No 56k: Grand Theft Auto IV

Does the PS3's controller have the same "trigger" buttons on the back (L1/R1 etc.) like the Xbox 360? Whenever I play any driving game on the 360 I love using those triggers for the throttle and brakes.

And when the PC version comes out, you can just use your pedals (if you have a wheel) for throttle/brake control. Or you can also get a PC controller that has the same sort of "triggers" as the 360's. I wouldn't want to play a PC game with a controller because the whole point of playing PC games is to use keyboard and mouse. Which is a lot more fun than a controller.

Yes, the PS3 L2 and R2 buttons have a 'trigger' effect like the 360, not being just buttons like the PS2 was.

Finally got to play it for like 2 minutes yesterday and watched it being played until the girls made us turn it off. Just wow driving is far better in the game, I mean I was a bit drunk at the time but it was still awesome, and the aim is a hell of a lot better, the city is huge we stayed in almost the same place for the hour and a bit it was played and it never got boring, so much detail. What a great game.

It is a sad day as my PS3 is one of the consoles having freezing issues with GTA IV. It only happened to me twice in two separate days but now it's worse because the game simply refuses to load at all. After all the pictures are shown and the name of the last mission appears to be loading, the console stays like that for minutes and minutes.

How come such a big issue wasn't noticed??? It's quite frustrating spending 65? in a console game which simply doesn't want to work. :(

Vltros - I've had similar happen to me once, and by completely accident, I found that you simply need to go into Game Saves in XMB, there will be 2 files, one with the title of your last complete mission (your game save) and the other smaller file that is your game settings (video adjustment etc).

Delete the settings file and that should fix the loading problem, just remember to re-adjust your settings afterwards.

Vltros - I've had similar happen to me once, and by completely accident, I found that you simply need to go into Game Saves in XMB, there will be 2 files, one with the title of your last complete mission (your game save) and the other smaller file that is your game settings (video adjustment etc).

Delete the settings file and that should fix the loading problem, just remember to re-adjust your settings afterwards.

Thanks for the advice chilicoke!! But it didn't work :cry:

You expect this kind of problems with PC games but in a console...? With a console you are supposed to put the disc in and play, but nowadays the games are so buggy that it's like having an old PC and trying to make the latest game playable in it :(

I can has graphics bug?

gta4bad.gif

LALALALALALA I CAN'T SEE IT, IT'S NOT THERE!

As you may have guessed, I don't have GTA IV yet, because my 360 has only just got back in this country. :cry:

I can has graphics bug?

gta4bad.gif
Haven't had anything like that happen to me yet. My system did freeze once during a cutscene though.

Played the game alittle yesterday on my brotherinlaws PS3.

Was a lot of fun. GTA4 and GT5 are slowly pulling me towards a PS3 purchase. :p

It is a sad day as my PS3 is one of the consoles having freezing issues with GTA IV. It only happened to me twice in two separate days but now it's worse because the game simply refuses to load at all. After all the pictures are shown and the name of the last mission appears to be loading, the console stays like that for minutes and minutes.

How come such a big issue wasn't noticed??? It's quite frustrating spending 65? in a console game which simply doesn't want to work. :(

Try disconnecting the internet connection and see if that helps,
Rockstar 12 Step fix

Just came on here to post the same thing. This is my first time trying to play since trying out the game. Just says loading-misson name...and nothing. I fell asleep for maybe 10-15 mins, and still nothing. Will follow the steps people mentioned...

X2 I'm waiting another week or so. If they don't come out with a patch or something, I'm returning the game for a full refund. So much for quality control Rockstar. <_<

I've finally had my taste of GTA4. I absolutely love it! <3

I've played both versions, and I prefer the Xbox 360 version. It runs at a higher resolution (PS3 can only run 620p or lower, and yes I mean 620p) and I prefer the controls. I didn't really notice any pop up issues on either console. Driving does take some getting used to, and you can't come screaming into corners anymore. The brake is required! While it is harder, the cars do actually feel planted and like real cars, unlike in older GTAs, where they felt like they were floating all over the place. Euphoria also is a welcome addition, and nothing beats pushing people over in the streets. The shooting is vastly improved over past console GTAs (I always had the PC versions, so it was never much of an issue), and after you get familiar with it, it's very easy to get headshots.

I love this game. I just need to get a Xbox360..

Mine froze at "Loading" today when I turned it on, but signing out of PSN did the trick! :)

It runs at a higher resolution (PS3 can only run 620p or lower, and yes I mean 620p)

Uh, I'm playing it at 1080p via HDMI on my LCD monitor right now...

Getting off PSN worked. Thanks guys. I've banged Michelle twice now. How do I lose a weapon so I can check out the strip club?

Mine froze at "Loading" today when I turned it on, but signing out of PSN did the trick! :)

Uh, I'm playing it at 1080p via HDMI on my LCD monitor right now...
By pixel counting, people found that GTA4 on PS3 is rendered in 640p and upscaled to 720p via software scaling. You can force it to upscale to 1080p by disabling both 720p and 1080i in PS3's video settings, but the resolution it renders at is still the same. Both versions have great visuals and logical people will quickly realize there are no noticeable visual difference after seeing both versions running, only people blinded by pride will argue which (their) version is better.

Last edited:
Getting off PSN worked. Thanks guys. I've banged Michelle twice now. How do I lose a weapon so I can check out the strip club?

Just change your weapons to your hands, and they'll let you in.

I've gotten all three islands opened, but there's still a good number of missions left.