded in the real world.

PD definitely recorded real car sounds for the game. There is footage of them recording exhaust and engine sounds on a dyno as well as on a track.
Well that definitely explains quite a lot, you can actually hear the whirring dyno noise in the background for many of the cars... :lol:
It also explains why the noise only changes according to engine speed, and doesn?t react to changes in throttle position at all.

Here's what Kaz had to say about GT5's sounds in this interview:

Kazunori Yamauchi said:
My perspective is that the sounds in Gran Turismo are just too real. With the recording method we use, we use a dyno and put the load on, and the sound we produce is just too accurate. I think it would be a good thing to sort of design the sound a little bit, and so that is something I would like to challenge ourselves with in the future.

What I find is that one of our themes with Gran Turismo is to create something that is real; that is what our team is focused on, but that can be an issue sometimes as well. If we see something in front of us, we try to reproduce that very accurately, and that tendency is getting stronger.

But, I think we maybe need to make things sexier sometimes, and I think that is something the Gran Turismo team might need to work on. It could also be because our team is growing in number, which could be one of our barriers to that goal.

I read that when it came out and I still think it's bullshit.

Bull shizzle.

Well actually, the sound of most of the cars sounds exactly like it?s been recorded on a dyno. The Yamauchi interview certainly explains the food blender noise you hear in the background. But as he says they apparently didn?t bother making sure that it actually sounds like an engine in the game itself. I?m pretty sure they didn?t dyno 1000+ cars though, which explains why most of them sound the same.

I realize that actually recording all the game sounds in the kind of studio-dyno that the manufacturers use (to improve the sound of their cars) would be a bit too expensive. But to claim that they were just trying to be true to reality is really pushing it a bit...