Gran Turismo 6

Playstation All Stars got two free new characters. Downloaded a huge update, saw the characters were locked, went to the store, waded through pages of unsorted skins and stupid icons to find them, downloaded the free 100 kb "uinlock" files, installed them, then back to the game. So it's not just GT5.

Also, we do not know that PD has been working on GT6 for the PS3 already. For all we know, they might have gathered more raw data on tracks and cars to start programming as soon as they lay their hands on the first PS4 developer stations.

So you're telling me they spent nearly 3 years just on gathering data for cars and tracks? :rolleyes: I don't think so; they started modeling new cars and tracks to be used on PS3 because PS4 dev kits only came less than a year ago.

Sorry, I still don't buy it. If they really are making GT6 for the PS3, I'll comfortably lean back, grab the popcorn and watch the shitstorm. I am sure they would be able to make a GT6 which basically is a better GT5 with more cars, more tracks, better performance and less weird game design decisions. But is that enough for paying a full game which basically is a rehash of an available game on an aging platform? GT6 would face Forza 5 on a next generation console.

Good luck!!! :tvhappy:

Why would you be so surprised if GT6 came out on the PS3 and not the PS4? Plenty of games came out on the PS2 exclusively just before and after the PS3 was launched because devs have spent years developing those games (in GT6s case, around 3 years) specifically for the previous-gen console and they're not gonna waste more time trying to convert it to the next gen, are they? GT will continue the tradition of 2 games per console with the 2nd game always being an updated version of the 1st one (all of you moaning about how GT6 will just be an improved GT5, well what do you think GT2 and GT4 were? ;)). GT6 will be released on the PS3 and they will start developing GT7 which will come out on the PS4 a couple of years down the road. :yes:

If that and it coming from a top Sony exec's mouth is not enough to convince you, then nothing will until it is actually released.

Last edited:
With PD's out of touch logic they might have been thinking: "GT4 was a great success and a big improvement over GT3 on the PS2... We shall do the same with GT5 to GT6 on the PS3!"

If this is actually the case it would be great material for one of those Hitler rant videos.

If that and it coming from a top Sony exec's mouth is not enough to convince you, then nothing will until it is actually released.

BINGO. I'm not believing anything regarding Gran Turismo games until I hold the motherfucking box in my own hands.

... one of those Hitler rant videos.

Please god no... I need to see another one of those like I need a swift kick to the head. The only Hitler Rant video that needs to be done is about too many Hitler rant videos.

As others have said, I'd prefer to see GT6 on the PS4 as a late launch title then see it exclusively on PS3. That said, Polyphony Digital doesn't always take the logical or intelligent route, so I wouldn't be surprised if they just put it on PS3. The really logical way to do it is to release a PS3 and PS4 version (or a dual pack that can play with either console). It would maximize sales, but I'm not sure how hard to accomplish that would be since the architecture of the new console is pretty different.

So you're telling me they spent nearly 3 years just on gathering data for cars and tracks? :rolleyes: I don't think so; they started modeling new cars and tracks to be used on PS3 because PS4 dev kits only came less than a year ago.
Given that creating cars and tracks is by far the most time-consuming work they have, yes, I think that's easily possible. Also don't forget they had plenty to do with GT5 after the release, fixing many wrongs they did.

Why would you be so surprised if GT6 came out on the PS3 and not the PS4? Plenty of games came out on the PS2 exclusively just before and after the PS3 was launched because devs have spent years developing those games (in GT6s case, around 3 years) specifically for the previous-gen console and they're not gonna waste more time trying to convert it to the next gen, are they? GT will continue the tradition of 2 games per console with the 2nd game always being an updated version of the 1st one (all of you moaning about how GT6 will just be an improved GT5, well what do you think GT2 and GT4 were? ;)). GT6 will be released on the PS3 and they will start developing GT7 which will come out on the PS4 a couple of years down the road. :yes:

If something someone randomly dropped in a stream of words is enough to completely convince you, be my guest. Regarding PD, nothing surprises me anymore. The good thing for me is that I am in the comfortable situation of not really caring, because GT5 was so bad that I will never blindly buy a GT anymore. I'll just lean back and watch what's going to happen, which also is the only thing we can do, because guesstimating will never reveal the truth. We'll know soon enough.

This thread got me thinking, and not in a way that is good for PD and sales.

It seems to me that the GT brand has stagnated a lot, and it really needs something new and innovative. I do still play it, but there is something that is just so bland and that is especially true of GT5. Other the quality of the graphics, almost everything was better in GT4. Way more to play, better and more interesting interface, and it seemed to work pretty well too. In all honesty, I would have rather them just spent time updating GT4 to better graphics rather then spending all the time making GT5 for more then half a decade.

I honestly don't know what PD can do to change for the better for GT6, but its gonna need to be leaps and bounds better then GT5 was for me to consider buying it anywhere close to release date (especially given that I'd likely need to buy the console along with it).

I'd almost rather see Polyphony Digital quit the GT franchise and start with something else then see another GT5esque game. It was allright, but honestly "allright" isn't enough anymore, if it ever was.

Last edited:
^ I personally think PD needs to spend some time with Forza. While it doesn't have the physics or graphics of GT5, it has a better and more interesting game design IMO. They could also make AI that actually, wait for it, RACES, and perhaps AI cars that are actually subject to physics.

Playstation All Stars got two free new characters. Downloaded a huge update, saw the characters were locked, went to the store, waded through pages of unsorted skins and stupid icons to find them, downloaded the free 100 kb "uinlock" files, installed them, then back to the game. So it's not just GT5.

Uncharted 3 opens the store from inside the game, but it doesn't like doing it. Maybe a PS3 limitation?

^ I personally think PD needs to spend some time with Forza. While it doesn't have the physics or graphics of GT5, it has a better and more interesting game design IMO. They could also make AI that actually, wait for it, RACES, and perhaps AI cars that are actually subject to physics.

This is just one reason why I haven't fired up my PS3 for almost a year.

Uncharted 3 opens the store from inside the game, but it doesn't like doing it. Maybe a PS3 limitation?

Probably; even though it has a beast of a processor, it's bottle-necked by the GPU and RAM (it also can't download anything while playing a game).

Probably; even though it has a beast of a processor, it's bottle-necked by the GPU and RAM (it also can't download anything while playing a game).

Don't give the Cell processor that much credit. When it was developed, it was a beast of a processor, but today it is on par with desktop processors from 2-3 generations ago. Game developers have said that the way the system and video RAM are accessed is the largest bottle-neck when it comes to game development on the PS3. If the PS3 had more ram that was more easily accessible, we would see better performance in cross-platforms games. The Xbox 360 has a slower CPU, and a GPU similar in performance, but it is able to give better performance in most cross-platform games because it has more RAM that is easily accessible (Both system and GPU ram). There are only two things that the PS3 has always been better at in cross-platform games, and that is AA and lighting (Specifically shadow detail).

I do not own an Xbox 360, I only own an N64 and a PS3. I prefer the PS3 exclusives over what the Xbox has and the free multiplayer (although I subscribe to PS+) which is why I got the PS3. The added bonus of having the best platform to view Netflix on is also a plus. (Super HD and Dolby 5.1 surround sound :cool:)

Also, more fuel for the fire on the GT6 debate on it being a PS3 or PS4 game.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/28/gran-turismo-6-on-ps3-this-year-sony-exec-says/

This year?

:rofl:

Well, they did show GT5 at E3 2009 and planned on releasing it that year, but ended up releasing it a whole year later because they built the game engine from scratch and probably had a lot of bugs to fix. I think GT6 will be announced at E3 this year and the projected release date will be Holiday 2013; I think they can get the game finished in time for that release because they're essentially just adding on to GT5's engine so the amount of work they have to do isn't nearly as much as they had to do for GT5 (and they have around 3 years of development already).

Last edited:
My guess is that GT6 is just going to be what GT5 should have been, and then GT7 will be a PS4 release.

Just as long as they redesign the entire menu system for GT6, I will be happy.

There's still plenty of life in the PS3 for a while to come. Don't forget Sony sold ten's of millions of PS2s while the PS3 came out.
Tho it would make more sense to release GT6 before the PS4 came out, not sure how likely this is. What they can't do anymore with the PS4 release so close is having different car/track 'qualities'. (i.e standard/premium). Everything should look amazing.

A PS4 GT is probably going to be a fair way away yet.

Polyphony Digital employees were recently spotted at L.M. Gianetti, a high-end racing garage and engineering company based in Turin, Italy.

L.M. Gianetti?s garage is home to some very special cars, including the Ferrari P4/5 Competizione, Martini Racing?s Lancia Delta HF Integrale, and the Alfa Romeo 155 Touring Car ? a car that?s been very popular with Gran Turismo fans since it first appeared in Gran Turismo 2.

The Polyphony Digital team can be seen collecting data in photographs posted yesterday on L.M. Gianetti?s Facebook page. Curiously, the gallery has been titled ?SCANSIONE PER GRAN TURISMO PS4?, which translates to ?Scanning for Gran Turismo PS4?.

Thanks to Big_Ste for the tip!
http://www.gtplanet.net/ferrari-p45...lyphony-digital-for-future-gran-turismo-game/

Every time I see this happening, I can't help to think that they should be busy making a proper game structure before filling it with more content. I know these guys probably are from a different branch of PD, but it reminds me of Gran Turismo rather being "Kazunori Yamauchi's personal car museum" than a game made for the general public.

Last edited:
That is a good thing, but then again they must not dare to put standard models in GT6.