Gran Turismo HD - The biggest next gen rip off yet!

Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi discussed details of Gran Turismo: HD, including the split modes of the game. But what's interesting are the new details that Yamauchi let slip in the talk. First is that Sony will put up a PlayStation Store service and of course GT HD is included.

The PlayStation Store is accessible in the PS3's main menu and players will be able to buy new cars and tracks of the game. At the launch of the service, 30 new cars and one new course will be downloadable for the premium mode and it will be updated with more cars and tracks as the service progresses. The classic mode has a target of 770 new cars, 51 courses and 4,500 items, but at the start of the service only 51 items will be downloadable.

Another interesting revelation is the plans of Polyphony Digital to add car damage into GT HD and it will be available some time in 2007. An updated AI routine is also revealed in the talk which will be available for download in the first half of 2007. Meanwhile, the GT HD demo in the TGS event features a choice between "normal" and "professional" driving models, with Yamauchi commenting that "professional" offers more realistic driving experience. Yamauchi also updated the audiences on the developments for GT5. He said that it's taking them more time to develop the game, with one car for GT5 taking half a year to develop. He hinted that it may be available in 2008.

http://ps3.qj.net/New-details-on-Gran-Turismo-HD/pg/49/aid/67330

While some of the new developments sound good, I hate the aspect of having to buy upgrades. They'd be good if the game was already packed and the extras would be like a sort of expansion pack, but making the game bare bones is unfair. Hopefully all this will be sorted out for GT5, the real next generation Gran Turismo game. :p

Well, I was discussing this with a friend of mine, and a thought occured to me. I took two tylenol for the resulting headache...

All kidding aside, I did think of one advantage of this. Since the online mode is all pay stuff, it does impeed the rate at which people can have uber cars and uber garages -- stuff that may otherwise hamper gameplay. And it could keep people from cheating in the offline component, creating monster cars, and then taking these unfair machines online. It looks like better regulation, however, at the cost of our wallets.

Granted, I wish that they would at least put a few cars in the game itself for us to start out with (or maybe have your first car be free), but it does cut down on the mucking about. Online mode doesn't need to be tracked to coincide with offline mode, and what you offline doesn't effect your status online. Can't earn money in online races for offline purchases, etc. Two seperate game play modes, etc.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see...

hmm.. should I buy a car or PS3.. argh :bangin:

God I hope that road you see on the end of the video is a track you can drive. Somehow I doubt it though.

di-did you guys see the Ferrari? it was the red one :) I would very much like to purchase it.

Ferrari.

No you don't :-D

Those screenshots are just that, screenshots. They are cars on a white field, Forza 2, PGR and TDU will/already have that kind of detail, but in the ACTUAL game.
GT:HD professional will have that detail in the actual game. Please do inform yourself before you make claims like this. <_<

I'll believe it when I see it... I don't have the blind faith in Sony that you do. As it stands now, it's just static screenshots, on a white background...
What about the 720p videos you can download on the official site, don't they count as well?

They look no better than the Xbox360 games... I don't see the need to spend an additional $200 for a PS3, there's no evidence that the PS3 is better.
Yeah, but looks and feel are two different things. Other games look good, too, but they are nowhere near GT. So I want that very game, and I'll buy the platform it will be released on. I'm no particular Sony fan either, and I wish it would be released on ther platforms, too, but that won't happen. So, I'm stuck with the PS3. As long as there is no racing game that comes even close to what GT gives me, there's no alternative for me.

How 'bout your "that's just static, not moving" arguments by the way? Or are we past that now? :mrgreen:

How 'bout your "that's just static, not moving" arguments by the way? Or are we past that now? :mrgreen:

No, the car model in the video wasn't detailed like the screenshot claims it will be. I still think the screenshots are pre-rendered outside of the game engine, not what you will actually get in gameplay. It is impressive, but the car models in the videos are the same if not worse quality than those in TDU.

To me Gran Turismo isn't worth $570 - $670. One game is a dumb reason to support a company that treats their customers like crap (if you need evidence of that, you obviously haven't kept up with all of the statements Sony has made).